Is my Squier Bullet Mustang compatible with vintage machine heads?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
RominRonin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Is my Squier Bullet Mustang compatible with vintage machine heads?

Post by RominRonin » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:41 am

Pretty much as the title says. I really like the vintage machine heads on my jag Stang and would like to swap the stock items out on the bullet mustang for those. I just want to know if they’re compatible without modification before buying.

If not, what modifications am I looking at having to make for compatibility?

Thanks

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is my Squier Bullet Mustang compatible with vintage machine heads?

Post by Steadyriot. » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:56 am

Depends on what you call compatible. You’ll need conversion bushings and you’ll need to drill holes for the screws in the back of the headstock.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

RominRonin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RominRonin » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:53 pm

It would be compatible if I didn’t have to make irreversible changes, like drilling new holes.

I like the vintage style top-threaded string posts more than the modern hole-in-the-post style.

Do you reckon drilling holes is a must then?

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:34 pm

I think you'll have to ultimately drill some holes one way or another, but if you install Fender ClassicGear tuners, those holes should be obscured. Essentially, they install in the same way that all Fender modern tuners do by using two little pin holes under the back of the tuner. The tightening is done via a nut on the front side of the headstock.

The downside is that you need to drill those pinholes, which is its own pain, but they make a jig for it. Link with instructions and jig. . The other downside is that you'll still have the holes from the original tuners showing.

Personally, if you plan on keeping the guitar and prefer vintage tuners, I would just accept that you'll need to drill new holes and go that route. But you'll need conversion bushings for 10mm holes so that the vintage ones fit. Good luck!

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:54 pm

alexpigment wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:34 pm
I think you'll have to ultimately drill some holes one way or another, but if you install Fender ClassicGear tuners, those holes should be obscured. Essentially, they install in the same way that all Fender modern tuners do by using two little pin holes under the back of the tuner. The tightening is done via a nut on the front side of the headstock.

The downside is that you need to drill those pinholes, which is its own pain, but they make a jig for it. Link with instructions and jig. . The other downside is that you'll still have the holes from the original tuners showing.

Personally, if you plan on keeping the guitar and prefer vintage tuners, I would just accept that you'll need to drill new holes and go that route. But you'll need conversion bushings for 10mm holes so that the vintage ones fit. Good luck!
The link in that article to the jig is dead but here's the correct link.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... drill-jig/

But, also, OMG! $72???

But it also looks identical to this.

https://brownsguitarfactory.com/store/t ... ill-jig-2/

But then you have this.

Tuner Jig Drill Guide 3.0 Stencil for Fender Tuners (3D Printed) https://reverb.com/item/41181924?utm_so ... t=41181924

Or you could 3D print your own.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:844734

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2331177

Or, if you're gonna spend a bit of change, this one looks quite versatile.

G-Tech Guitar Works Tuner Drilling Jig - Single/Two Pin - Fender Schaller Squier - Locking https://reverb.com/item/38069284?utm_so ... t=38069284

I haven't used or vetted any of these, so I'm not making any actual recommendations, but somebody else here may have.

I have access to a 3D printer, so maybe I'll try one of those myself. 🤔

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:22 pm

Honestly, I was really sort of saying-without-saying that the jig option was not worth the time/money/frustration. But I did check out the 3D printed option above, and the multi-hole design takes away a lot of the annoyances with the job (alignment becomes a non-issue). The price is very reasonable too.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:24 pm

alexpigment wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:22 pm
Honestly, I was really sort of saying-without-saying that the jig option was not worth the time/money/frustration. But I did check out the 3D printed option above, and the multi-hole design takes away a lot of the annoyances with the job (alignment becomes a non-issue). The price is very reasonable too.
Agreed, especially considering that I prefer regular Kluson-style tuners and they're not that hard to install without a jig. That said, every once in a while you come across a headstock where the tuner holes are spread out just a tiny bit further and Klusons don't fit.

RominRonin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RominRonin » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:31 pm

Just thought I’d put closure on this thread.

I bought some Gotoh vintage machine heads, I drilled the holes (with a dremel and careful measurement), and I haven’t ordered the conversion bushings yet, they’re so expensive on stewmac (especially considering the cost of eu shipping and duties). So for now I have painters’ tape wrapped around the out-of-the-box bushings.

So far im happy with how this turned out. The bushings are the biggest bummer - I wish I could get them for less in the eu.

Since the original post, I bought a sonic mustang with maple fretboard. No difference though as far as headstock is concerned.

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:26 pm

RominRonin wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:31 pm
I haven’t ordered the conversion bushings yet, they’re so expensive on stewmac (especially considering the cost of eu shipping and duties).
If you're ok with ordering from China (and waiting for about a month for delivery):

https://www.eyguitarmusic.com/102mmNick ... _1586.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33028427492.html
Create art, not content

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:42 pm

RominRonin wrote:

I bought some Gotoh vintage machine heads, I drilled the holes (with a dremel and careful measurement), and I haven’t ordered the conversion bushings yet, they’re so expensive on stewmac (especially considering the cost of eu shipping and duties). So for now I have painters’ tape wrapped around the out-of-the-box bushings.

So far im happy with how this turned out. The bushings are the biggest bummer - I wish I could get them for less in the eu.

Since the original post, I bought a sonic mustang with maple fretboard. No difference though as far as headstock is concerned.
Where in the EU are you? Can you find AllParts TK-0900-001?

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:31 am

RominRonin wrote:

Thomann has them for 10,-
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

RominRonin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RominRonin » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:23 am

Just yesss!

Thank you fellow offset fans.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:58 am

RominRonin wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:23 am

Just yesss!

Thank you fellow offset fans.