Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed May 11, 2022 6:36 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:04 am
A left handed model would be nice. In green though.
I'd be happy with a Squier Jag in a lefty format. I've never played a Jag.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed May 11, 2022 6:43 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:28 am
That's interesting to know. I've seen the video of JM appraising his tweaks and thought he was taking credit for the Staytrem collet and bridge where credit isn't due. Can you describe the difference between the two systems (or should I just watch the video again)?
The Marr bridge is basically just a Mustang bridge with anti-sink bushings, which the Staytrem already had. The existing Staytrem that had been available for some years by the time Fender released the Marr jaguar additionally had intonation screws with hex heads, offset from the strings, nylon anti-shake washers on those screws, and 52mm E-E spacing. But the "John Moore" that Marr and his guitar tech talk about working with in the video is John Moore of Staytrem. So while one could get the impression from the video that JM and his guitar tech came up with/influenced some of the ideas in the Marr bridge, maybe that was inadvertent, as it was John's existing IP (maybe they had talked in years prior ?). Exactly how the Marr jag ended up with only a "minimalist Staytrem" (initially with poorer 55mm E-E spacing), made in California, I am not sure has ever been fully explained ? The fact that the word "Staytrem" is never uttered in the video despite Moore's involvement is somewhat odd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HQQSYa7nDg

I'm less clear on the collet differences but IIRC there were perhaps two generations of the Marr collet/base, which looked quite different from underneath.

Marr bridge:

Staytrem circa time of Marr release:
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Thu May 12, 2022 10:10 am

I think I remember reading/hearing at some point that Johnny started to use the Staytrem bridge on his own Jaguars and during the proto phase Marr/Fender/Moore worked on a way to use the staytrem on the sig model. I assume what that ended up being was that Staytrem (aka Moore) supplied the collett and arm as well as the base of the bridge but Fender decided to use their own saddles. Which I also assume is why the "Staytrem bridge" was always a little different to the "Fender Marr bridge".

There may have been a point where Staytrem/Moore wanted to keep their IP and not license it to Fender for production or something like that.

I think that Fender does that kind of stuff. On the Jim Root stuff, or the Jazzmaster at least, they use EMG pickups but not the EMG pots and quick connects. The EMG stuff gets soldered to standard fender pots and switch.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Thu May 12, 2022 10:10 am

Also - I started calling around to my usual suspects and Yellow MarrGuar apparently not able to be pre-ordered yet.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat May 14, 2022 4:28 am

Just reviewing what I wrote above about the Staytrem pre-dating the Marr Jaguar ... and I'm no longer so sure of that separation in time. The Marr Jaguar appeared in 2012 and had obviously been worked on for some years prior to that.

On the Wayback machine the Staytrem website dates from 2009, but that was before any offset products. The first arm was for the strat. It appears that the Staytrem bridge may not have appeared on the website until 2013.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:07 am

Any news on the new fever dreams yellow Marrguar?

caples
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by caples » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:30 am

Not that I've heard, but I really hope it will happen
1969 Comp Blue Mustang, 1965 Natural Jaguar

Texxxxx
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Texxxxx » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:13 pm

TheCappy wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:58 pm
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:18 pm
In response to fixing that, it’s a no go. Once it loosens like that, it’s broke for good. I can dispose of it properly for you just PM me for my address and I only charge like $30 for the service.

No - loosen the strings, remove the trem unit from the body, and grab the socket set. You just need to retighten the collet from the bottom, it’s NBD
Lol, yeah after I had asked the question I looked up the design and figured it had to do with the part that screws on to allow the plastic insert to be… inserted. Appreciate the response. I did find and bought a replacement fender insert if just tightening it doesn’t work. Part# 7712942000
Hello, So I am having the same problem. Did you solve yours? I also bought a new (overpriced...lol) insert, as the bottom nut was already tight to the part with the shaft that screws into the tremolo plate. The new insert made no difference as the bottom bolt also just tightened all the way. I wonder if something is missing in mine. The entire bottom nut seems over-engineered and has a concave bottom that seems like something should fit into to push up against the insert and make the arm tight so it does not swing down.

My tremolo arm mount only has four parts: 1) the arm, which fits into 2) the insert which fits into 3) the sleeve that screws into the tremolo plate and the insert is held in the sleeve by 4) the bottom bolt. Do you have anything that goes between the insert and the bottom bolt to apply more pressure on the insert?

Thanks-Al

TheCappy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TheCappy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:48 pm

Texxxxx wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:13 pm
TheCappy wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:58 pm
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:18 pm
In response to fixing that, it’s a no go. Once it loosens like that, it’s broke for good. I can dispose of it properly for you just PM me for my address and I only charge like $30 for the service.

No - loosen the strings, remove the trem unit from the body, and grab the socket set. You just need to retighten the collet from the bottom, it’s NBD
Lol, yeah after I had asked the question I looked up the design and figured it had to do with the part that screws on to allow the plastic insert to be… inserted. Appreciate the response. I did find and bought a replacement fender insert if just tightening it doesn’t work. Part# 7712942000
Hello, So I am having the same problem. Did you solve yours? I also bought a new (overpriced...lol) insert, as the bottom nut was already tight to the part with the shaft that screws into the tremolo plate. The new insert made no difference as the bottom bolt also just tightened all the way. I wonder if something is missing in mine. The entire bottom nut seems over-engineered and has a concave bottom that seems like something should fit into to push up against the insert and make the arm tight so it does not swing down.

My tremolo arm mount only has four parts: 1) the arm, which fits into 2) the insert which fits into 3) the sleeve that screws into the tremolo plate and the insert is held in the sleeve by 4) the bottom bolt. Do you have anything that goes between the insert and the bottom bolt to apply more pressure on the insert?

Thanks-Al
Al,

You are not missing anything.

That part 7712942000 didn’t completely fix it for me. I also had to buy a new(proper) arm. Since I bought my Marr used I’m guessing the o.g. owner didn’t give me the right arm bar or that looseness is why he sold it. The new fender bushing and correct bar fit nice and tight.

Oddly enough I bought just a staytrem collet to put in a jazzmaster and the arm that came with my used Marr fits nice and snug. So maybe when Fender switched over to the their version they still used the arm that fit the staytrem better and they are slightly different.

Edit: 7712945000 (correct arm part #)

Texxxxx
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Texxxxx » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:56 pm

Thank you TheCappy,

Thanks for verifying that no parts are missing, I bought mine used, too. I have a Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster and when I switch arms between that and the JM Jag, they both stay put without feeling like either is getting stressed. That will be my short-term solution.

Thank goodness you answered...you put my mind at ease; I can obsess over stuff like this forever...lol!

-Al

TheCappy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TheCappy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:59 pm

Texxxxx wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:56 pm
Thank you TheCappy,

Thanks for verifying that no parts are missing, I bought mine used, too. I have a Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster and when I switch arms between that and the JM Jag, they both stay put without feeling like either is getting stressed. That will be my short-term solution.

Thank goodness you answered...you put my mind at ease; I can obsess over stuff like this forever...lol!

-Al
Completely understand! Glad I could shed some light on it.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:29 am

A buddy of mine was seeing Marr live last night here in Seattle, and was doing a meet and greet with him. I asked him if he had a chance, to ask Marr if/when we'll see new colors of Marr Jaguars.

Texxxxx
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Texxxxx » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:39 am

Great!

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:29 pm

Yes please let us know when the man himself says

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:20 pm

I sent Fender an email a week or so ago, and the response was that they hadn’t heard anything about it. Not sure that counts for much though.