Black Bobbins!

For help with setups and other technical issues.
MirageIndigo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Black Bobbins!

Post by MirageIndigo » Wed May 05, 2021 7:31 am

Shout out for the BlackBobbins from Shelby Pollard (basically stagger height JM Lollars with Alnico 2s + something). Just got a set installed in the 62AVRI and they're fabulous. I'm running with a stock RC circuit, a 500KA tone and volume pot and a .022uf cap. (I need to reduce the cap size). Also Mike is right and the Lollar pickup foam is amazing.

Easily as good as the Novak set in the other JM (which also sound good). I can't quite describe the sound. They seem to be more "mellow" than the novaks, but I haven't gotten a chance for an A/B comparison with similar heights, etc.

Fozzie Guillen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Black Bobbins!

Post by Fozzie Guillen » Wed May 05, 2021 8:36 am

Nice! I'm currently trying to decide between Black Bobbins and the regular set from Lollar. Was there one reason or another that swayed you toward the Black Bobbins?

MirageIndigo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MirageIndigo » Wed May 05, 2021 3:20 pm

The Mike Adams video were he put them in R2. They seemed a little more warm and diffuse than the regular lollars (which also sound great). The part of the JM sound I dig is the more "unfocused" version of the strat sound. By unfocused I guess I mean "slightly more compressed with less transient attack spike". The BB seemed to be more in that direction.

The other main reason was I'm guessing Shelby is pretty maniacal in his tone quest, so who am I to argue.

artmem
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by artmem » Fri May 07, 2021 7:07 pm

Anyone know how they compare to Antiquity I?

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Sat May 08, 2021 1:59 am

artmem wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:07 pm
Anyone know how they compare to Antiquity I?
I'd imagine pretty similar. They're both based on a similar era of pickup - the BBs are meant to simulate degaussed magnets so if I had to hazard a guess I'd expect the BBs to have a slightly softer attack than the A1s and maybe not as bright. Considering Shelby also digs 280K pots I'd think he's trying to defeat a lot of sharp treble in his signal.

Addendum: I know for a fact Mike Adams/Puisheen has had both in his guitars, so maybe hit him up on his socials (if you use any of the same platforms) or via YouTube. I've found he's pretty good at getting around to replying.