What is going on here? (Bass VI static weirdness)

For help with setups and other technical issues.
daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

What is going on here? (Bass VI static weirdness)

Post by daemon » Sun May 30, 2021 5:21 am

I just got this Squier CV Bass VI a couple months back and have played it a bit but not extensively. I put some La Bellas on it yesterday and noticed that there was an occasional scratchy sound (more evident because I was using delay). I just started moving my fingers across the pickguard and that's apparently what triggers it. It's most prominent in the bridge pickup but can be heard slightly in the others. I don't think it had anything to do with the strings being changed, but I probably wasn't using the bridge pickup before and the delay so that combination probably just made it more obvious. Any ideas on what would be causing this? It happens whether I'm touching the strings or not.

https://youtu.be/Te_rQSeVAlc

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What is going on here? (Bass VI static weirdness)

Post by ChrisDesign » Sun May 30, 2021 11:37 am

Very easy to fix this one
1. Remove the scratches and electronics
2. Apply aluminium or copper foil to the scratch plate’s under side. Check eBay for kits
3. Put the some foil on the body to sit beneath the scratch plate and the metal plates.
4. Reassemble the guitar.

Your scratch plate static will now be earthed through the metal plates.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:12 am

I had a similar problem with my Firebird. I though it was a grounding issue for a long time because I’ve rewired it multiple times.( it still might be) But I read a Thread where someone mentioned rubbing down the plastics with drier sheets, and that fixed it for me for the time being. I’ll keep you posted, as I don’t know how long term of a solution it is.

The above sounds like a much more permanent fix. I’ll give that a shot next time I have the strings off.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:29 am

The drier sheets work but do wear off in a little while. I use them on guitars where I can’t connect the scratch plate to ground in a hidden way (such as my Partscaster Cabronita).

It’s easy to make a connection with foil tape from the scratch plate to the control plate on a Bass VI, so it’s worth doing when you can.

By the way, this static noise is really common in my experience - I daresay the precise recipe of plastic of the plate and the climate/weather play a role in how bad it is.
All the cheeses....