High E Goin outa Whack! Wi trems

For help with setups and other technical issues.
fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: High E Goin outa Whack! Wi trems

Post by fisonic » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:34 am

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:02 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:44 pm
IMO GHS Boomers are the best "every day" string out there. Nels Cline agrees. :D
I'm not Nels Cline, but I also agree 100%. I've tried most of the major string brands out there, but GHS Boomers have been my go-to string for 20 years now.

Apparently GHS makes a "reinforced" version of Boomers which should help to prevent the issue that the OP mentioned, though you may have luck on the standard versions.

bjornsynneby
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bjornsynneby » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:17 am

If you use the jazzmaster tremolo much and the string unwinds at the ball end this can be due to friction somewhere along the string. You can read this link:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=64368

I listed some causes of and steps against the problem with friction below.

The lower large screw head at the tremolo can be rubbing against the string. This can be solved with raising the bridge by shimming the neck or mounting the tremolo screws from the back of the tremolo plate so there is no screw head in the way.

If the string end ball is vertically oriented there can be friction between the string and the ball. This could be solved by putting the ball in a horisontal position and/or soldering the ball to the string and soldering the winding aswell.

The nut can give extra friction if it is not properly adjusted. You can apply some lube there and see if the problem disappears.

If you have a non rocking bridge there can be excessive friction there from the saddle slot if its worn down.

I had this problem with my DIY jazzmasters but the problems disappeared when I got the proper combination of nut/tremolo/bridge/shim for the guitars. Now I don’t need to solder my strings.

( I mostly use Ernie Ball 0.010-0.052” strings as I use an open D tuning.)