Squier CV "Used"/B-Stock

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Squier CV "Used"/B-Stock

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:24 am

I'm sure we've all seen these before, but specifically with the Squier CV line when there are factory mistakes they shave off some of the original serial number and stamp USED into the headstock. They get sold to a handful of third parties who (potentially) repair them and sell them for less money with no factory warranty. My Bass IV is like this and its just fine. I never noticed any issues, but then again i'm the type who will promptly cut a new nut, setup and re-do electronics on this sort of thing. It seems like more often they're okay. Here's an example of a CV Jaguar that looks like it only has finish issues:

https://reverb.com/item/80989983-squier ... coal-frost

Does anyone have real negative experience buying one of the used/b-stock Squiers? Like something unfixable or unforgiveable?
Instagram: thetonyballs

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier CV "Used"/B-Stock

Post by GilmourD » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:08 am

I've bought parts of CVs from Franklin Guitar Works on eBay and I've been really happy with what I've assembled from them.

bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier CV "Used"/B-Stock

Post by bessieboporbach » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:37 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:24 am
I'm sure we've all seen these before, but specifically with the Squier CV line when there are factory mistakes they shave off some of the original serial number and stamp USED into the headstock. They get sold to a handful of third parties who (potentially) repair them and sell them for less money with no factory warranty. My Bass IV is like this and its just fine. I never noticed any issues, but then again i'm the type who will promptly cut a new nut, setup and re-do electronics on this sort of thing. It seems like more often they're okay. Here's an example of a CV Jaguar that looks like it only has finish issues:

https://reverb.com/item/80989983-squier ... coal-frost

Does anyone have real negative experience buying one of the used/b-stock Squiers? Like something unfixable or unforgiveable?
Honestly they're probably a safer buy than the non-B-stock ones, because with these you know that someone at least inspected them.

Basically from the top to the bottom at FMIC, all they care about is how the instrument looks, and especially in the price range where the CV and Player lines are, since social media is the main driver of sales. So it's usually finish problems that get flagged off as b-stock, not problems with function. Those they rely on the customer to discover and report. You're probably fine.