xii pickups orientation?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Paleboy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

xii pickups orientation?

Post by Paleboy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:36 pm

Hey guys,
I've been working on this project off and on (mostly off) for ages and, each time I get back to it, I find I'm having a hard time figuring out quite where I left off. I promise I'll take better notes from this point. Honest.
So, basically, I'm trying to make my Venus xii cooler by adding a 4 way rotary like the original xii. Finding the right pot and schematic to give me the "vintage correct" sound options has been a headache (mostly just dead links and broken pics), but that's not why I'm writing today.
In my haste to make some progress on this, I pulled the pickups out and now can't remember exactly they went in. Fortunately, I had at least some forethought to label "neck" and "bridge" but I failed to indicate N and S and, being split pickup design, don't even know which within each pair goes where- which side is meant to handle the high strings and which the low. Being a newb, am I correct (or dead wrong) in assuming that, as long as both sets are oriented identically that I probably won't run into phase cancellation issues? Can anybody provide any insight on how to figure out the proper orientation of these pickups?
FWIW, I will, at some point, likely swap them out with Novaks but, before that, I'll need to verify I got this rotary wired up correctly. Thanks in advance.
Kurt
pic for clarification

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: xii pickups orientation?

Post by Embenny » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:06 pm

Electrically speaking, you're correct that it won't matter which coil is under the bass vs treble strings.

The only potential difference would be if the polepieces were staggered underneath those covers, but I don't know if that was even a thing on those guitars.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:35 pm

Yep, it doesn’t matter which way.

And as for your comment about the rotary switch - if you followed the diagram in the picture, it will work fine. I made that particular diagram (a hybrid of other diagrams i found online) for my XII build , originally posted at https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/v ... 2&start=45

Paleboy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Paleboy » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:10 pm

Yep, it doesn’t matter which way.

And as for your comment about the rotary switch - if you followed the diagram in the picture, it will work fine. I made that particular diagram (a hybrid of other diagrams i found online) for my XII build , originally posted at v ... 2&start=45
Thank you and sorry for the slow response.

Your diagram shows both pickups as in series and in parallel. I believe the original was parallel and parallel out of phase. What's your opinion on this, and is there a reason you opted for doing it the way you did? Thanks in advance.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:05 am

I don’t have first-hand experience, but i believe you are correct about the vintage ones featuring an out-of-phase position.

I opted for the series/parallel wiring as i’m not really a fan of the out-of-phase sound. That said, i don’t use the series option much either! I spend the vast majority of time on the bridge pickup alone.

But yes, my first response was probably misleading with respect to vintage accuracy!

Cheers.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:17 am

on mine ,i have first try the serie wiring instead of out of phase but find it too differents than others position s and rewired out of phase ,normaly you find the wiring diagram in my thread of XII

electicity speaking my novak pups are the same as XII ,don't have humcancelling and it don't change nothing if bass side are under treble string it is the same magnet and are oriented the same ,will change if the magnet are inverted for humcancelling when you use the 2pups at same time (risk of out of phase )but it is a thing easy to contreact with sawping lead of one pups

find this
https://www.pickguardian.com/portfolioe ... replica-2/