Kurt Cobain Jaguar

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Kurt Cobain Jaguar

Post by Alanbama » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:57 am

I have ordered a new Cobain Jaguar. I know that this guitar comes with a Fender Adjustomatic bridge and I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with this setup. It just doesn’t seem to be that good of an idea with the tremolo. I’ve looked at several options from replacing the saddles in it with Graphtech ones all the way to just replacing the whole bridge. I’ve even seen a way to use a Jaguar bridge with the adjustomatic posts. This last idea really appealed to me. What do you all think?
Last edited by Alanbama on Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I dearly love my Kurt Cobain (Now An Alan Cargile) Jaguar! 😎And now I have a Team of Mustang’s! And wouldn’t you know it… I love them too!

JSutter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Kurt Cobain Jaguar Bridge.

Post by JSutter » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:08 am

Before anything you'll need to try it and see how you and your playing get along with the guitar. If there is a problem then you can start figuring out a solution.

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alanbama » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:19 pm

You are absolutely right of course. But the bridge was the first thing that I had to replace on my Player Jaguar’s. And I really like the feel of these Mustang style bridges. I also like the tuneomatics on my SG’s but I just don’t think that they would work that well with a tremolo. I don’t know. I guess I’m trying to fix problems that may not even exist. Thank you for your comment. I do appreciate it.
I dearly love my Kurt Cobain (Now An Alan Cargile) Jaguar! 😎And now I have a Team of Mustang’s! And wouldn’t you know it… I love them too!

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:00 am

I tried a Graphtech bridge with the black tusc saddles on my Bigsby equipped Firebird. It did nothing for tuning stability, and sounded really dull as well. Sucked all the treble out of the guitar.

I eventually picked up a Tonepros roller bridge, that worked perfectly. One thing to note with roller bridges, is that they sit a bit high, because the roller adds height to the saddle, so you want to make sure your guitar can handle the extra string height.

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alanbama » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:30 am

Thank you! I was wondering about the roller bridge. I appreciate the information about the height. I hadn’t even thought about that. I was also wondering if the bridge radius would make any difference. I’ve read that most tom bridges are a 12 inch radius including Fender whereas the guitar has a 9.5 inch radius neck. Most post’s say that that’s not enough to be a problem. And personally I don’t think it will be either. Anybody have any thoughts on that? The guitar is coming tomorrow then I’ll have some solid information. Thank you all for helping me!

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alanbama » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:59 pm

My Jaguar arrived today! Wow, this thing is a real beauty. I looked at it for a while then went right to work on setting it up just like I like it. This is a very well crafted instrument! Everything about it just exudes quality! First thing I replaced the Gotoh machines with a new set of Gotoh 510 internal locking machines. They were a direct drop in replacement and I put locking machines on every guitar that I get. I oiled my fretboard which is real rosewood and it was extremely dry! It drank a good bit of oil! Then on to the bridge. I didn’t like the adjustomatic ones at all! Too much metal for the strings to catch on when using the vibrato. I prepared a new American Pro 9.5 radius Jaguar bridge that I bought just for this one. It’s easy. All that you do is take a pair of good pliers and break the bridge post off the bottom of the bridge, this is a relatively easy thing to do. Next drill the 2 hole’s that are left with a .25 inch drill bit and then it was a perfect fit on the adjustomatic bridge post. Setting your action is so easy with a screw driver. And you don’t have to adjust the saddles because they are preset to 9.5 inch radius! Intonation was already close and it was easy to get it very accurate! Of course that’s the last thing that I did. I put a set of Stringjoy 9’s on it. I really love their strings. The truss rod adjustment was great with just a touch of neck relief which is a good thing because the adjustment is at the heel! I’ve never delt with one of these. Lastly I setup the pickups. I adjusted the height at the 2 E strings then used the adjustable pole pieces to get them all set. I’ve been playing it every since. OMG, it play’s extremely good! It almost plays itself! And the sound is exceptional with many variations of tone with the lead and rhythm circuits! I am already in love with the neck on this instrument and all of it actually. I’m extremely pleased that I decided to get it. Okay, I have forgotten how to post pics! :P coud someone spare the time to tell me? This is embarrassing!

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alanbama » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:01 pm

Jaguar.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:12 pm

This sounds wonderful! Like you two have found each other!
Alanbama wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:59 pm
Okay, I have forgotten how to post pics! :P coud someone spare the time to tell me? This is embarrassing!
For posting (your own) pictures you need to host them on one of those photo hosting sites (imgbb, imgur, etc.) and then you have various options, mostly I choose the "BBCode Full" (on imgbb in my case) - you copy that and post it here.

The other option: you find a pic on the internet, click to "open image in new tab" and copy that url and paste it in here, the page should ask you whether you want to post an image or a code - you decide for the image and here you go.
I'm looking forward to see some pics of your Jaguar!

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Kurt Cobain Jaguar

Post by Alanbama » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:41 pm

Thank you very much! I’ll get right to work on it! This is the best that I can do right now. I will try to get some of the entire guitar when I take them Thanks everyone! [url][url="https://www.snapfish.com/share?via=link ... 0/SNAPFISH"]

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alanbama » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:24 am

After further inspection and a lot of playing I am absolutely in awe of this instrument! So much attention to detail on this one that it amazes me! I’m just not used to seeing this type of quality on production guitars. For example the nut is cut absolutely perfect! I’m certainly not used to seeing that. If there’s any nit to pick it’s that the frets need a good polishing. I forgot about that while I had the strings off so it will have to wait. The heft and feel in my hands is awesome! It just feels very high quality. I really do love playing it! I will probably stick to the lead setting as the other one is quite dark. I may find a use for it. Who knows? I don’t mean to ramble. I’m just so taken back by this instrument! 😲😀

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alanbama » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:43 am

C

efiug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by efiug » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:22 am

Never thought about how dark the rhythm circuit would sound on one of these before, makes sense though since I've always thought neck humbuckers were already pretty dark. Probably more useful to leave the volume and tone up there rolled all the way off and use it as a killswitch instead.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:38 am

efiug wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:22 am
Never thought about how dark the rhythm circuit would sound on one of these before, makes sense though since I've always thought neck humbuckers were already pretty dark. Probably more useful to leave the volume and tone up there rolled all the way off and use it as a killswitch instead.
I've modded a couple of rhythm circuits to have the same value pots and cap as the lead circuit and then it can be used as a preset neck pickup sound without being too dark sounding.

Alanbama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alanbama » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:04 am

Yeah it’s pretty dark! I’ve experimented with a few settings on it and on my equipment but I’ve yet to find anything usable for me. That’s an interesting idea to mod that circuit. I like the sound of that. I’m going to look into that. I’m still so amazed at this guitar! Back in 2015 I bought a Custom Shop Stratocaster with a hum-bucker in the bridge position. I’ll have to admit it was an incredible instrument! The workmanship was simply outstanding. But when I discovered the short scale Jaguar I fell in love! I I sold the Strat and bought a Player Jaguar. I loved it immediately. You all are going to think that I’m crazy but I would put this Cobain Jaguar up against that Strat anytime. It has impressed me just that much! Maybe I just got lucky and got one that was built almost perfect or something. I can’t explain it. But I really do love it. Thanks for your input guy’s!

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:40 am

https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-ct ... 054457049/

You would swap the rhythm circuit tone pot with this one. Only difference is the rhythm circuit pots are linear whereas lead circuit are audio so the taper behaves differently.