Mounting Humbuckers to Jazzmasters

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Deemon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Mounting Humbuckers to Jazzmasters

Post by Deemon » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:15 pm

I know this is a super old thread (sorry for the rebump), but trying to figure out what colour that Grant Nicholas' (Feeder) JM is in the first photo of this thread is. Looks like it may be a Sherwood Green but non-metallic (did Fender make these?) but, after way too long trying to figure it out, if some could let me know that would be hugely appreciated?

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:38 pm

Deemon wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:15 pm
I know this is a super old thread (sorry for the rebump), but trying to figure out what colour that Grant Nicholas' (Feeder) JM is in the first photo of this thread is. Looks like it may be a Sherwood Green but non-metallic (did Fender make these?) but, after way too long trying to figure it out, if some could let me know that would be hugely appreciated?
I don't think Sherwood green is normally metallic?
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:22 pm

I think it is - this is an original 1966 finish

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:24 pm

HNB wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:38 pm
Deemon wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:15 pm
I don't think Sherwood green is normally metallic?
I'm pretty sure Sherwood is metallic and it was British Racing that wasn't... Until it became metallic last year. :derp:

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:16 pm

Weird. The Sherwood green guitars I had were nonmetallic. I must have been scammed lol. To be fair they were MJT guitars I got second hand described as Sherwood so maybe the seller didn’t know the right color.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:18 pm

HNB wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:16 pm
Weird. The Sherwood green guitars I had were nonmetallic. I must have been scammed lol. To be fair they were MJT guitars I got second hand described as Sherwood so maybe the seller didn’t know the right color.
The amount of things I've purchased where what the seller said it was and what I observed it actually was before making my purchase... :whistle:

Deemon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Deemon » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:36 am

GilmourD wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:18 pm
HNB wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:16 pm
The amount of things I've purchased where what the seller said it was and what I observed it actually was before making my purchase... :whistle:
Maybe earlier versions had the option, but Fender Custom Shop colour catalogue is only Sherwood Green Met. If older guitar possibly could just be aged/worn with a nitro finish. Sonic Blue all over again...

I could ask Grant what it was, but I may make him sad. He destroyed a green JM at Download 2005, and this may be the one. Saw a clip of him regretting it. No photos or vids I can find of that event to confirm if correct one though.

I'll take a a look out for an earlier British Racing Green but make sure I get it in the right lighting to confirm. If nitro, fantastic!

Thanks for the fast responses all. It's great to be a part of the community.

PlayWithPride
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by PlayWithPride » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:12 am

No one, least of all Fender, consistently makes guitars in a particular color that doesn't change over the decades. Remember: Fender does not make paint, they buy it. And some colors were discontinued for more than a decade by their original manufacturers and when they returned, it wasn't necessarily the same formula or same shade. In short Custom Shop and Re-issue MIA Fenders have just as much of a chance of being the "right" shade of Lake Placid Blue (or Sherwood Green) as any Asian-made Squier. Exactly as much of a chance. And that isn't even taking into account the yellowing of various clear coats over the decades. Read this for more information.

Deemon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Deemon » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:18 pm

Thanks, that's a great linked read. Here I was thinking it is odd though that the person at the hardware store can mix a near perfect colour but Fender's paint vendors of choice can't get it even close to right. Have heard the lacquer yellowing before, but so many other variables. Then trying to match a colour from a picture which depends on what device/lens/sensor is taking the photo, the lighting at the time and the screens colour-accuracy I'm looking at it on... I'll just try for close enough then ;D

Deemon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Deemon » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:52 pm

MattK wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:22 pm
I think it is - this is an original 1966 finish

Perfect! Def Looks like it. Here is a 66 JM which looks quite close so may be around that year (though block inlay fretboard). Looking at early 60's examples they all look much darker.

https://www.vintageandrare.com/product/ ... reen-16613

Thanks all. Now to locate one that somebody is willing to part with or get someone to repaint one...

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:15 pm

PlayWithPride wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:12 am
No one, least of all Fender, consistently makes guitars in a particular color that doesn't change over the decades. Remember: Fender does not make paint, they buy it. And some colors were discontinued for more than a decade by their original manufacturers and when they returned, it wasn't necessarily the same formula or same shade. In short Custom Shop and Re-issue MIA Fenders have just as much of a chance of being the "right" shade of Lake Placid Blue (or Sherwood Green) as any Asian-made Squier. Exactly as much of a chance. And that isn't even taking into account the yellowing of various clear coats over the decades. Read this for more information.
Yeah, but there's inconsistency between shades (which I get because sometimes the mix gets lost and they try to approximate it) while not knowing whether a color is metallic or not is a whole different thing. LOL

I've never seen anything about Sherwood Green being anything but a metallic color originally.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:49 pm

That said, I would be shocked if that Jazzmaster was original Sherwood. They claim the body is from 1962, I’m pretty certain Sherwood was not offered then and so if it’s an original finish it could be anything from the local auto shop that the customer asked for.

xoloder
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by xoloder » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:03 pm

madlovepickups wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:21 pm
Would people be interested if I was to offer standard open mount hb jazzmaster surrounds in white, cream, parchment, black? Basically so you can mount an unmodified hb? Would require some wood removal for the legs. Non 3d printed.
YES, PLEASE!!

madlovepickups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by madlovepickups » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:22 pm

xoloder wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:03 pm
madlovepickups wrote:
Would people be interested if I was to offer standard open mount hb jazzmaster surrounds in white, cream, parchment, black? Basically so you can mount an unmodified hb? Would require some wood removal for the legs. Non 3d printed.
YES, PLEASE!!
That seems emphatic. Ok I’ll sort it out

madlovepickups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by madlovepickups » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:21 pm

madlovepickups wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:22 pm
xoloder wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:03 pm
madlovepickups wrote:
YES, PLEASE!!
That seems emphatic. Ok I’ll sort it out
Did a test cut today, worked out ok, extremely tight on the long sides as there is only about 0.75mm available. I will do a bit more testing.