NGD: Another squier VM Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Arc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Another squier VM Jaguar

Post by Arc » Fri May 09, 2014 11:28 am

I decided I want a Jag for my gigs with a psychedelic/tribal project, tons of reverb and delay, cristal clean suond, vibrato and all. I went toward a squier because here you always say great thing about it, and also because I've had to spend my guitar-money for a new(second hand) car, so a squier is everything I can afford. I don't tell you how difficult it was to find it here in Italy, there was just one shop that had the 3ts at a quite steep price, but that is. I went there, tried it, and decided it was a lemon: fret buzz all over the fretboard, plus the G and high e almost completly mute after the 7th fret. And I don't like 3ts ;-) so after some research I found this very small shop that have a lot of offsets, and she is there, my olympic white Jag. The setup was perfect and the guy was really nice, he swaped the 9-42 for a set of chrome 12-52 for free!
I have since 4 days and I'm really astonished by the quality of this instrument, I even like the pickups!
The only con for me is the vibrato system, not very smooth indeed..

I hope I can take some pictures and samples soon!

Have a good weekend!

-Anti-
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Another squier VM Jaguar

Post by -Anti- » Fri May 09, 2014 12:19 pm

They can really be great guitars. I have two, and they're both excellent - even the one that's still stock.

I'd recommend shimming the neck a little, and make sure the tremolo is set up correctly. I thought one of mine was a little rough with the trem, but after a setup and neck shim it was far, far better. Hopefully that helps you as well!
www.noisemakereffects.com - Handmade, boutique grade pedals and amps starting at $46.

Etsy - http://noisemakereffects.etsy.com
Reverb - http://reverb.com/shop/noisemaker-effects
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/noisemakereffects

JBhome
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JBhome » Fri May 09, 2014 2:27 pm

Welcome to the club. These Squier jags are pretty amazing - definitely prefer mine to the Japanese jags I've played. Danger is, now I want a(nother) jazzmaster and mustang!

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Sat May 10, 2014 9:19 am

congrats on your new jag Arc.

I would play with the trem spring tension if it doesn't feel right to you.

I have a surf green one myself, and all the finished are so nice that everytime i see one in a different colour i think that i should have chosen that one.
Let's get those pics up.

Arc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arc » Sat May 10, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks for the reply guys! Today I've tried it with my mesa mark iic+ and it was awesome!
I agree I will have to shim the neck with the 12-52, clues in the material I should use?

surfdivision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by surfdivision » Sun May 11, 2014 4:02 am

Arc wrote:Thanks for the reply guys! Today I've tried it with my mesa mark iic+ and it was awesome!
I agree I will have to shim the neck with the 12-52, clues in the material I should use?
In my opinion, with something like 12s you don't really need a shim, you just have to do everything else to set it up right. I had a sandpaper shim and ditched it when I got D'Addario flatwound 12s, there's a very nice amount of tension with them. Also watch for the nut, the strings might be sitting too high so it can mess with your intonation.
Self improvement is masturbation. Now, self destruction...

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Sun May 11, 2014 5:44 am

I ♥ my VM Jag, congrats on your very excellent purchase! 8)
If OSG has tort me anything...

Arc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arc » Sun May 11, 2014 9:27 am

surfdivision wrote:
Arc wrote:Thanks for the reply guys! Today I've tried it with my mesa mark iic+ and it was awesome!
In my opinion, with something like 12s you don't really need a shim, you just have to do everything else to set it up right. I had a sandpaper shim and ditched it when I got D'Addario flatwound 12s, there's a very nice amount of tension with them. Also watch for the nut, the strings might be sitting too high so it can mess with your intonation.

Yeah strings are definitely sitting too high on the nut, what did you use to file it down? It seems made of paper :-)

surfdivision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by surfdivision » Sun May 11, 2014 10:31 am

Arc wrote:
surfdivision wrote:

Yeah strings are definitely sitting too high on the nut, what did you use to file it down? It seems made of paper :-)
I used a torch-tip cleaner. I wouldn't really reccomend it, you can also extract the nut and use a sandpaper on the bottom of it and glue it back. Check this guide ou: http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musicia ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It helped me a lot. Now the strings are sitting perfectly and intonation is almost spot-on. Also make sure that your neck pup isn't too high, since it can also affect your intonation. Honestly it took more than a year to finally set up this guitar properly (everything is stock) but every little thing was worth it.
Self improvement is masturbation. Now, self destruction...

Arc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arc » Tue May 13, 2014 12:46 am

I used a torch-tip cleaner. I wouldn't really reccomend it, you can also extract the nut and use a sandpaper on the bottom of it and glue it back. Check this guide ou: http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musicia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ction.html

It helped me a lot. Now the strings are sitting perfectly and intonation is almost spot-on. Also make sure that your neck pup isn't too high, since it can also affect your intonation. Honestly it took more than a year to finally set up this guitar properly (everything is stock) but every little thing was worth it.
Thank you for the Help!!

benji
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benji » Tue May 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Congrats! I am another Squier fan. I had a surf green that was fantastic. Definitely better than its Japanese counterpart. Only sold it because I got sick of the short scale.

You can go 12-52, but 11-50 work just fine on the Squier... As on most other Jags. Also, I didn't find the shim necessary after a string change and a good set up.

Arc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arc » Wed May 14, 2014 9:30 am

benji wrote:Congrats! I am another Squier fan. I had a surf green that was fantastic. Definitely better than its Japanese counterpart. Only sold it because I got sick of the short scale.

You can go 12-52, but 11-50 work just fine on the Squier... As on most other Jags. Also, I didn't find the shim necessary after a string change and a good set up.
I went 12-52 because I like heavy gauge anyway, on my telecaster I have 12s too, and on the Les paul i used to have 13s :-) so 12s on a Jag feel quite slinky for me, next time i'll put the thomastik 13s that have a lighter low E.

I will try to file down a bit the nut before shimming, because as for now, with the strings sitting in the top of it, the overall action is pretty high!

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Wed May 14, 2014 10:12 am

the nut on mine was lousy I had to do a ton of refiling. Also my bridge was a lemon so i got a mustang one (which is awesome by the way). and yes i felt the need to do a shim as well.

Still all those fixes were minor. My guitar itself, the tones, the fell, well it's glorious.

PF_Flyer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PF_Flyer » Thu May 15, 2014 11:49 am

Congrats! Love my Surf Green VM Jag ~

Arc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arc » Sun May 02, 2021 6:58 am

Hi everybody, I’m the OP, hope to be forgiven for this massive necrobump! Long time no see, I almost forgot I’m an offset guy, spent the last couple of years playing Gibson style guitars, but last month I picked my squier jag for fun and man! That thing still rocks! Probably the best purchase I did for the money!
Here are a couple of links from my two bands, I used the jag thru an hiwatt clone and a couple of dirt boxes. If you’d like to support by listening it would be great, given the sad time we’re living.

Youtube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=afrTZg0zOKw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dNG3Oishzgc

Bandcamp
https://nogaar.bandcamp.com/album/ot

https://cuccuruccukuru.bandcamp.com/alb ... -zugunruhe

Two very different projects, nogaar is alt-rock, electric kuru is fully improvised psych rock. Both are basement recordings, don’t be too hard on them ;)