Show your Squier Mascis JM Mods/Improvements!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Show your Squier Mascis JM Mods/Improvements!

Post by pikmin » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:01 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:40 pm
Tell me of this blue ano guard. Because that's damn sexy. Nice job there!
I bought it on EBay China . The seller had only 3 and he doesn’t sell anything anymore ...

NelsonP
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NelsonP » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:18 am

Here's mine:
Seymour Duncan SJM2's
Rewired with vintage wire, CTS pots, Switchcraft switch and jack
Replacement Fender trem
New pickguard - shielded
Gotoh locking tuners
Neck shimmed using 1 degree StewMac shim

It is lovely.

Last edited by NelsonP on Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:57 am

My JMJM is from the first month of release, it had the more orange pickguard. Later I got the one that is more subtle and also got some chinese witch hats:

Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

hotcosby
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hotcosby » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:48 pm

NelsonP wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:18 am
Here's mine:
Seymour Duncan SJM2's
Replacement Fender trem
New pickguard - shielded
Gotoh locking tuners
Were you able to drop-in the Gotoh tuners without any issue? If so which model did you get? I've been trying to find some gold tuners that I can drop-in but have read so many conflicting things about it.

If anyone else has had luck with drop-in tuners please let me know which you had luck with! Thanks :)

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:19 pm

hotcosby wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:48 pm
NelsonP wrote:
Here's mine:
Seymour Duncan SJM2's
Replacement Fender trem
New pickguard - shielded
Gotoh locking tuners
Were you able to drop-in the Gotoh tuners without any issue? If so which model did you get? I've been trying to find some gold tuners that I can drop-in but have read so many conflicting things about it.

If anyone else has had luck with drop-in tuners please let me know which you had luck with! Thanks :)
Gotoh SD 91 MGT are a perfect drop in for the JMJM . I put it on mine and it’s great .

hotcosby
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hotcosby » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:07 am

pikmin wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:19 pm
hotcosby wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:48 pm
NelsonP wrote:
Here's mine:
Seymour Duncan SJM2's
Replacement Fender trem
New pickguard - shielded
Gotoh locking tuners

Gotoh SD 91 MGT are a perfect drop in for the JMJM . I put it on mine and it’s great .
Perfect! Just ordered some MGT's, can't wait to try them out. Thanks for the suggestion

hotcosby
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hotcosby » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:11 am

To anyone who has a Compton bridge on theirs:

Do you need to have your action set ridiculously high to avoid fretting out on bends above the 12th fret on the high e string? I just got mine and I have no idea why its like this.

Don B
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Don B » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:27 pm

hotcosby wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:11 am

Do you need to have your action set ridiculously high to avoid fretting out on bends above the 12th fret on the high e string? I just got mine and I have no idea why its like this.
The Compton bridge was designed for a floating bridge, particularly a Gretsch that had a bar bridge. It was designed to compensate for the curvature of the fretboard and to provide some scalar compensation (there is some debate as to whether it actually does this). Some have had good results with it on other styles, such as offsets but it really wasn't designed for this. Guitars with floating bridges would have a greater distance between the strings and the guitar body, which leads to the problem you are describing with an offset guitar.

First, go to the Compton web site and contact Wayne Compton. Tell him your problem and see if he can come up with a solution.

Second, if that doesn't work, try shimming your neck (he will probably suggest this as well).

hotcosby
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hotcosby » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:13 pm

Don B wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:27 pm
hotcosby wrote:

The Compton bridge was designed for a floating bridge, particularly a Gretsch that had a bar bridge. It was designed to compensate for the curvature of the fretboard and to provide some scalar compensation (there is some debate as to whether it actually does this). Some have had good results with it on other styles, such as offsets but it really wasn't designed for this. Guitars with floating bridges would have a greater distance between the strings and the guitar body, which leads to the problem you are describing with an offset guitar.

First, go to the Compton web site and contact Wayne Compton. Tell him your problem and see if he can come up with a solution.

Second, if that doesn't work, try shimming your neck (he will probably suggest this as well).
Got it, thanks a lot for the advice. I ended up just bringing it to a local luthier who said they can fix it up easily and make the Compton bridge work flawlessly.

Don B
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Don B » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:45 pm

hotcosby wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:13 pm
Don B wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:27 pm
hotcosby wrote:

Got it, thanks a lot for the advice. I ended up just bringing it to a local luthier who said they can fix it up easily and make the Compton bridge work flawlessly.
That works too! ;D

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:24 am

I didn't get along with the big frets, so I sold mine.
Quite an improvement... 😅
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

ol_lukey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ol_lukey » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:54 am

color is called anvil grey. i wanted just a dark satin grey but it was actually like a slate blue color which looks pretty good with the pickguard. First time tearing a guitar all the way down and it was a learning experience. also put a .25* stewmac shim in the neck which was an improvement. I did a lot of prep and the finish came out pretty decent (im sure it will get dinged up anyway so I'm not too worried about it.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:47 pm

Guess I can post what I've done to the Mascis body here:

Made my own bushing adapters; wasn't really too difficult, drilled the holes a bit small and reamed them out with a file to get a tight fit:

The Mascis neck pocket is shallower, the neck isn't as sunk into the body as on the VM (so the Tune-O-Matic would fit better, not that the factory's decision impacted the ability of the rocking bridge to still work.)

King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

controlo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by controlo » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:32 pm

i’ve had this setup for a few years now and a dozen guitars have come and gone.

curtis novak goldfoils
mastery vibrato
staytrem bridge
aluminum pickguard by tone-guard
wiring by rothstein guitars
removed rhythm circuit
unknown knobs from ebay

egostatistical
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by egostatistical » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:49 pm

spiral wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:05 am
SuccessPastaTime wrote:[Wilkinson roller bridge] but the other side ends up being literally a millimeter off and won't go into the post holes. Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or any solutions?
You aren't doing anything wrong. I bought one for an Italia guitar and had the same issue. The solution is to dremel out / widen one side (or both) from the back. I found comments from other people who had the same issue.
Same. It wasn’t a big deal once I figured out what I needed to do. Just Dremeled each post gently on the outside, and it didn’t take much.