Stock 2020 Classic Vibe Jazzmaster Setup / Tuning Issues

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Hogenson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Stock 2020 Classic Vibe Jazzmaster Setup / Tuning Issues

Post by Hogenson » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:01 am

I just got a new cv 60. I put a .5 shim in. Using 9-46 strings. Very little issue with tunning using the vibrato bar. Used a tool to adjust vibrato arm to 90 degrees. When I changed the strings I ran them back and forth in the nut slots to set them in. Put nutlub on everything. I replaced all the wiring, pots and cap. Put copper tape on pickguard. I also added another volume pot for the neck pickup. I like how it now works like a LP. I have order Novak jm-v neck and jm-fat for bridge. It doesn't sound bad now just weak pickups compared to my other guitars. Good luck.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:48 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:42 am

3) Fluctuations are normal. Setting intonation is an art, not an exact science. It will never be 100% perfect. You're seeing the fluctuations because you're using a more accurate tuner,
I've always done my intonation a little strange but it's worked for me for decades. I set it all up as close as possible using a tuner then do the final adjustments by ear to get that 'happy medium'. Fighting for perfect intonation all they way up and down is impossible so you might as well just play a few notes and chords and set it to where it sounds it's best musically around the neck.

But I'm a weirdo so feel free to ignore me.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

specialmonkey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by specialmonkey » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:24 am

muffonrat wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:46 am
Looking at the picture you posted, I would suggest flipping the bridge backwards so that the screw heads face the pick ups.
This way is easier to intonate accurately imo since the springs will be able to stretch rather than being compressed.
That is a very interesting thought, I wonder though, would it result in less extreme saddle position, or only less compression on the springs, seems like a good idea?

specialmonkey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by specialmonkey » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:26 am

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:10 am
For reference, if it is any help...

This is my MIJ JM with a Staytrem and 10s. I think I just have a little business card shim in there, but it's a while since I've had the neck off.

It is rattle free and plays nicely, so I think the bridge is high enough. It intonates well with the low E barrel almost identical in scale to yours at 25 21/32". That suggests that your bridge may be a little bit forward of mine.

I'd say that flipping the bridge is a good idea and if it plays in tune, then you are good to go. You could also try another set of strings, maybe a different brand. Sometimes you get a duff set. I would expect to see a bit more stagger from E to D and from G to E than your saddles show, which makes me wonder about the strings.

Oh and +1 to all the comments about adjusting the nut (pinging is a giveaway for me).
Thanks for the info and suggestions. Nice looking guitar too!

Hubble
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hubble » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:01 am

Hello - hopefully my questions are on topic but feel free to move this post to a more appropriate one if need be. (I’m new here).

I’m looking at a 2019 MIJ jazzmaster, having owned a CV Squier. I’m a lefty so my choice is limited. The squier came with a modern bridge. No string slipping issues but I do have trouble keeping the thing in tune. The MIJ bridge looks period correct. I’m wondering if anyone has problems with it.
Also the MIJ has a U shaped neck - I’m keen to hear opinions on that too. And how do pickups compare? Are you MIJ owners happy with them or do you upgrade?

I know I’m in the same situation as many of you have been, by the time I upgrade the Squier with tuners, pickups, pots, shielding, etc I’m getting close to MIJ prices, (well not quite) and if I upgrade the MIJ I’m getting close to US prices. ( but having said that, I like the colour of the MIJ!)

Any thoughts on these matters would be greatly appreciated!

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:57 am

Hubble wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:01 am
Hello - hopefully my questions are on topic but feel free to move this post to a more appropriate one if need be. (I’m new here).

I’m looking at a 2019 MIJ jazzmaster, having owned a CV Squier. I’m a lefty so my choice is limited. The squier came with a modern bridge. No string slipping issues but I do have trouble keeping the thing in tune. The MIJ bridge looks period correct. I’m wondering if anyone has problems with it.
Also the MIJ has a U shaped neck - I’m keen to hear opinions on that too. And how do pickups compare? Are you MIJ owners happy with them or do you upgrade?

I know I’m in the same situation as many of you have been, by the time I upgrade the Squier with tuners, pickups, pots, shielding, etc I’m getting close to MIJ prices, (well not quite) and if I upgrade the MIJ I’m getting close to US prices. ( but having said that, I like the colour of the MIJ!)

Any thoughts on these matters would be greatly appreciated!
I have one of the special order left handed Jazzmasters from 2016 - first time in a long time we could get a new JM (the year that the Belgian shop managed to order 50 but then there were loads in the USA). Fender have released new models each year since then.

Anyways, the bridge was fine. I had a mastery knocking about so put that on there. The pickups were not fine. I got some creamerys in mine. With the bridge & the pickups, it’s a killer guitar. C shape neck though.

But, I have a Mustang with a U shape neck. And it really doesn’t feel any different to my mustang with a c shape neck.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Hubble
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hubble » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:17 pm

Thank you for the swift reply!

Good to hear your thoughts. Especially about the neck. I have found that MIJ/CIJ guitar necks tend to be a bit more slender than US models so maybe that accounts for the U shape not feeling too different from a C shape?

I guessed that the pickups would need changing and Creamery sound like a good way to go -or I was thinking Novak. Probably change the wiring and pots too. As I said earlier, it’s easy to get up to US price once you’ve added the upgrades. I’ve found an American Professional JM and it’s only £300 more than the MIJ and still a possibility, but I’ve heard that the VMod pickups are not wound like a true JM pickup, more like a single coil - plus I really like the faded pink colour of the Japanese model!

Thanks again for your help.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:29 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:48 pm
adamrobertt wrote:

3) Fluctuations are normal. Setting intonation is an art, not an exact science. It will never be 100% perfect. You're seeing the fluctuations because you're using a more accurate tuner,
I've always done my intonation a little strange but it's worked for me for decades. I set it all up as close as possible using a tuner then do the final adjustments by ear to get that 'happy medium'. Fighting for perfect intonation all they way up and down is impossible so you might as well just play a few notes and chords and set it to where it sounds it's best musically around the neck.

Makes sense to me.

Piano tuners dont use an electronic tuner most of the time, by preference.
May end up as 'strech tuning' and that is where that comes from. No piano is perfectly in tune, whatever that means, although it kind of is really, in the aural way that higher harmonics and fluctuations are being tuned to more than a fixed fundamental note.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:16 pm

jorri wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:29 pm
johnnysomersett wrote:
adamrobertt wrote:

Makes sense to me.

May end up as 'strech tuning' and that is where that comes from. No piano is perfectly in tune, whatever that means, although it kind of is really, in the aural way that higher harmonics and fluctuations are being tuned to more than a fixed fundamental note.
I was shocked the first time I saw someone tune a piano. He had a couple of tuning forks and then just everything was done by ear. I rememebr asking him and he tried at length to explain the science behind it until giving up and saying simply that "pianos just sound better this way".

I've been playing guitar for only about 25/26 years and didnt have a tuner until maybe 5 years in. I can put a fresh set of strings on and, without thinking, get it within a cent or two of in-tune-to-a-tuner straight away. There's only one thing that irks me though is that the B string, when tuned to a TU-2, Korg, Peterson - or any other tuner for that matter - always sounds a gnats-cock too sharp so I always adjust that a teeny bit flat. Sounds right to my ears
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:26 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:16 pm
jorri wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:29 pm
johnnysomersett wrote:

Makes sense to me.

I was shocked the first time I saw someone tune a piano. He had a couple of tuning forks and then just everything was done by ear. I rememebr asking him and he tried at length to explain the science behind it until giving up and saying simply that "pianos just sound better this way".

I've been playing guitar for only about 25/26 years and didnt have a tuner until maybe 5 years in. I can put a fresh set of strings on and, without thinking, get it within a cent or two of in-tune-to-a-tuner straight away. There's only one thing that irks me though is that the B string, when tuned to a TU-2, Korg, Peterson - or any other tuner for that matter - always sounds a gnats-cock too sharp so I always adjust that a teeny bit flat. Sounds right to my ears
Ive noticed lately, i was trying to avoid it by using a wprse tuner...but my phone app is ridiculously accurate so my detuned C drops a huge deal over the time of a pluck, the fretted 12 barely changes (though also i can change the pitch depending on how hard i fret a bit)...so there is a tolerance for sure! Thats before going into something like 'just intonation' or anything.

The best way to explain piano tuning is - strings arent perfect to the equation. They do things like dont vibrate their whole length, or are inconsistent materials.
1- that changes over time of a hammer strike, and lower strings go down in pitch more.
2- the overtone is stretched naturally. Tuning by ear tunes to the overtones as the first overtone is an octave up, and you play it with the note that is an octave up.
3. Piano tuners listen to oscillations called ' beating'. Is not just subjective 'sounds good' but the overtones stop beating on octaves. Plus since Equal Temperament is non-exact for other intervals and uses the perfect fifth to tune they can count 'beats per second' not stopping beats entirely.

Well, you cant listen to beats on a fretted vs open string, unless you sample it or something...but then maybe you could to the next string as it would be played with the next string in a chord anyway.