Mastery Issue with Marr Jaguar - Post Spacing?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JimboMansonMB-1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Mastery Issue with Marr Jaguar - Post Spacing?

Post by JimboMansonMB-1 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:58 pm

hey everyone!

I'm having an issue trying to install a Mastery Bridge in a Johnny Marr Jaguar body and I was wondering if anyone else here has run up against this.

I bought a Mastery M1 kit today from a local shop, with the understanding that depending on the year my Jag was made the thimbles might not fit the Mastery, and in that case I'd have to pull them & install the set of Mastery thimbles - simple enough! I tried it when I got home and the Mastery didn't drop in, and I noticed that it seemed like the Mastery was too wide to fit the stock thimbles. strange, but I figured maybe the diameter of the Mastery thimbles was slightly larger to accommodate for the difference; so, I pulled the stock thimbles out using the soldering iron method and was surprised to see that they both fit the posts of the Mastery when I tried it out - also strange. next I stuck the Mastery thimbles halfway into the body (as shown in the photo below) so that I wouldn't have to heat them up as well to get them back out, and tried it with those - sure enough, the Mastery's post spacing was still too wide. you can see in the photo that when one post sits inside the thimble, the other one is off-center and catches on the lip.

so my question - what's going on here? my understanding was that the M1 would be a drop-in replacement for any American Jaguar, either with the stock thimbles, or with the Mastery thimbles. did I somehow end up with the wrong size bridge in an M1 tin? I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with the body itself - it's definitely a Marr body, and the bridge I'd been using (the 52mm American Pro bridge w/ Mustang saddles) sat in the stock thimbles just fine.

using a set of calipers, the Mastery's outer post width is 81.4mm, where the American Pro is 79.5mm - so there's clearly a difference there.

thanks in advance for your help!

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mastery Issue with Marr Jaguar - Post Spacing?

Post by adamrobertt » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:53 pm

Are you following the install instructions? It's pretty crucial that the posts are loose when you are inserting them. If they are tight, they can be very difficult to insert.

JimboMansonMB-1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JimboMansonMB-1 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:50 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:53 pm
Are you following the install instructions? It's pretty crucial that the posts are loose when you are inserting them. If they are tight, they can be very difficult to insert.
welp, that was exactly the issue - I didn't realize there were install instructions beyond "drop it in where your old bridge used to be" :fp: thanks for the heads up!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:30 pm

Yeah there's more involved than you'd think. In case anyone else needs the instructions ...
https://masterybridge.com/wp-content/up ... 3_15-1.pdf
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.