Huge Mastery Problem: Creaking

For help with setups and other technical issues.
RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Huge Mastery Problem: Creaking

Post by RoséBear » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:17 pm

Telliot wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:44 pm
Huh. That’s really weird. I’ve had a few Mastery equipped JMs and never had this happen. I can’t think what would be causing a pinging sound in the construction of the bridge itself. You said this happens when you transfer the bridge to different guitars? It almost sounds like it’s coming from the spring or collet, but I guess it can’t be if you’re able to reproduce the sound on other guitars. The only other thing I can think of is some slippage in the height screws of the saddles, or the saddles are hitting each other as you move the trem arm? Does the sound go away if you raise the Mastery, increasing the break angle? I’m truly baffled by this.
As am I!

So, the saddles I’ve dabbed a little bit of loctite 222 (per woodys suggestion) on the saddle rotator circles so they don’t move very much. They’re not making contact.

If I raise the action, it seems like it gets louder.

I had this problem initially ALL the time, as in whenever I used the bar, the strings would creak against the saddles.i removed the shim and it improved. But now, the problem is localized to only if I let the high e or b strings ring out for a few seconds, THEN use the bar. Literally only those two though! No other strings.

Like I said, if you strum a big open E chord, with slight force, let them ring out for 5 seconds, then depress the bar, it’ll creak like in the video. I’m stumped man

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:09 pm

RoséBear wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:38 am
....this has happened across multiple guitars (MIA parts jaguar, Amer. Pro jazzmaster) with entirely different “setups”.
So we're talking different guitars, different trems (?), same Mastery bridge, different thimbles, original then new saddles ... and same noise at the same point in time, after the trem release ?

Have you sent the video link to Mastery ? With the full story sequence (dot pointed for clarity, rather than chapter and verse).

The fact that it now also occurs with new saddles, on a guitar that does not seem to have an unusual setup, suggests that it's probably not the saddle grooves. And if it's happened with different guitars with different (?) trems that indicates that it can't be the trem.

It pretty much must be the bridge. A replacement would seem like the best option.

The sound itself is odd, as is its timing. I am assuming that it isn't heard through the amp ? And isn't associated with detuning ? So the very last option would be to live with it.

The scoring marks on the saddles were odd too - that did suggest a high friction set up, or defective coating. The abrasive cord on the original saddles obviously wasn't a good idea, but your other extra saddle friction-reducing efforts shouldn't have been necessary with a standard setup.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RoséBear » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:12 pm

timtam wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:09 pm
RoséBear wrote:
....this has happened across multiple guitars (MIA parts jaguar, Amer. Pro jazzmaster) with entirely different “setups”.
So we're talking different guitars, different trems (?), same Mastery bridge, different thimbles, original then new saddles ... and same noise at the same point in time, after the trem release ?

Have you sent the video link to Mastery ? With the full story sequence (dot pointed for clarity, rather than chapter and verse).

The fact that it now also occurs with new saddles, on a guitar that does not seem to have an unusual setup, suggests that it's probably not the saddle grooves. And if it's happened with different guitars with different (?) trems that indicates that it can't be the trem.

It pretty much must be the bridge. A replacement would seem like the best option.

The sound itself is odd, as is its timing. I am assuming that it isn't heard through the amp ? And isn't associated with detuning ? So the very last option would be to live with it.

The scoring marks on the saddles were odd too - that did suggest a high friction set up, or defective coating. The abrasive cord on the original saddles obviously wasn't a good idea, but your other extra saddle friction-reducing efforts shouldn't have been necessary with a standard setup.
Thanks for your input, very helpful!

I have actually done that. I spoke on the phone with woody after some emailing, which is about all I could do due to my work situation. He actually seemed rather impatient at the time, asking me what I’d “like to get out of this” after I explained the situation. He did end up helping me out and just sent me some new saddles which I very much appreciate. Didn’t seem to make a difference unfortunately.

So, not knowing what to do, I bought a brand new mastery from my local music store (which is excellent, by the way) and paid for a setup from the tech there, who is very experienced with mastery bridges.

I got it back, and it was perfect. For a while. Then that thing started again.

I’m curious, would it be possible that my posts are too tight? I tighten then snug. I don’t crank them tight. of course

jondom22
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jondom22 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:35 am

RoséBear wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:12 pm
timtam wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:09 pm
RoséBear wrote:

Thanks for your input, very helpful!

I have actually done that. I spoke on the phone with woody after some emailing, which is about all I could do due to my work situation. He actually seemed rather impatient at the time, asking me what I’d “like to get out of this” after I explained the situation. He did end up helping me out and just sent me some new saddles which I very much appreciate. Didn’t seem to make a difference unfortunately.

So, not knowing what to do, I bought a brand new mastery from my local music store (which is excellent, by the way) and paid for a setup from the tech there, who is very experienced with mastery bridges.

I got it back, and it was perfect. For a while. Then that thing started again.

I’m curious, would it be possible that my posts are too tight? I tighten then snug. I don’t crank them tight. of course
Bumping this old thread. You ever solve this? My mastery bridge saddles rock back and forth when using vibrato and make pinging sounds, and the strings ate away at the finish of the saddles, creating grooves in them. I actually paid $60 for a new set of saddles recently and it didn't help at all.

FWIW, I use 12-52 gauge strings, have a small shim in the neck pocket. I tend to like heavier strings on the JM so I can pick hard without fretting out.
Good Deals on OSG: alfal013, Redstar30
Good Deals on TGP: (search member jondom22 and look at sig)

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:06 pm

String gauge shouldn't have much to do with whether or not you're fretting out. That's just a sign of bad fretwork.

jondom22
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jondom22 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:38 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:06 pm
String gauge shouldn't have much to do with whether or not you're fretting out. That's just a sign of bad fretwork.
Wouldn't higher string gauge, and thus higher tension, reduce string ellipse (and thus how close it comes to the frets)?

FWIW, the neck I've had on it for about 10 years is a MIM strat neck that def needs fret dress/crowning or poss a refret....but i finally just bought a new neck which will be coming in a few days cos I didn't wanna keep blowing money on a neck with a 12" radius when I prefer 9.5"

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:28 pm

jondom22 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:38 pm
adamrobertt wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:06 pm
Wouldn't higher string gauge, and thus higher tension, reduce string ellipse (and thus how close it comes to the frets)?

FWIW, the neck I've had on it for about 10 years is a MIM strat neck that def needs fret dress/crowning or poss a refret....but i finally just bought a new neck which will be coming in a few days cos I didn't wanna keep blowing money on a neck with a 12" radius when I prefer 9.5"
Sure I guess, but that's sort of treating a symptom and not the disease. The correct thing to do IMO would be to put some fallaway into the last 5 or 6 frets.

jondom22
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jondom22 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:34 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:28 pm
jondom22 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:38 pm
Sure I guess, but that's sort of treating a symptom and not the disease. The correct thing to do IMO would be to put some fallaway into the last 5 or 6 frets.
[/quote]

Dude, thanks for this! That's a smart idea having the frets shaved a bit more towards the end of the neck as obv most of my playing is below the 12th or 15th fret.