Jag pickup reverse phase question

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Nico
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jag pickup reverse phase question

Post by Nico » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:48 pm

Hi,
I wanted to swap the Jag rhythm circuit plate for a simple on/off switch plate.
The only reason i'd do this is to reverse phase a pickup.

I searched online and Fralin have an article about this. The article says that if the magnets are not taped before winding, then phase reversal is not possible... why? I don't know why it would matter.

So my question is; can you reverse phase a pair of AVRI 62 Fender pups or no?

I know that it's just a matter of reversing the wires but it's the first time I hear about that tape thing.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jag pickup reverse phase question

Post by timtam » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:36 pm

Fralin probably say that if the pole pieces/bar magnets on some of their pickups are grounded by contact with the grounded side of the coil wire. In which case flipping phase would connect the pole pieces to the 'hot'. That can be problematic if you touch the pole pieces when playing (noise), or if the grounded strings ever touch them - in which case sound will cut out because you have shorted the hot to ground.

The equivalent issue with jag pickups is the grounded claw, which normally shares the ground wire with the ground side of the coil. So if you want to add a phase switch you have to first cut the little jumper that connects the claw to the coil ground. And then add a new dedicated ground wire just for the claw (see below). So the pickup then has 3 wires instead of 2. Then you can flip the pickup coil hot and coil ground with the phase switch, while the claw always remains grounded. IIRC the Am Pro (I) jag is the only model with a phase switch, and its pickups thus have 3 wires. The same mod is required when putting the the pickups in series (which requires that the 'ground' side of one pickup's coil be connected to the hot side of the other pickup).
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... 7-2016.pdf

Before:

After:
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Nico
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nico » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:40 pm

Thanks, that regrounding method makes a lot of sense.
I will rewire the jag when time comes.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:53 pm

timtam wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:36 pm
Timtam you rule! Just wanted to say that. I assiduously read all of your posts, and always learn a lot! Thank you!

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:57 am

That shield re-grounding method is the same game that must be played if you are converting your Telecaster to a 4-way to get series humbucking tone from it. That is my 'auto mod' on my Telecasters -- gives me access to a Les Paul Junior.