NGD: New To Me (Again) Classic Player Jag

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
mikeehairdo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

NGD: New To Me (Again) Classic Player Jag

Post by mikeehairdo » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:36 am

Ahoy forumites!

I've been fighting with minor to moderate carpal/cubital tunnel syndrome for the last ~decade or thereabouts, and having spent that time playing guitar instead of addressing the issue is finally catching up to me. So I thought I'd best start being proactive with it, and decided it's time to dip back into the short scale world.

I've always liked Jaguars, and have owned a number of MiM (CP HH and CP Special) and MiJ/CiJ ones in the past that I'd foolishly sold for one reason or another and would inevitably regret. So, when this Jaguar came up in my local Kijiji listings, I jumped on it. I ended up swapping my rat-fucked DRRI for it. Great amp, love the form factor and the sound, but my AC30 always calls me back so it wasn't too much of a loss.

When I met the guy to make the exchange I was able to get a better look at the guitar. Turns out this was the same Classic Player Special I'd moved to help fund a AO Strat I was eying at the onset of the pandemic. It was in damn-near the same condition as when I sold it, save for one glaring addition that threw me off when I saw the ad. Some chucklehead added a (poorly done) fake US serial number to the back of the headstock. I dunno if someone just got insecure about the MiM logo or tried to pull a fast one on somebody, but it baffles me all the same. Either way, it's just as solid a guitar as I recall and the shorter scale is immensely more friendly to my junk hands than my full scale guitars.

So, what with the weird serial number and my crappy physiology, I don't think I'll be moving this guitar and as such I'm going to turn this into a mod platform. I've got a few ideas, and I know there are a wealth of mods that folks have already done. The only thing that really bothers me is the trem placement (surprise surprise), so I'm playing with the idea of stripping it, filling it, and converting it to more vintage-correct appointments in the future. Also considering getting a body from Great Lakes Custom Colours, but then we're dealing with a Ship of Theseus thing (which I'm not opposed to). First thing to be changed is the tort pickguard when I sit down to set it up this weekend. I still have the original mint guard from the first time I owned it, and just never got around to changing 3+ years ago.

So let me know what you guys think. What mods worked for you? What mods didn't? Am I crazy for getting a guitar with a hack serial number? Pictures below!

Rob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: New To Me (Again) Classic Player Jag

Post by Rob » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:15 am

Wow -- yeah, they barely even tried on that serial number -- you can still see most of the scratched out "MX." I don't have any mod advice for you, but I'm nevertheless always delighted to hear about an old guitar making its way back home. I've still got an eye out for for a couple long-lost loves, myself. Happy modding!

mikeehairdo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikeehairdo » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:22 am

Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:15 am
Wow -- yeah, they barely even tried on that serial number -- you can still see most of the scratched out "MX." I don't have any mod advice for you, but I'm nevertheless always delighted to hear about an old guitar making its way back home. I've still got an eye out for for a couple long-lost loves, myself. Happy modding!
Thanks! I'm looking forward to working on it!

And yeah the serial number is really shoddy. You can see where the wood is very noticeably darker around that decal too. And you can't make it out in the pictures, but it's waaay rough around the edge of the headstock, like, not even refinished. Just sanded to the wood. In any case, I guess it's not going anywhere now!

forestgreen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by forestgreen » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:11 pm

Yeah that looks great. If you're enjoying it I'd encourage you to leave it as is but some people find the mis-aligned radius of the bridge (12") to the neck (9.5") a nuisance. This is a fairly quick and easy remedy with a mustang bridge.

Another option is a custom control plate where you can drop-in a telecaster switch or a three way toggle.

mikeehairdo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikeehairdo » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:40 am

forestgreen wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:11 pm
Yeah that looks great. If you're enjoying it I'd encourage you to leave it as is but some people find the mis-aligned radius of the bridge (12") to the neck (9.5") a nuisance. This is a fairly quick and easy remedy with a mustang bridge.

Another option is a custom control plate where you can drop-in a telecaster switch or a three way toggle.
The bridge radius is something I’m noticing way more this time around, and it’s probably the first mod I’m going to do once I decide what I’m gonna do with the body. Thanks for the video recommendation, I’ll definitely be taking that into consideration. One of my big things is the behind-the-bridge sounds and the best way to get those to ring out. I find the knife-edge of the AOM saddle really lets those overtones pop, but the trem placement strangles them simultaneously.

The switch mod is in the cards too! I’m trying to become a bit more comfy with the traditional jag switching, and for the first time I’m finding the strangle switch genuinely useful. That being said, we’ll see how practical it is in practice/live.