Possibility of fixing a Ping Vintage Style (Kluson)?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Possibility of fixing a Ping Vintage Style (Kluson)?

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:00 am

The low E on my J Mascis Jazzmaster has been sensitive from the moment I opened it but didn’t often cause me any problems until relatively recently. At this point, I can tighten it, let go, and watch the peg spin around a full 360 degrees, and that’s without even touching it, as if that happens and I slightly bump it, it does 2 turns.
The buttons don’t have the screws on top like a lot of modern things so I’m kinda in the dark about how to fix this and every fucking thread on any other forum I’ve found is just people saying it’s anything but the tuners, so I’ve found zero help elsewhere and hope it’ll be different here.

Is there anything I can do short of replacing it? The others work fine, it’s just the low E that is pissing in my face.

Thanks in advance cool dudes

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Possibility of fixing a Ping Vintage Style (Kluson)?

Post by Ceylon » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:49 am

I'm thinking if you remove the cover and check out the gear you should be able to see if the teeth are either worn down, broken or seriously over-lubricated. But most likely you're gonna have to replace it.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:11 am

You can probably tighten it up if you take it apart.
If you take it off the guitar, there'll be two prongs on the headstock side of the tuner. You can carefully pry these up and take the cover off.

Beneath you'll find a worm gear attached to the tuning button and a gear attached to the tuning peg. One of these parts is loose.

The main question on tightening will be if the gear is attached to the peg by a press fit like the photo, or by screw.
I believe Ping are the screw type but I'm not a 100% sure on that one. You can tighten this screw. Don't make it too tight or it won't turn anymore!

You can also tighten the contact points with the shaft with a small punch and hammer, or pliers

After that it's all a question of balancing pressure on these points. Even then it's not guaranteed it'll be stable and you may have to resort to buying a new tuner but there's no risk in trying! Don't forget to lube it up a bit while you're in there (a little bit of grease goes a long way!).
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:51 pm

Holy shit that is beyond informative and I can’t believe isn’t already in a blog post somewhere! Thanks a million!

I have this set of the Fender staggered, I guess Deluxe Tuners? They’ve been in a bag since I bought the neck that was holding them and I’d kind of like to just put those on but it’s pretty far from being a straight swap.

Also I just assumed Ping - they’re the stock things on what I think is a 2014 J Mascis Jazzmaster, so they could totally be something else.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:06 am

If you need a direct replacement, it's the Rotomatic 1248n model:

https://www.mikesmusic.net/p-16500-squi ... kel-6.aspx

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:39 am

lol OSG rocks