Pickup height for Mojo Jazzmaster Goldfoils

For help with setups and other technical issues.
ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pickup height for Mojo Jazzmaster Goldfoils

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been experimenting with my pickup height for my Jazzmaster with Mojo (UK) Goldfoils, and I can't seem to quite dial them in at the moment. Anyone have any ballpark estimated pickup heights to set them to so I can tweak them from there?

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickup height for Mojo Jazzmaster Goldfoils

Post by hwestman » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:07 am

According to Lollar:
"Bridge pickups should be typically set around 1/8″ from the stings and the neck around 3/16″ to 1/4″ from the strings. Actual placement must be set by ear and varies from player to player."

I'd go about it by setting the bridge pickup close to the strings and adjust downwards until I get a sound I like.
After that adjust neck heigth so that they balance output wise.
Then I'd play a little bit with the neck pickup to see if a slight adjustment downwards or upwards sounds better. And possibly adjust the bridge pickup again.

But overall there's no real mystery to it. Some pickups just don't sound right no matter where we set them. Recently got a new bridge pickup with a slightly taller coil and more wire that on paper seemed to be exactly what I wanted.

But once installed it had this annoying midrange spike that I couldn't dial out. Did a lot of adjusting the heigth and thought I heard improvements but when recording it became painfully clear that I would never be able to get on with it.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickup height for Mojo Jazzmaster Goldfoils

Post by Debaser » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:33 pm

What pots are you using? I have a set of Novak JM gold foils that I used with 1megs and changed to 500k, and i’m mostly happy as they are a ‘foil’ to everything else I play. Please excuse my lame puns.

I’d continue to use your ear and basic self-checking to see if those pickups make you happy, rather than thinking a poster will give you a magic number. Maybe its the idea of the thing vs what they really sound like. Maybe it’s tone expectations are always a moving goal post. Either way, just be real with yourself. A set of pickup should move you right from the get-go, and if they dont, well move them on...maybe. ::)
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...