Fender Ultra Jazzmaster BUZZ/HUM! Need some help!

For help with setups and other technical issues.
HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Ultra Jazzmaster BUZZ/HUM! Need some help!

Post by HarlowTheFish » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:38 am

Some shocking revelations about building safety here, y'all.

If you're renters, ask your landlord what's zap with that.

. . . I'll see myself out.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:26 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:38 am
Some shocking revelations about building safety here, y'all.

If you're renters, ask your landlord what's zap with that.

. . . I'll see myself out.
:D :D :D
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_WcmftJlkYs
All the cheeses....

beninma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beninma » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:38 am

This is one of those threads where it would really help for any of us to actually be in the room and play the guitar.

A *certain* amount of noise when not touching the strings/bridge is indeed normal on a true single coil, but there's a big big difference between "normal" and how much noise you get when something's not working correctly in the wiring.

Having had wiring fail in a Tele I can tell the difference between normal and too much noise when touching/not touching the strings.

The Ultra though has humbucking pickups. Fender can call them noiseless but what they are is realistically humbuckers with the 2nd coil out of the field of the strings. That guitar should be dead quiet and we shouldn't really be having this conversation. The wiring should be flawless since it's one of their most expensive production guitars. It should have every trick in the book (shielded wire to the jack, etc..) to reduce noise. No point not doing every single one of those non-vintage improvements since the buyer has already bought into non-traditional pickups and a non-traditional fretboard.

Also the shielding paint shouldn't really be that critical in this guitar because again, it's got humbucking pickups. It should be pretty darn quiet.

The first place to start would be to print out the schematic from the Fender website and open the guitar up and verify everything is correct and start looking for poor solder joints.

mbe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mbe » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:58 am

I had a similar problem with an ESP LTD Viper fitted with ESP noiseless P90 pickups. The neck pickup buzzed like crazy unless my fingers touched the strings. The problem was caused by the shielding paint in the neck pickup cavity not making continuity with ground. The bridge pickup didn't exhibit the same problem because the shielding paint was making continuity with ground via connection to the bridge. I connected a wire from the neck pickup ground side to the cavity shielding paint and the result was quiet as a mouse (which is a minor miracle for a P90 equipped guitar).

filthypit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by filthypit » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:50 am

Late reply:
These are expensive guitars for Fender - you shouldn't have this problem with a new guitar. This is definitely a warranty situation - I'd return it or have them repair. Fender's can have questionable grounding by design - but for as much $$ as you paid, this should be fixed free of charge via warranty or returned.
hey maybe we can get together for coffee sometime?
...after they lift the restraining order, I mean

FlowParis
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by FlowParis » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:06 am

Hello, I have been reading this channel regularly because I had the same issue with a Jazzmaster Ultra 2022 brand new. I brought the guitar to a famous luthier in Paris who fixed the ground issue by adding a cable to the tremolo assy.
No problem since then, he did it for 50€, I am so happy because I couldn’t play with it otherwise.
I hope this helps!

andare
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andare » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:20 pm

Sounds like something is not shielded properly or the shielding is not grounded. A humbucking guitar should make no noise whatsoever both when touched and not.
The pickups may not hum but the rest of the electronics do and quite a bit if the cavities are not shielded. In most rooms, the difference should be night and day.

Emil_Kodar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Emil_Kodar » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:38 am

In mine (Ultra) the problem was an ungrounded pickup screw. Maybe for poor cavity finish. A copper foil strip to give continuity from screwhole to the nearest ground point resolved all.
bye