New Bridge Pickup won't work by itself

For help with setups and other technical issues.
reese_jpg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New Bridge Pickup won't work by itself

Post by reese_jpg » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:07 am

Hey all,
I've got a Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazzmaster I wanted to mod a bit. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan JB, and everything's been working perfect. All of a sudden, the bridge pickup is really quiet, to the point my amp at max volume is quieter than what I normally have it at 30% volume.
My original guess was that my first attempt at soldering was bad, but the bridge pickup works at perfect volume when I have it set the the middle position. I tapped every pole piece and got a good loud sound, but as soon as i set it back the the bridge only, it's quiet again.
My only guess now is that the toggle switch could be bad? The neck pickup, in the past, has just cut out if I switch it too fast, so it wouldn't be the first issue with it. I'm pretty new to this, so any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated

Update: I just used some contact cleaner and it fixed the problem
Last edited by reese_jpg on Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lame Pseudonym
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Bridge Pickup won't work by itself

Post by Lame Pseudonym » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:42 am

You've probably got it. I used to think that a switch is either on or off but sometimes there's some weird halfway.

But check your wiring too.

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:32 am

Is the "30%" sound really bright? Does your tone control now also act like a volume?

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:51 pm

Get a good replacement switch. Ignore Fender parts and go for Switchcraft. Get one the same shape as you already have because you know it will fit.

Right angle: https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/to ... witchcraft

Standard: https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/to ... witchcraft
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain