Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
WestFromWisco
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by WestFromWisco » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:09 pm

That's rad about 11's. I had no idea ..................... that being said I'm sticking with tens.

Thanks for sharing that story. Marr is a genuine excellent chap all around.

This thing looks different all the time. Color changer almost.

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:03 pm

Bought one of these to flip…
… let’s see if I can resist assimilating it into the stable eh…

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:58 pm

i want this guitar so gd bad. especially after putting together my capri orange jag, this is so close to the competition mustang color i’ve always been obsessed with. just beautiful.
sal paradise wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:46 am
He’s clearly wrong though. Everyone knows 10s are perfect on a Jag.
i surprisingly haven’t gone past 10s. it’s so fast with enough attitude and i’m too lazy to file the nut. my JM gets 11,12s, and my strat is still on 16s

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:53 pm

JamesSGBrown wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:03 pm
Chickened out 😂

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:21 am

WestFromWisco wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:54 am
I actually met him a few weeks ago backstage at a Killers show. Nicest guy ever! Actually wanted to know about me. Where I'm from, what bands I listen too, what guitars I play. Perfect English gentleman.
Lovely to hear. I listened to his autobiography because he's actually reading it and it was like listening to an amazing ten hour interview, highly recommend!
WestFromWisco wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:48 am
Wow! I'm really impressed with this guitar! It's almost up to a Custom Shop level IMO for half the price. The tuning stability, even after just slamming the vibrato, is the best I've come across. Also the pickups are so quiet. I was expecting this to have a ton of hum. Love the finish too. Really stoked and for a sure a keeper for me. Mine came almost perfect for set up right out of the box. I just lowered the action a bit. I also ran some micro mesh over the back of the neck to remove some lacquer. It was a bit sticky for me. I really prefer a matte finish back there.
I used to own the LPB one when it came out, highly regret selling it. Imo, along with the AV 12-17 series, truly one of Fender's best guitars in decades, enjoy!

WestFromWisco
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by WestFromWisco » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:37 am

JamesSGBrown wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:53 pm
JamesSGBrown wrote:
Chickened out 😂

LOLOLOLOL.

TBH I wasn't sure if I would keep this guitar either, but I 100% am. I can't put it down.

caples
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by caples » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:40 am

WestFromWisco wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:37 am
JamesSGBrown wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:53 pm
JamesSGBrown wrote:
Chickened out 😂

LOLOLOLOL.

TBH I wasn't sure if I would keep this guitar either, but I 100% am. I can't put it down.
Same... will probably end up selling because I kind of need the money but it is an insanely good guitar.
1969 Comp Blue Mustang, 1965 Natural Jaguar

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:24 am

Had to get one, as this is as close to a favorite color as I could hope for :-)
Just wanted to post first impressions, esp since I have an early MKO version, and I have to say that besides the selector switch first being too pressed in and then falling off (I have to replace it), the guitar plays and feels exceptionally well. If this is the level the new AVRIs are made to, I can almost understand the hefty price tags. If I wanted a NOS-type Fender, and I had the budget for it, I can't really see myself going for a CS made one, if there wasn't some weird spec thing I wanted or that the CS offered. When it comes to the Marr, it's already spec'd out with idiosyncratic features, so it's a no-brainer if that's your thing.

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:31 am

smalahove wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:24 am
Had to get one, as this is as close to a favorite color as I could hope for :-)
Just wanted to post first impressions, esp since I have an early MKO version, and I have to say that besides the selector switch first being too pressed in and then falling off (I have to replace it), the guitar plays and feels exceptionally well. If this is the level the new AVRIs are made to, I can almost understand the hefty price tags. If I wanted a NOS-type Fender, and I had the budget for it, I can't really see myself going for a CS made one, if there wasn't some weird spec thing I wanted or that the CS offered. When it comes to the Marr, it's already spec'd out with idiosyncratic features, so it's a no-brainer if that's your thing.
I stand by it- the best production guitar Fender makes!!!

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:35 am

I own around 6-7 Fender Custom Shop guitars, as well as two Marr Jaguars (KO & LPB). The Marr Jaguars are 90% of the way there to being a Fender Custom Shop model. If you cherry pick one, you can get 98% of the way there. My KO Marr has a Birdseye maple neck, and is in the lower 8lb range. My LPB Marr Jaguar has a quarter sawn neck, and is in the lower 8lb range as well.

kungfugazi
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kungfugazi » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:13 pm

Hey! Got my yellow Marr Jag a few weeks ago, it's a great guitar. Pickups seems kinda microphonic though, I can hear it thru the amp when I tap the pickups with a pick. Is that normal for this guitar? The bridge pickup in particular tends to squeal when i use both my overdrive and my fuzz on. None of my other guitars (one of them being a avri jag) do that.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:18 pm

kungfugazi wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:13 pm
Hey! Got my yellow Marr Jag a few weeks ago, it's a great guitar. Pickups seems kinda microphonic though, I can hear it thru the amp when I tap the pickups with a pick. Is that normal for this guitar? The bridge pickup in particular tends to squeal when i use both my overdrive and my fuzz on. None of my other guitars (one of them being a avri jag) do that.
I've read that the pickups are unpotted, so yes, they will be microphonic.

kungfugazi
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kungfugazi » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:49 am

sunburster wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:18 pm
kungfugazi wrote:
I've read that the pickups are unpotted, so yes, they will be microphonic.
Thanks for the answer. That makes sense... I don't mind the clicking noise much since I dont tend to hit the pickups on that guitar. The squealing on the bridge PU is kind of a bummer, although to be fair I don't think I'll be using that guitar with tons of fuzz stacked over other dirt pedals. Got a jazzmaster for that.

That guitar sounds unreal clean, it's amazing really. So articulate. Love the hi pass filters too, never used it on my avri but here I love it.

Texxxxx
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Texxxxx » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:44 pm

kungfugazi wrote:
Don't know about the squeal...maybe I don't play as loud as you. As far as tapping the pickups, yes I can hear it. And also on the LP, 339, and Tele that are out. Not on the Jazzmaster, however.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:54 am

I have noticed with these that some are not grounded as well as others and therefore noisier and more prone to additional sonic options.

Not sure if thats just assembly variance or an artifact of the BN pickups - some being noisier than others.

That said - I dont think i have ever had one that had feedback issues