Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
edwardskim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by edwardskim » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:02 am

vistavision wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:25 pm
edwardskim wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:02 pm
Furthermore, the Lake Placid Blue, Black, and Sherwood Green have all been discontinued. Only the Metallic KO and Olympic White are in production.
The LPB, Black, and Sherwood Green were always low # limited runs and when they sold out they were gone. The Metallic KO and Oly White are the only regular finishes of the Marr Jag since the beginning.
Yep! I owned 2 Sherwoods personally. I also worked at Fender so I am very aware of how low # those were lol

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:12 am

loungelife wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:01 am
Hey, does anyone have a good recomendation for a jag pickup like the bareknuckes? I'd love to find a pair of the bareknuckles, but they've been hard to find.
On a similar note, does anyone know of pickups that sound like the bareknuckles that aren't as low output?

Love the Marr, but its a pain switching between it and my JM/tele, which have similar output.

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:45 am

shoule79 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:12 am
loungelife wrote:
Hey, does anyone have a good recomendation for a jag pickup like the bareknuckes? I'd love to find a pair of the bareknuckles, but they've been hard to find.
On a similar note, does anyone know of pickups that sound like the bareknuckles that aren't as low output?

Love the Marr, but its a pain switching between it and my JM/tele, which have similar output.
The answer is a transparent boost pedal

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:27 pm

JamesSGBrown wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:45 am
shoule79 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:12 am
loungelife wrote:

The answer is a transparent boost pedal
That is the current solution. I like the sound more without a boost. First world problems.

snarf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by snarf » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:27 am

Looks like the price has gone up

EDIT: should have looked back a page somebody already mentioned it

Fender production seems slow. Mod shop is taking a lot of time on my order.

loungelife
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loungelife » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:04 pm

I noticed price increases across the board. Some examples: TVL JM is now $1499 up from 1325. Vintera 60s Jag is $1099 up from $1049. I'm also seeing a lot of these guitars are out of stock everywhere with just "reserve" buttons available. My hunch is increased demand with lower supply of raw materials due to covid. Plus I think we're seeing a devaluation of the US dollar, but that's more speculative.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:33 pm

The Marr Jaguar was essentially the same price for 8 years. It's original MAP in 2012 was $1749, and in the past several years ('17?'18?) the street price became $1799. Then this year it jumped up $300. Fender does this a lot. They'll keep something at a price for almost a decade and then have a substantial price increase. Maybe they want to have everybody bitch about it all at once instead of every year.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

SuperDistortion
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SuperDistortion » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:09 am

Meriphew wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:13 am
I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want to change out the pickups on one of my Marr Jags (I have a KO & LPB). I like the stock BK pups, but sometimes I need more "oomph" to my sound. I'm planning on putting a set of Fralin 5% overwound in my KO Jag (which has already been modded with a Mastery Bridge and Spitfire tort guard). I'm keeping the LPB Marr completely stock.

Oh, and I'm not looking to use boost pedals to make up for the lower output, just to get that out of the way.

Who else here has swapped pickups?
I know this response is months later, but FWIW... have done this exact thing - swapped bridge for a a Fralin +5%. Recommend it if you want more output for higher gain playing etc. It's exactly what you'd expect.

Here's a tip though: the Marr has a different wiring scheme to a vintage Jag obviously, and neither I nor the Fralin people could work out how to make their neck pickup work in it. Not sure if it was a different grounding or phase arrangement, but it flat out would not operate with both pickups installed. The bridge pickup alone is an easy swap though.

Also, super minor issue - be aware that you can't simply swap the pickup cover of the BK bridge pup to the Fralin bridge pup to match the neck cover colour - the Fralin's cover is solidly attached to the pickup.

The original BKs do sound very good and relatively unique though - you might miss them as I did. They kind of remind me of a mid 70s Strat pickup, i.e. relatively low output but a beautiful sound. I ended up putting mine back in and now use an EQ/boost for playing with gain (> more mids, more output).

That said, if like you I had two Marr jags, I'd also swap pickups in one of them and keep one stock.

In retrospect, if I ever get a second Marr jag, I think I'll ask Bare Knuckle if they can sell me a higher output pickup set with the same wiring orientation as the Marr set. I really want to keep all that functionality, and they should know exactly what's required. JM, Fender and BK pretty much nailed it with this model.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:05 am

SuperDistortion wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:09 am
Here's a tip though: the Marr has a different wiring scheme to a vintage Jag obviously, and neither I nor the Fralin people could work out how to make their neck pickup work in it. Not sure if it was a different grounding or phase arrangement, but it flat out would not operate with both pickups installed. The bridge pickup alone is an easy swap though.
The only thing different about any neck pickup in the Marr circuit is that the ground can't be shared between the claw and the negative side of the coil. So you need to cut the little jumper that usually joins the claw to the coil ground. And then install a separate ground just for the claw. That separation is necessary for series, because then the negative side of the neck coil is not grounded, but connected to the positive side of the bridge coil.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:06 pm

SuperDistortion wrote:
Meriphew wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:13 am
I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want to change out the pickups on one of my Marr Jags (I have a KO & LPB). I like the stock BK pups, but sometimes I need more "oomph" to my sound. I'm planning on putting a set of Fralin 5% overwound in my KO Jag (which has already been modded with a Mastery Bridge and Spitfire tort guard). I'm keeping the LPB Marr completely stock.

Oh, and I'm not looking to use boost pedals to make up for the lower output, just to get that out of the way.

Who else here has swapped pickups?
I know this response is months later, but FWIW... have done this exact thing - swapped bridge for a a Fralin +5%. Recommend it if you want more output for higher gain playing etc. It's exactly what you'd expect.

Also, super minor issue - be aware that you can't simply swap the pickup cover of the BK bridge pup to the Fralin bridge pup to match the neck cover colour - the Fralin's cover is solidly attached to the pickup.

The original BKs do sound very good and relatively unique though - you might miss them as I did. They kind of remind me of a mid 70s Strat pickup, i.e. relatively low output but a beautiful sound. I ended up putting mine back in and now use an EQ/boost for playing with gain (> more mids, more output).

That said, if like you I had two Marr jags, I'd also swap pickups in one of them and keep one stock.

In retrospect, if I ever get a second Marr jag, I think I'll ask Bare Knuckle if they can sell me a higher output pickup set with the same wiring orientation as the Marr set. I really want to keep all that functionality, and they should know exactly what's required. JM, Fender and BK pretty much nailed it with this model.
That info is extremely helpful. Thx!

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:07 pm

timtam wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:05 am
SuperDistortion wrote:
The only thing different about any neck pickup in the Marr circuit is that the ground can't be shared between the claw and the negative side of the coil. So you need to cut the little jumper that usually joins the claw to the coil ground. And then install a separate ground just for the claw. That separation is necessary for series, because then the negative side of the neck coil is not grounded, but connected to the positive side of the bridge coil.
More great info! Thx!

SuperDistortion
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SuperDistortion » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:37 pm

timtam wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:05 am
[The only thing different about any neck pickup in the Marr circuit is that the ground can't be shared between the claw and the negative side of the coil. So you need to cut the little jumper that usually joins the claw to the coil ground. And then install a separate ground just for the claw. That separation is necessary for series, because then the negative side of the neck coil is not grounded, but connected to the positive side of the bridge coil.
Seconding thanks for this - saving the info for when I get a second Marr.

Jahn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jahn » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:23 am

Found this - looks like the first matching headstock Marr I've seen!

AztecGold
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by AztecGold » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:59 am

There have been across the board price increases on US-made fenders both guitars and amps, I believe. Some of them had been the same price for numerous years so I suppose it makes sense.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:10 am

Guys, guitars are getting more expensive. Doesn’t make sense. I can’t imagine the new guitar market surviving much longer like this amidst the amount of great secondhand instruments floating around.

To me, the Mexican made fenders over a grand are obsolete. There’s used ones much cheaper, the Asian ones rival the quality, and the American ones that can be had cheaper or the same price new. Absolutely no reason to buy a New Mexican fender. Especially with the disgusting looking fretboards.