Dark Brown Tortoiseshell Pick Guard

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Sfidadas
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Dark Brown Tortoiseshell Pick Guard

Post by Sfidadas » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:04 am

Hello,

I recently acquired a Johnny Marr Jaguar, and it's an incredible instrument! Mine is a 2012 model and has really yellowed over the years. To the point where I think the stock white pickguard looks strange against the pickup and body color. There are a lot of different shades of white going on. I've decided I'd love to put a tortoiseshell pickguard on it.

I love the color of the Tortoiseshell guard on my CIJ Mustang Bass. It's a really dark brown with orange highlights. There is no red in the Tortoiseshell at all, and I love how it looks. I wonder if anyone here knows of a company that makes one that is really dark brown with no red in it at all. I've looked into Spitfire pickguards. They look incredible but are a bit out of my price range. From what I understand, the CIJ & MIJ guards won't fit the Johnny Marr.

I've included some example photos of the tortoiseshell I'm after below.

Cheers!

DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Dark Brown Tortoiseshell Pick Guard

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:16 am

I think Lava pickguards are the what you're looking for.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:43 am

Sfidadas wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:04 am
Hello,

I recently acquired a Johnny Marr Jaguar, and it's an incredible instrument! Mine is a 2012 model and has really yellowed over the years. To the point where I think the stock white pickguard looks strange against the pickup and body color. There are a lot of different shades of white going on. I've decided I'd love to put a tortoiseshell pickguard on it.

I love the color of the Tortoiseshell guard on my CIJ Mustang Bass. It's a really dark brown with orange highlights. There is no red in the Tortoiseshell at all, and I love how it looks. I wonder if anyone here knows of a company that makes one that is really dark brown with no red in it at all. I've looked into Spitfire pickguards. They look incredible but are a bit out of my price range. From what I understand, the CIJ & MIJ guards won't fit the Johnny Marr.

I've included some example photos of the tortoiseshell I'm after below.

Cheers!

Maybe a surprising suggestion, but... Squier Classic Vibe Jag pickguard? It's exactly AVRI dimensions so it'll fit the Marrguar and they lean towards the dark brown.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:59 am

I wanted to point out that the new MIJ guitars (at least the 2023 models - more likely since 2020 or so) are US fit - but as I looked up the new-ish Traditional series (vintage white) - their pickguard is rather a dark red (like the CV Squier, if you ask me)

I have some guards (and material) from Earl Pilanz (UK, eBay) - and he offers a
Brown/Yellow Tortoise - maybe that‘s something to consider?

Edit: he also offers Dark Brown which looks great too!

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:59 pm

Here's my current brown celluloid tort.

Downsman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Downsman » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:32 am

Another vote for Earl Pilanz. Bought loads of pickguards from him over the years. And he'll send a pdf you can print full size to check if it will fit before ordering.

Can you post a pic of how yours looks right now? Have you thought about looking for different pickup covers, or aging the ones you have, rather than changing the pickguard if there are too many shades of white going on?