How do you like your offsets?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
painted wood
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How do you like your offsets?

Post by painted wood » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:26 am

spaceghost wrote:
i don't think about how thurston or jm, kurdtz, mike, thom, nels, jack, josh, jeff, david, eddie, issac (johnny?!), jimmy, etc. etc. plays it.

play what you want, how you want.

especially BLACK.
true 8)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:40 am

I like mine worn in, vintage and with a handful of battlescars.

I'm quite rough on my guitars...yesterday my '61 started cutting out (I think the tone pot's dead) so I slammed it into a 4x12 out of anger in the end...had it been a cheapo I would of trhown it against the wall...it was so annoying.  >:( :(

the replacement CIJ Jazzmaster is almost done..I just need pups for it and then the '61 is retired from live use/rehearsals
Resident Spartan.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:51 am

here's my serious reply:

when it comes to jeans and shoes i prefer a broken-in-but-clean look. i also prefer my hair when it's a bit messy (not dirty though), and i feel more handsome with a five o'clock shadow than clean shaven. logically, this preference for the worn-but-well-taken-care-of applies to guitars as well. a pristine minty guitar does very little for me, but a guitar that shows obvious signs of frequent use always gets me interested. i do baby my guitars, but not in the sense that i won't throw them on the stage floor for nifty sound effects, or swing them around by the strings 'til they snap... i kinda see myself as a caring boxing coach. i pamper my fighters before and after every fight and make sure that they have everything they need, but in the ring i expect them to be tough enough to take some serious beating.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:58 am

mynameisjonas wrote: here's my serious reply:

when it comes to jeans and shoes i prefer a broken-in-but-clean look. i also prefer my hair when it's a bit messy (not dirty though), and i feel more handsome with a five o'clock shadow than clean shaven. logically, this preference for the worn-but-well-taken-care-of applies to guitars as well. a pristine minty guitar does very little for me, but a guitar that shows obvious signs of frequent use always gets me interested. i do baby my guitars, but not in the sense that i won't throw them on the stage floor for nifty sound effects, or swing them around by the strings 'til they snap... i kinda see myself as a caring boxing coach. i pamper my fighters before and after every fight and make sure that they have everything they need, but in the ring i expect them to be tough enough to take some serious beating.
You say it.
Nobody exists on purpose.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:59 am

FUZZ_KING wrote:

You say it.

damn right.
Resident Spartan.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:02 am

+1 :D
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:18 am

Last week I dropped my iBook (it was in sleep mode) on my 63 JM which was lying on the sofa. I thought "crap... laptop.. guitar... you idiot". But they're both still working fine and they both have a new ding. Basically, I don't really care as long as stuff stays functional. It's much worse when someone else does it, like when your roommate drops your beloved Rick4001 and it lands on the headstock. That's really worse.
Nobody exists on purpose.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:25 am

spaceghost wrote: i don't think about how thurston .......................
That was merely a comparison that everyone could understand.  Yeah, I don't think about other guitar players when I'm playing, but many do.  ;)

mynameisjonas wrote: i kinda see myself as a caring boxing coach. i pamper my fighters before and after every fight and make sure that they have everything they need, but in the ring i expect them to be tough enough to take some serious beating.
Well said!  Thats a BIG +1 here!
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:46 am

ALL guitars look MUCH better beat to death and abused. period.

no artificial über-relicing. 99% of the time it just looks ridiculous and cheap. i mean REALLY relic'd the hard way. ohhh yesss!

Pat.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:54 am

Pacafeliz wrote: ALL guitars look MUCH better beat to death and abused. period.

I have enough of a conscience not to turn my beloved offset in to a value-less piece of shit by just beating it, but wear is okay. ;)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

sonik
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sonik » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:06 pm

Every guitar/amp/pedal gets about 4-6 months where I'll baby it.  Every ding will hurt and make me feel guilty.  Then sometime after that...it ceases to matter much, as long as its superficial wear...

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:53 pm

Sorry to re-quote this again but it's exactly how I feel ! 
(I noticed the first scratch on my OTM JM today btw.. )

I'll add that I like my offsets alternately tuned.
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

the rollerdoor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the rollerdoor » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:10 pm

I've always thought of them as rare guitars, so honest playwear is okay, but abuse is ostentatious.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:55 pm

As much as I like Vintage gear, it's not for me. Just can't afford it and never will. I just don't see myself spending over 2 grand or more on an old guitar. Enen though They are the nicest playing' looking and awsome guitars. My intrest in Off-set just apeared to late I'm afraid. And I'm just not that good of a musician to justify them.

So, I deceided on some older MIJ examples. very nice guitars. Just with some upgrades.(always bought used and in need of repair)
Got two already and a third is in the pipeline...(And even witht the no.3, I wouldn't have spend as much as I would on an AVRI)
So, in the end I don't have to care too much for them, playing gigs, being afraid of them being stolen (vintage guitar theft is a nasty plague lately)

I just keep some vintage Fender amps arround, since I really love their sound (haven't found it in a newer amp)
But I rather have a '93 MIJ Basswood Jm thru a old Showman then a '62 Jm thru a line 6 amp. (Just a personal likeness)
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

Mute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mute » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:10 am

sookwinder wrote: How do you like your offsets?

medium rare, with a nice cold beer