AVRI JM GAS? What does THAT mean? The Acronym Directory!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AVRI JM GAS? What does THAT mean? The Acronym Directory!

Post by GreenKnee » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:04 am

Somebody touched on this earlier, possibly Johnny, that what we have here is a classic case of white people (I presume) speaking on behalf of groups of people without any actual experiences of what these people feel to be offensive.
I'm sure if any of you were in a situation talking about amps and somebody told you explicitly that they weren't comfortable with the language you were using to describe one that you would apologise and refrain from using the term again. This is how it should work as we are all decent people (I hope) and are willing to learn and improve things for everyone.
Speaking on behalf of groups of people without their input is in itself demeaning and the definition of patronising.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:10 am

JSett wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:29 pm
[... - Thanks for the history lesson, I was unaware of most/all of this. -A]

If we stopped making these things a thing, or allowing them to be, then the walls would come down easier and there'd be a lot less animosity in the world. But, then again, no one's perfect and people do have a tendency to let feelings overpower their logic. By pandering to these things we actually cause more resentment and division by highlighting our differences as humans rather than trying to put them to one side.
Bingo. I'm not sure if people (and I'm sure they're well-meaning) realise, but it's nonsense like the descriptor 'black face' (which as a pair of words has never been used as a racial slur AFAIK) being deemed 'offensive' that makes it very easy for insensitive clods to dismiss other things that actually have meaningful impact (addressing discrimination/racism/sexism/inequality/societal problems) as 'the woke-ist agenda gone mad' and similar stupid terms.

And by golly, isn't it just great to know that Puisheen has moved from self-appointed offset expert (don't forget your hammer) to self-appointed expert in cultural appropriation, race and linguistics. Preach, brother!
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:15 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:10 am
And by golly, isn't it just great to know that Puisheen has moved from self-appointed offset expert (don't forget your hammer) to self-appointed expert in cultural appropriation, race and linguistics. Preach, brother!
He better ditch his Jazzmasters then...as Jazz is a music of black origin and by him using it as a term, as a white person, he is now guilty of cultural appropriation ::)

I'm off to scrape the first 4 letters off of all my headstock decals now, just in case. Don't wanna be racist.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:40 am

...meanwhile none of this has anything at all to do with acronyms...

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:30 am

Futuron wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:40 am
...meanwhile none of this has anything at all to do with acronyms...
True. Classic OSG digression

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:31 pm

JSett wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:15 am
I'm off to scrape the first 4 letters off of all my headstock decals now, just in case. Don't wanna be racist.
Fend? ???

;)
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:36 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:31 pm
JSett wrote:
Fend? ???

;)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:35 pm

Personally, I wait to be told what marginalized groups want me to be saying or not saying.

Puisheen could get a sunburn from an exposed fluorescent light bulb. I'm tired of white men telling other white men what is or isn't offensive when it pertains to people who aren't also white men.

I grew up being told by other white people that the term "Eskimo" was offensive, and that I shouldn't use it. Later in life, my first aboriginal friend (the term he used to refer to himself, despite white people telling me it's now a no-no) explained that calling someone an Eskimo is only offensive if they aren't one - since it's an actual term that many people identify with, and is only offensive when inaccurately applied to someone who isn't one, much like "Mexican" is only offensive when a stupid white person applies it to a Colombian or Cuban, etc.

If anyone personally hurt by the legacy of blackface tells me that the Fender amp nickname is offensive, I'll believe them, no question.

But if it's white dudes reaching consensus with other white dudes about what's offensive to non-white or non-dudes, I'll remain skeptical. As a white dude, our only job is to fucking stop speaking for other people already. Even if it's out of guilt over past white dudes speaking for other people, and even if it's with the best of intentions.

Listen. Support people who speak up about the things that affect them. You're not a fucking ally if yours is still the loudest voice in the conversation, you know?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:34 pm

Taking the bull by the horns I surveyed two local black musicians I know yesterday (likely double the sample size Puisheen used) out of interest and neither said they'd even made the connection - and both laughed at the idea of it.

I think we're good.
Embenny wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:35 pm
Puisheen could get a sunburn from an exposed fluorescent light bulb.
And this made me laugh loud enough to wake my wife :D

Wucan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wucan » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:00 pm

If I walk into M&M and they mispronounce my horribly unamerican name, should I expect a pronunciation guide from Puisheen the following week?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:15 pm

JSett wrote:
andy_tchp wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:10 am
He better ditch his Jazzmasters then...as Jazz is a music of black origin and by him using it as a term, as a white person, he is now guilty of cultural appropriation ::)

Might want to scrape the last six letters off too, I'm pretty sure "master" has a pretty ugly history as well.

Oh, shit. Someone call Puisheen, we need him to announce the switch to calling them "Amps with two volume knobs - one for the preamp and one for the power amp." It's a lot wordier than "master volume amp" but nothing worth doing is ever easy.

Get him to call the "Making global adjustments to dynamics, signal level and tonal balance as the final step prior to publishing music" engineers while he's at it.

Oh fuck, and "expensive non-rocking-y" bridges.

We're gonna need to burn this forum down to the ground and start over just to be safe.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

letterstoboddah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by letterstoboddah » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:33 am

i am glad to have found this thread because i was getting very confused with all the codes you use on here. i think i might print them out as a guide hahahah