Humbucker recommendation to “match” with Lollar Jaguar neck

For help with setups and other technical issues.
javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Humbucker recommendation to “match” with Lollar Jaguar neck

Post by javier-san » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:38 am

So, I have a player Jaguar with a Lollar neck p/u. What humbucker would you recommend as a nice compliment to that?

Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Humbucker recommendation to “match” with Lollar Jaguar neck

Post by Beebe » Sat May 01, 2021 11:45 am

Is it this pickup?

https://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar-ot ... ups/jaguar

If so they recommend 6.3k for the bridge

"Avg. DC: Neck 5.8K, Bridge 6.3K"

That would be a pretty low output for a traditional humbucker sound. So the question would be: do you want a heavy humbucker sound (something like over 10k equivalent output), do you want a middle hotness output like a P-90 (around 8-9k for bridge), or do you just want no hum and have the output that matches the neck (6.3k)? The other question would be: do you want it to look like a jaguar pickup or a humbucker? If you want it to look like a jaguar and you don't want the super heavy output then Kinman should be able to get you the mid level output of a vintage humbucker or P90 with the Punk-Jag, and lower outputs to more closely match the Lollar with the Surf or Blues Jag. Let them know what you are looking for and they can help you out.

https://www.mobile.kinman.com/products/ ... ickups.php

Note the resistance doesn't directly translate to output, especially in hum canceling options, but it gives you an idea. You can ask Kinman, for example, if the Surf-Jag has an output close to a 6.3k Lollar and they will be able to tell you and possibly under or over wind it as needed.
Without music, life would be a mistake.

Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beebe » Sat May 01, 2021 11:56 am

Just looked at the Player and you probably want a humbucker shape. That leaves you more options as I think a PAF style humbucker would work, as they would be in the 8-9 k output range. And there are affordable or expensive options. You could always move the neck pickup a little closer to the strings and move the bridge pickup a littler further if you want a closer match in volume.

Edit:

If you go much lower on the output it might not sound like a humbucker to you as it will get brighter. If you can find a neck pickup with the same pole spacing as a bridge pickup then that could get you a little lower on the output. Looks like Lollar can underwind the Imperial bridge pickup down to 7.9k

https://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar-hu ... -humbucker

They can also probably help you get the pickups wired and oriented properly for phase and series / parallel preferences.

Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beebe » Sat May 01, 2021 12:25 pm

Me again. ... And the TV Jones TV Classic Plus in a humbucker mount at 7.8k output would be a really cool option. The white cover would probably look nice with a white Jag pickup:

https://tvjones.com/tv-classic-plus-bri ... ker-mount/

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sat May 01, 2021 2:51 pm

I'd hazard a guess that the Lollar Low-Wind Imperial would be a good solution.

Most any humbucker in the neck will be difficult to balance with the bridge in terms of output level... but a nice 7k PAF-style might be manageable.

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Mon May 03, 2021 8:56 pm

Thanks for the replies, y'all!

I think I might be going a different route....going for creamery baby 71' pickup set. Using a couple of switches to coil-split them for a variety of sounds.