these recent gold guards

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: these recent gold guards

Post by fullerplast » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:42 am

I have a Japanese gold guard on my Nomaster. I bought it off a forum member whom I believe ordered it directly from Japan. So they are available. That being said, I have to say they are good mainly for a project or on a CIJ if you're not too worried about authenticity. They are thin as can be, very flexible, and they look more like brass than gold. They have 13 holes in the MIJ/CIJ pattern. The brush on the anodizing is quite different. Not something one would want to put on a vintage JM, IMO.

Here we have (left) a real one, (middle) MIJ repro, (right) Scotland repro:

Q. Are we not men?

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:34 am

I might add to that, though, that the repro I bought directly from Japan (and that you just mentionned, Doug) was a Fender Japan gold guard, not an All Parts Japan one.

My guess is that they could be very different..    And I'd like to know if the All Parts Japan one would be for an MIJ/CIJ or for vintage/AVRI..

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:16 pm

Soiouz wrote: I might add to that, though, that the repro I bought directly from Japan (and that you just mentionned, Doug) was a Fender Japan gold guard, not an All Parts Japan one.

My guess is that they could be very different..    And I'd like to know if the All Parts Japan one would be for an MIJ/CIJ or for vintage/AVRI..
the allpartsjapan guards are only for vintage and AVRI. and judging from the pictures i´ve seen, the grain and color is similar to the current fender gold guards.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:25 pm

mynameisjonas wrote:
Soiouz wrote: I might add to that, though, that the repro I bought directly from Japan (and that you just mentionned, Doug) was a Fender Japan gold guard, not an All Parts Japan one.

the allpartsjapan guards are only for vintage and AVRI. and judging from the pictures i´ve seen, the grain and color is similar to the current fender gold guards.
Actually, they have two models of JM pickguards. All the "No. 1" models seems to fit Japanese guitars- there is text underneath the JM pickguard that translates to "There is the compatibility of Fender Japan." using babelfish. And in their FAQ they have this:

"Q. Aged White P/G No.1 and No.2 (3PLY) please teach the difference of the screw hole. Adjusts
A. No.1 , to current FENDER JAPAN. No.2 (3PLY) , that type you took from those of 1963 make time of FENDER, is thing, but concerning the difference and the like with the individual difference whose that time is detailed pardon you ask."

Later down the pickguard page they have a "JM AL PICKGUARD" in copper and gold. They have this text under it:

"It is アノダイズド pick guard for the jaguar and jazz master. We have reached the same sun/size as FENDER U.S.A. FACTORY PARTS, it is not agreeable to FENDER JAPAN. The color the general gold (21K) with, COPPER of the tannin め (the copper) prepared 2 colors of the color."

So I think they have two gold guard available, one to fit Japanese JMs and one to fit AVRI/Vintage
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:31 am

i stand corrected :)
i never bothered to translate the text. the last time i spoke to them (about six months ago) they only had the american version though.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:25 am

I'm seriously GASsing for a gold guard for my OTM JM now, after seeing all these pics!
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:26 am

FireAarro wrote: the not for export japanese models thing was just made up for ebay sellers to get more money. it does have some basis in truth i guess, fender usa etc. don't import a lot of cool fender japan models which are awesome.

Ishibashi is a Japanese music chain, like Guitar Center or whatever. They ship overseas, so you can order cool stuff from them.
The whole "not for export" thing dealt with MIJ vs CIJ Fender Japan gear. Ishibashi is indeed a large guitar store chain which will ship abroad (although there was a recent headline saying that Fender USA had told Fender Japan not to ship any more guitars to the US - whether Ishibashi has stopped shipping them or not is a question I can't answer).

These pickguards are being made by AllParts which has no relation to Fender Japan. I wrote to AllParts UK hoping that they could get something from AllParts Japan "internally" but I was advised that I should order directly. Shipping charges are a bit steeper than from AllParts US or UK, of course. Ishibashi stores are also dealers of AllParts Japan but they'll likely have a markup of some sort.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:24 am

mjet260 wrote: These pickguards are being made by AllParts which has no relation to Fender Japan. I wrote to AllParts UK hoping that they could get something from AllParts Japan "internally" but I was advised that I should order directly. Shipping charges are a bit steeper than from AllParts US or UK, of course. Ishibashi stores are also dealers of AllParts Japan but they'll likely have a markup of some sort.
I'm not sure if they'll have a markup or not because Allparts Japan will have a markup too and sell to Ishibashi at dealer price I assume. So it's really up to Ishibashi what price they put there. Please let us know if Allparts Japan will ship overseas.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:47 am

FireAarro wrote: Please let us know if Allparts Japan will ship overseas.
last time i checked they didn´t. they told me to contact my local allparts dealer, but they couldn´t help me. i also spoke to ishibashi about the allpartsjapan guards, but at the time they only had the fender japan ones.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:10 pm

FireAarro wrote: Actually, they have two models of JM pickguards. All the "No. 1" models seems to fit Japanese guitars- there is text underneath the JM pickguard that translates to "There is the compatibility of Fender Japan." using babelfish. And in their FAQ they have this:

"Q. Aged White P/G No.1 and No.2 (3PLY) please teach the difference of the screw hole. Adjusts
A. No.1 , to current FENDER JAPAN. No.2 (3PLY) , that type you took from those of 1963 make time of FENDER, is thing, but concerning the difference and the like with the individual difference whose that time is detailed pardon you ask."
This seems to be referencing a 3-ply aged white pickguard, not the aluminum pickguards which they mention later.  I haven't looked at the site though.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:45 pm

Yeah but under the No.1 JM gold guard it says "There is the compatibility of Fender Japan."

Yannic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Yannic » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:04 pm

So one cloud order a japanese gold guard from allparts japan? Or from Ishibashi? This opens up some options for me. I've been thinking about a gold guard for my CIJ jazzzmaster ever since de gold guards topic :D

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:29 am

Yannic wrote: So one cloud order a japanese gold guard from allparts japan? Or from Ishibashi? This opens up some options for me. I've been thinking about a gold guard for my CIJ jazzzmaster ever since de gold guards topic :D
as i said in my last post, allparts japan don´t ship outside of japan (they didn´t six months ago anyway) so you´ll have to go through another dealer, and even though ishibashi is listed as an allparts japan dealer, they couldn´t hook me up when i asked them to.
but if you want a fender japan gold guard, ishibashi has those.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:10 am

I asked Ishibashi and they didn't have any Fender Japan gold guards, this was a month ago or so. Some guy before said he got one of the last few too.

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:15 am

FireAarro wrote: I asked Ishibashi and they didn't have any Fender Japan gold guards, this was a month ago or so. Some guy before said he got one of the last few too.
That's me... When I bought mine three months ago, the guy at Ishibashi told me they had just a couple of them left at Fender Japan, and that after that batch was gone, they would only be available through special orders.