-=Jazzmaster and Jaguar Pickups and Electronics FAQ=-

For help with setups and other technical issues.
quarterpound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: -=Jazzmaster and Jaguar Pickups and Electronics FAQ=-

Post by quarterpound » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:06 pm

hey, i've been looking for this info for awhile - what are the exact dimensions of traditional JM pickups?

Domino81
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Domino81 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:19 pm

One pickup I did not see was this - http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/c ... ker_under/

Has anyone had any experience with that?

Surfoverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfoverb » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:12 am

How can I measure my Jag's PU resistance without taking off the pickguard/bridge/mute? In other words can I just measure the volume pot or selector switch which are easliy accessed?

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:41 pm

Surfoverb wrote: How can I measure my Jag's PU resistance without taking off the pickguard/bridge/mute? In other words can I just measure the volume pot or selector switch which are easliy accessed?
You could open the selector switches and then unsolder one side of the pickup, then measure across it. You have to remove one side or you'll be measuring the pots and tone knobs too.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

mrweems
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mrweems » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 pm

wow. this is a great thread. i'm glad I found this!

FormerAirliner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FormerAirliner » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:14 pm

I decided that the antiquity II's that came with my jazzmaster arent really for me, theyre pretty noisy except for one position and it doesnt agree with  my distortion. Ive decided to go the way of the curtis novak PAF humbuckers. has anyone had any experience with these? can a jazzmaster pickup cover really fit over the humbucker?

FormerAirliner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FormerAirliner » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:58 pm

hopefully somebody could help me with this as well. Ive decided to replace all the electronics of the guitar as well and would like to get the highest grade components i can get in terms of pots, roller knobs, input jacks, slider switches, 3 way pickup switch, and anything else i will need besides wiring which will be provided by my tech. ive always relied on my stock electronics in my guitars so this is really new to me. thanks.

thunderbroom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by thunderbroom » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:03 am

Jonas:

An exhaustive resource...thank you.  On related questions, as I am in the market right now to replace my pups in my CIJ Jazzmaster, I've been looking around a bit.  As there aren't many sound clips available, nor can one tell a lot from a clip as it depends on so many variables, I was wondering - out of the 'high output' pups you listed is there one that you would rate as highest output?

I've looked rather seriously at the Novak p90s for JMs as I wanted something with a really high output.  I play mostly rock and indie type stuff so I end up working with tons of pedals and stuff.  I am not all that interested in maintaining a "classic" sound.  Nevertheless, I am a single coil guy so I want to stay away from humbucker replacements.  Having access to a somewhat classic JM tone once in a while would be fine (I'm a Costello freak anyway).

One other question I've had is that in various pup descriptions, the changing variable seems to be one of three things:
1)  How many rotations the coils are wound
2)  The diameter of the wire
3)  The size/type of magnet

I am a complete novice in terms of pup replacement (I've only replaced a couple in my old Tele).  So any advice you can offer would be most appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help.
So any information you might be able to supply about the outputs of the pups would be helpful.

Sincerely,

Howard
"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."
-Semisonic

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:43 pm

thunderbroom wrote: Jonas:

An exhaustive resource...thank you.  On related questions, as I am in the market right now to replace my pups in my CIJ Jazzmaster, I've been looking around a bit.  As there aren't many sound clips available, nor can one tell a lot from a clip as it depends on so many variables, I was wondering - out of the 'high output' pups you listed is there one that you would rate as highest output?

I've looked rather seriously at the Novak p90s for JMs as I wanted something with a really high output.  I play mostly rock and indie type stuff so I end up working with tons of pedals and stuff.  I am not all that interested in maintaining a "classic" sound.  Nevertheless, I am a single coil guy so I want to stay away from humbucker replacements.  Having access to a somewhat classic JM tone once in a while would be fine (I'm a Costello freak anyway).

One other question I've had is that in various pup descriptions, the changing variable seems to be one of three things:
1)  How many rotations the coils are wound
2)  The diameter of the wire
3)  The size/type of magnet

I am a complete novice in terms of pup replacement (I've only replaced a couple in my old Tele).  So any advice you can offer would be most appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help.
So any information you might be able to supply about the outputs of the pups would be helpful.

Sincerely,

Howard
Here are a couple clips of a JM90 in the bridge of my Jazzmaster.

CLEAN
DIRTY
DIRTY

Thread on the guitar with more clips HERE
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:18 pm

I posted a bunch of soundclips as well... you should be able to find them if you use the search function (try Novak, soundclips)
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

JDandCoke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JDandCoke » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 pm

can anyone tell me how i can raise the height of my bridge JM pup?

:-[
i cant figure it out

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:16 pm

JDandCoke wrote: can anyone tell me how i can raise the height of my bridge JM pup?

i cant figure it out
Perhaps you need to replace the foam underneath it. When you unscrew the four retaining screws it should stay pressed up against them.

JDandCoke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JDandCoke » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:14 pm

theworkoffire wrote:
JDandCoke wrote: can anyone tell me how i can raise the height of my bridge JM pup?

i cant figure it out
Perhaps you need to replace the foam underneath it. When you unscrew the four retaining screws it should stay pressed up against them.
that would be the problem then.

the screws just come out and dont adjust the pickup.

thanks

samytv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by samytv » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:45 pm

Thanks for these informations

upsilonking
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by upsilonking » Fri May 02, 2008 10:43 pm

2 things...
does anyone know if harmonic design Z90's will fit w/out mods to the body? Also has anyone tried the Lindy Fralin jazzmaster pu's w/ the big pole pieces coming out of the pickup?