Flatwound Strings or Rounds - Your Preference?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
LanceLink
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Flatwound Strings or Rounds - Your Preference?

Post by LanceLink » Sun May 06, 2012 9:05 am

DerRoy wrote:
The Pyramid Gold flats I have do come with both a wound and plain G.
Are these the ones from Strings By Mail?
Yes... those do appear to be the same strings... and about 5.00 cheaper than I paid!

Thanks for the heads up!

DerRoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DerRoy » Sun May 06, 2012 10:51 am

Yes... those do appear to be the same strings... and about 5.00 cheaper than I paid!
Thanks for the heads up!
Never mind :)

I'm trying to find out where to get those in Germany. They're made here, but you can only get the hex-core ones. They aren't even mentioned in the Pyramid catalogue. If anyone knows of a German or European source I'd be most grateful.
Of course it's alive - you cannot make music with dead Muppaphones.

slavemaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by slavemaster » Sun May 06, 2012 10:57 am

DerRoy wrote:
Thanks for the heads up!
Never mind

I'm trying to find out where to get those in Germany. They're made here, but you can only get the hex-core ones. They aren't even mentioned in the Pyramid catalogue. If anyone knows of a German or European source I'd be most grateful.
I usually order my Pyramid Golds through Banzai Music, and I believe they are based in Berlin.
We got people playing stringed instruments! It's the end of days.

Diabolikal1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Diabolikal1 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:29 am

I've always used rounds. After I use up what I have on hand I'm gonna try some flats.
Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe

DerRoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DerRoy » Sun May 06, 2012 1:49 pm

I usually order my Pyramid Golds through Banzai Music
Are you sure these are the round-core variety? I've been playing Pyramid Golds for some time, and those I've had were hex-core. Those at Strings By Mail are sold as round-core.

I might as well get a life and either stick to the Pyramid Golds I'm used to, or try Thomastik flats, but, well....

LanceLink
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LanceLink » Sun May 06, 2012 2:39 pm

DerRoy wrote:
I usually order my Pyramid Golds through Banzai Music
Are you sure these are the round-core variety? I've been playing Pyramid Golds for some time, and those I've had were hex-core. Those at Strings By Mail are sold as round-core.

I might as well get a life and either stick to the Pyramid Golds I'm used to, or try Thomastik flats, but, well....
I would be more than happy to pick up a set for you... pm me if you are interested.

DerRoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DerRoy » Mon May 07, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks for the offer, Eric :) I ordered a set of round-core Pyramid Golds directly from the manufacturer meanwhile. I'll post here as soon as I know at how much this worlks out.

JMFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JMFan » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:33 pm

lastlol wrote:
Tue May 01, 2012 11:04 am
Try them, see for yourself. I tried Fender flatwounds once and absolutely hated them.
I know this is an old thread, heck I know, I started it but let me add. Most flatwounds out there I don't like. D'Adarrio for example are stiff, very stiff. The good ones are expensive. Pyramid and Thomastik cost a lot more but they are worth it. Nice and smooth and not stiff. Reason is because most makers use a hex core because when they make them the inners don't slip out and run the strings or even when you cut them. But the good ones are made with round core. The round core are a lot less stiff and tension. Also only use pure nickel, not nickel plated steel or steel. You are asking for trouble if you use hex core nickel plated steel or pure steel. Yes, Thomastik and Pyramid cost a lot more but for playability and tone as well as feel and comfort it's better to spend more on either Pyramid and Thomastik.

Don't judge flats by using Fender brand. I was where you were in that. When I was quite young about 1991 I found out that Scotty Moore (Elvis guitarist) used flatwounds, I read it in some interview from him in a guitar magazine so I thought, big idea get flats. I got some D'Addario I believe they were and was disappointed and thought flats sound good on guitarist like Scotty Moore but not me. Years later, maybe about 12 years later I tried again when I got a Jazzmaster and paid more for Thomastik and I had a great revelation and that is some flats are great. In those days the Thomastik cost about $13. D'Addario Chromes were about $8. Over the years I tried Chromes again hoping I would change my preference and like them but that was a no go. Sucked all the way. I can imagine that Fender flats are hex core and steel. My Jazzmaster came with Fender flats and I was tempted to try them but I figure I'll keep the original case candy original because using Fender flats would suck bones anyway.

I also like hollowbodies with P90s and Dynasonic pickups with flatwounds.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:16 pm

Rounds for now.

If I ever get a Jag I’d put flats on it no question. Love that sound with the mute.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:42 pm

I had the same experience with D’addatio flats. I was super disappointed with their playability. Then, after having a revelation with EB Cobalt flats on my bass (easy on your fingers, great feel, sound mellow but not dead) I looked for the equivalent for guitar and forumites here put me into TI Jazz Swing flats. I now have them on all but one of my electrics. They’re easy to play, sound fantastic, and last a long time. Worth every penny!

JMFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JMFan » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:06 pm

About 9 out of 10 times I have strung it I have flats on it. Sometimes I want rounds to get some more bending or more zing out of it if you get that but I always go back to flats. So I have rounds now and want to change the strings and was going to do rounds again just because I don't play it much now that I have Mosrites but when I play it I may want to do some more bending or get more rock playing out of it but I seriously like the guitar with flats a lot more. Yes I can change the 3rd to a plain but I like a flatwound 3rd if I have flats and I know some say you can play rock with flats and that's true but I think rounds are more suited. I may go with 10s in Pyramids flats if they are made, which are pretty light for flats but I may try that. I used to do 12s then went to 11 flats. 10s may be interesting.

CivoLee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CivoLee » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:14 pm

The Ric 360 I had came with flats. I hated them because they made my pick scrapes sound thin and barely audible.

I may be in the minority in this thread, but for my part rounds all the way and twice on Sunday. To each their own.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:18 am

Normally a round wound player. But...my once-and-future bandmate I met in the late '90's had his guitars, which were mostly vintage, strung with Pyramids. For our instrumental band and recording I just used his stuff. Those strings were great. And all those pickups designed 70 years ago were meant to have big, fat strings. Once the amps (also vintage) and pedals were set-up everything sounded like all your favorite rock albums of the '50's and '60's before all the blues wankers started using 10's. Playing them was absolutely never a problem. Perfectly natural. But really, I never felt the need to get flatwounds for my own guitars, though.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:22 am

CivoLee wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:14 pm
The Ric 360 I had came with flats. I hated them because they made my pick scrapes sound thin and barely audible.

I may be in the minority in this thread, but for my part rounds all the way and twice on Sunday. To each their own.
Pick scrapes are basically non-existent and bending is definitely harder on big flats. I don't mess with either, and I love pretty much everything else about flats better, so I'm not going back to rounds again if I can help it

JMFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JMFan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:14 am

In my young mine (I'm 53 almost 54 but when I was much younger) I thought flats were for hollowbodies, Jazzmasters and Jags only. Never thought anyone would put flats on a Strat or Tele, even in the 1950s then I read Buddy Holly did. I am a bog Buddy Holly fan and listening all those years I didn't realize he did have flats on his Strats. Also a big Hank Marvin fan and didn't realize he had flats on the early recordings. So I was watching vids by a guitar player from Europe who does a good Hank Marvin and he used flats and realized how good it sounded for Shadows music. So I listen to old Shads songs closely and realize Hank Marvin has flats on his Strat. Since then Marvin has gone to rounds like most everyone else. Now James Burton with Ricky Nelson I would have a hard time believing he was using flats. In fact he put some banjo string or something in the 1st E string to get better bending.

So I put Thomastik flats on my 50s MIM Strat. Sounds great and I hear that Buddy Holly and Hank Marvin tone. On my Classic Player 60s Strat I kept rounds. Rounds are great also and covers lots of ground.