Fender CIJ Jaguar tremolo

For help with setups and other technical issues.
batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fender CIJ Jaguar tremolo

Post by batchainpuller » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:27 pm

I have owned a CIJ Jaguar and the tremolo bar was incredibly loose; is this inherent to these Japanese versions? Do the original/ AVRI tremolo bars generally stay in place? Obviously one can easily remedy the Japan Jag problem with some tape...Just curious. Another question I've had about the Jag tremolo system was the locking tremolo design; when I had it set-up the tech had no idea how that system worked...neither do I. The asshole also hated Jags for some reason.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender CIJ Jaguar tremolo

Post by FireAarro » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:34 am

My friend and I thought his vibrato arm on his CIJ jazz was very loose too until we pushed it in a bit more, and it stayed in place fine but was a little low for my own tastes.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:49 am

batchainpuller wrote: Another question I've had about the Jag tremolo system was the locking tremolo design; when I had it set-up the tech had no idea how that system worked...neither do I. The asshole also hated Jags for some reason.
Thisshould help.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

theswingincreeper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theswingincreeper » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:02 pm

I think this has been covered before... I had the same problem on my CIJ Jazzmaster and took the thing apart and when you turn the tremolo unit upside down you see the "collet" that holds the tremolo arm, with the four slots in it, so with a pair of pliers I squeezed it a bit tighter, but you must be careful not to overdo it or even break it. This was about three weeks ago and the arm still sits in nice and tight. I use the wang bar heavily and all the time so I need to have it handy and can't stand it if the arm is dangling down.
But I may be on to something here. I just found a new replacement tremolo which looks very promising and it will go in as soon as the next change of strings is due.  I'll post about it.
As far as the tech who doesn't like Jags... I recommend you find someone else.

Regards, Joe

DaveyH
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DaveyH » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:54 pm

In don't think the collet system works particularly well,after you nip it up it doesn't take long for it to loosen again and taking the trem off to sort it out is hardly convenient.it's also pretty easy to snap off one of the legs of the collet.I'm thinking of trying something around the collet to keep it tight.A tight elastic band or a zip tie might even work,but i'll probably machine a little sleeve or clamp to go around the collet to stop it loosening up.

EDIT;thinking about it ,the collet needs to be able to spring to let the bar in and out,so the elastic band might be the best idea,failing that it would have to be a sprung collar,basically a small collar with 3 or 4 small coil springs in it that are held in by grubs,hard to explain but it's a simple thing and it's not a permanent mod,it's just the same as putting an elastic band around the collar.I think i'll do some tinkering tommorow.
Last edited by DaveyH on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickH
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickH » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:16 pm

Great explanation of the tremlock here http://www.webrocker.de/jaguar/v2/index ... ow=tremloc which I believe is owned by member here. I would strongly recommend becoming good at your own setup as techs who are good or even capable at JM and Jag set up are few and far between.

batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by batchainpuller » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:54 pm

Thanks for all your help folks - I appreciate it. I'm going to look into some of your suggestions above and get to know my Jag more intimately!

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:12 pm

batchainpuller wrote: get to know my Jag more intimately!
Careful now! ;)

"Is it not alright for a man to love his guitar?"
"well, it's not alright when he sticks his balls in it and tries to strum himself to ecstasy!"

:D

(from the Mighty Boosh, BTW)
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:58 pm

chrisjedijane wrote:
Careful now! ;)

"well, it's not alright when he sticks his balls in it and tries to strum himself to ecstasy!"

Yo. Much respek to da Boosh.

Me go spin plats wif Bollo now.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by batchainpuller » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm

chrisjedijane wrote:
Careful now! ;)

Ha! I completely forgot about The Mighty Boosh and The Zooniverse!

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:51 am

Maggieo wrote:

so you guys have the Boosh in the US? That's pretty cool, I didn't know if they would have shown it over there, it's quite a niche show :)
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:03 am

chrisjedijane wrote:
Maggieo wrote:

so you guys have the Boosh in the US? That's pretty cool, I didn't know if they would have shown it over there, it's quite a niche show :)
They show it on BBC America at an ungodly hour of the morning, but I got turned onto it by my bandmate in Huddersfield and nabbed the eps with BitTorrent.  Flippin' 'ell!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:16 pm

the trem is the first piece I change the mij/cij hardware on every one I owned seemed poor quality to me. I use the stock top plate and replace the insides
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.