An original ALL GOLD '62 Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
farmer42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: An original ALL GOLD '62 Jazzmaster

Post by farmer42 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:13 pm

fullerplast wrote:I dunno about that, I read that he was notoriously frugal.
That's actually one of the reasons he had surplusses. He'd buy or build in HUGE quantities to get the best deal. He was sort of like the modern extreme couponers.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Sat May 04, 2013 8:36 pm

fullerplast wrote:Remember, when they serviced a guitar, they put up-to-date parts on them (even the logo).
I'd still be completely shocked if they didn't keep a single gold spare around. Too many reasons why that doesn't make sense.

Not saying they necessarily ended up on guitars - I never said that was likely, just that anything's possible - but I'd have to wonder what was going through Leo's mind to not stock a replacement part during the service period for a top of the line guitar. The more modern pickguards wouldn't even fit those guitars without modifications (which means more labor).

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun May 05, 2013 4:27 am

What's the deal here? Why are so many defending this particular guitar? If a JM showed up on eBay with a gold guard and was listed as a '62, we would all be laughing about it. Is it because this guitar is gold? or because it's in Japan? I don't get it.

What if it was LPB with a gold guard and nickel hardware? Would you still be inclined to believe it? I don't see the gold hardware and color as having a whole lot to do with it. Somebody made it that way, sure, but probably not Fender using obsolete parts.

Or what if there was a '68 JM with black bobbin pickups. Would you tend to believe that too? Would you tend to think maybe they had them laying around and then put them on a customer's guitar because he liked the higher output?

As I said like a million times, sure, anything is possible. But not everything is likely. And this just...plain... isn't.
farmer42 wrote:
That's actually one of the reasons he had surplusses. He'd buy or build in HUGE quantities to get the best deal. He was sort of like the modern extreme couponers.
Exactly, and he used it all up as soon as he could. He didn't get the good deals to just have the surplus sitting around while they were building guitars. That would be ironic, wouldn't it?
Q. Are we not men?

powerdroid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by powerdroid » Sun May 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Hey, the plot thickens.... I thought it looked familiar, and went back to check ronsvintage.com, and it's the same guitar! Check the wear on the back.

Even more interesting is this, taken from the site :
Fender 1962 Jazzmaster in Triple Gold with slab board and anodized guard. Here’s one you won’t see many of and may never see again. This was allegedly one of a factory run of 20 done in 1962 with Shoreline Gold painted body, gold anodized guard and gold hardware. This guitar is in near mint condition except for some wear to the body paint, which appear to have been very thinly clearcoated. Further adding to its rarity, the body wood appears to be Mahogany. The gold hardware is immaculate and includes a gold trem arm. This guitar is stunning in its original gold plush-lined brown tolex case.

I have nothing to add regarding it's authenticity ( mahogany )etc, nor the "factory run of 20" story from that collector's website ( have a look, he's got plenty of cool guitars beautifully photographed ) But it does sound pretty weird.. I just go there for the pics every now and then....

It's a beauty for sure!

... and shouldn't this discussion be in the vintage section? :whistle:

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun May 05, 2013 1:09 pm

Nice find!

I could buy the story if there was documentation/corroboration. I wonder where the other 19 are?

It could just be a fable that was passed around. all the way to Japan.

I'd feel better about it if this was a different guitar exactly like it.
Q. Are we not men?

mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcjt » Sun May 05, 2013 6:16 pm

fullerplast wrote:What's the deal here? Why are so many defending this particular guitar? If a JM showed up on eBay with a gold guard and was listed as a '62, we would all be laughing about it.
This is a very strange thread.

Powerdroid- excellent find! i think the story is a little incredible, and the paint looks too gold top to me for Shoreline (is it me?), but i am still really impressed you found this link!

Sadly, we still haven't seen under that golden hood....

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Sun May 05, 2013 6:33 pm

farmer42 wrote:
Can you imagine Leo buying a huge shipment of something else before using up all of what he'd bought before?

It's not frugal to have huge surpluses - not if the stuff doesn't get used.

I mean, maybe of they randomly found 20 guards in a desk drawer, this could be a scheme to use them up? But it does all seem a bit odd. If that guitar was a '59 with the gold hardware and body finish, I'd be thinking 'promotional piece', but something feel right about it to me...
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

TheCurvedEarth
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TheCurvedEarth » Sun May 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Someone who can read and navigate the site should email asking for some gut pictures... I'd love to see under the guard.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Mon May 06, 2013 4:29 am

mcjt wrote: and the paint looks too gold top to me for Shoreline (is it me?)
I agree. Shoreline has more tan and less yellow, reference the pic I posted of mine early in the thread. This one is aged though, a yellow clearcoat would give it this hue. I don't know that I've looked at many pics of aged Shoreline.
Q. Are we not men?

bterry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bterry » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:49 am

I know this is a really old thread, but... :)

Just had to say that this guitar is BS. There are a number of things incorrect about it - even if you buy the idea that an annodized guard was used in 1962 (it wasn’t), the telltale signs that this is a mutt are in the hardware. This guitar has feautes only found in 1958 JMs, namely the round switch nut and square rhythm circuit switch. Also, the pickup covers and knobs are bright white, another feature consistent with a 1958 JM.

This guitar probably is either a parts guitar or was a factory refin. The finish is decidedly not shoreline gold and definitely not a shoreline gold finish from 1958. Shoreline gold tends to age in a silvery/greenish hue, there is no yelliw to it, per se. It’s possible the guitar was a one-off finish, but, considering the other issues w/ it it’s probably safe to assume a later refin.

Just my .02 cents...better late than never??

skarocker
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by skarocker » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:07 pm

20 of these were made to use up all the gold hardware that had been lying around. Quite possibly late fifties parts put together in 1962.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:26 pm

I'm not so sure about that.

Considering the recent bump in scholarship on vintage Fender since this thread was originally started I would expect to see someone have more photos or documentation of a run like this. It's a bold guitar and would have stood out even amongst the other wild custom colour guitars in SoCal at the time. They were only just codifying the custom colour program in '62, so a whole run of guitars in a custom spec would have been notable to say the least.

We have better documentary evidence of the surfburst JMs and there were 1/10th as many of them as this run of gold guitars is purported to be.