Mercury guitars anyone? (Original Fender Venus?)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
freemeat
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Mercury guitars anyone? (Original Fender Venus?)

Post by freemeat » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:16 am

I was really hoping they'd get some done.

I've a weird love hate relationship with the venus. In pictures it looks unreal, but in the flesh they look odd. A bit weirdly proportioned and much smaller than they look.

Always fancied building a bigger version based off Courtney's Green Mercury and tweaking it to look more like how I imagined it would be from pictures. Should've traced the body last time I had one.

Is the xii venus closer to the Mercury's? It's body shape looks slightly bigger and more similar to the ric shape that the Mercury's seem to have.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:21 am

Aww, I saw the post update and thought Tim had finally come back to say hey.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:10 am

freemeat wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:16 am
I've a weird love hate relationship with the venus. In pictures it looks unreal, but in the flesh they look odd. A bit weirdly proportioned and much smaller than they look.

Always fancied building a bigger version based off Courtney's Green Mercury and tweaking it to look more like how I imagined it would be from pictures. Should've traced the body last time I had one.

Is the xii venus closer to the Mercury's? It's body shape looks slightly bigger and more similar to the ric shape that the Mercury's seem to have.
The 'oddness' and 'small' feeling of the Venus comes from the bridge position relative to the rear strap button- there's no meat back there like there is on a normal offset, so you get that shorty feeling even though it's a full 25.5" scale guitar.

AFAIK, the Venus XII body is the same as the six-string, though in all honesty I've only ever played the XIIs. I did order an aftermarket pickguard for my first venus XII, but I could only find the 6-string ones available online. The curves and contours fit my XII project just fine, although I had to mod it for different pickups and a slightly different TOMXII bridge.

Geetarfreek82
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Geetarfreek82 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:25 pm

I signed up here to just comment on this thread and the Jag-stang thread. I'd love to rock one of these Mercury guitars. It's a shame the momentum this had has seemed to fizzle out.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:49 pm

Geetarfreek82 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:25 pm
I signed up here to just comment on this thread and the Jag-stang thread. I'd love to rock one of these Mercury guitars. It's a shame the momentum this had has seemed to fizzle out.
Nirvana fan?
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Geetarfreek82
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Geetarfreek82 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:58 pm

JSett wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:49 pm
Geetarfreek82 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:25 pm
Nirvana fan?
Of course, but I'm also just a fan of unique looking guitars.

live-i-evil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by live-i-evil » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:55 am

Roncore wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:33 pm
Sad to see this whole project die, what a great story.

If those Mercury's weren't built in the past 11-12 years this thread has been going, I doubt they ever will be. I kind of feel sorry for Live I evil though, he did such a kindhearted deed and never got the guitar he was promised in return, and they just kinda dropped off.
Wow,

This thread is still going!

I still have my Mercury and I just wanted to say I have absolutely no regrets of any kind about getting that red Mercury back to Tim and Danny. Why would I? I sent that guitar right where it was supposed to go - back to the original builder who didn't even have one! Hell, Tim made that offer after I'd already shipped it out to him and I had no idea about it when I started the search. If it does happen it'll be amazing but I'm not worried if it doesn't.

I know last time I talked to Tim a few years back it seemed he was pretty busy with his business as it was but he was definitely interested in it. I totally understand that it's been a while and there haven't been any new Mercury guitars made but life sometimes just takes the long road.