NGD - first Jaguar is a used parts-guar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
ThunderDan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

NGD - first Jaguar is a used parts-guar

Post by ThunderDan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:09 am

I picked up my first ever Jaguar, found it on local CL from a guy that sells/flips used guitars out of his house. He had it listed as "The body is a genuine stock 2018 MIM Fender Player HS Jaguar body and the neck is a genuine 2009 Japanese Jaguar neck." but I don't think the year on the neck is accurate, and its got some other 'upgrades'/choices by the previous owner outside of just the neck:

Tortoiseshell pickguard on a Player Series body seems different, I'm guessing that was custom aftermarket.

"Crafted in Japan" and Q number leads me to think the neck is actually from 2003-2004 era, not 2009. Not quite sure what the exact specs of the neck are, I'm guessing 7.25" radius and U-shape? It does feel a bit different than Strat type necks I've played, when I change strings I'll try using radius gauges to determine that better unless somebody knows off hand.

I do like the big Jaguar logo and deeper rosewood color on the CIJ neck vs the new Player necks, its got some wear and dings though, but for a 20 year old neck its not in the worst shape.

Personally I would have kept the vintage tuners but depending on how they bought the CIJ neck maybe they weren't included, the locking tuners are nice though and seem to have been installed well.

Aftermarket mustang style bridge/saddles, I'm guessing? Definitely not a Player Series setup though.

It came with this thing installed, but it got in the way of the tremolo arm so I removed it. I have since learned it is an oft hated jaguar accessory, so I guess I did the right thing. Going to try to learn the proper way to set the neck angle and bridge up.

I know the Player series HS config isn't a very traditional Jaguar, but after playing it for a couple days I rather like the stock pickups / sounds I get out of the guitar. For the used price of $550 in the year 2024, its a player, even if its not fully a player series.

I had intended on swapping out the pickguard and electronics for a more traditional Jaguar config but I'll probably keep this one mostly how it is and pick up a second more traditional Jaguar later. I always thought I was a Strat guy, but turns out I might be a Jaguar guy.

New to the forum and Jaguars so any tips, tricks, corrections would be welcome, thanks.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - first Jaguar is a used parts-guar

Post by MattK » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:42 pm

Looks good! You’ve got the fundamentals of the Jag experience there and it looks like good quality stuff. Agree about the tuners and the buzzstop but for 500 you’re doing very well.
You’re also right about the neck. I have a Jazzmaster from that era and the neck is a highlight, very likely a substantial upgrade from the original.
You might try some pickup upgrades but HS is a pretty good config on a Jag. I wonder if you can get it to take a standard rhythm circuit plate and pickguard - that circuit is pretty nice to have as an option. There should be a few around from the Squier models these days.

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:22 pm

I figured I'd chime in. For the price that you paid, I'd say it's a good deal. In my experience MIJ necks > MIM necks, which is not to knock MIM stuff.

On ebay there are pickguards made specifically for the "player" Jaguar, where you can install a rhythm control plate and a pickup switch plate, but keep the HSS set-up.

Only downside is that if you ever want to add a traditional rhythm circuit, you'd have to route that area a bit bigger. These bodies are only routed for a single switch!

My player jaguar has gone through a bunch of iterations, but here it is in its final form:

ThunderDan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ThunderDan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:25 pm

MattK wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:42 pm
Looks good! You’ve got the fundamentals of the Jag experience there and it looks like good quality stuff. Agree about the tuners and the buzzstop but for 500 you’re doing very well.
You’re also right about the neck. I have a Jazzmaster from that era and the neck is a highlight, very likely a substantial upgrade from the original.
You might try some pickup upgrades but HS is a pretty good config on a Jag. I wonder if you can get it to take a standard rhythm circuit plate and pickguard - that circuit is pretty nice to have as an option. There should be a few around from the Squier models these days.
Thanks! Adding a rhythm circuit could be an option for a future upgrade, but sounds like I would need to modify the body routing.

ThunderDan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ThunderDan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:26 pm

javier-san wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:22 pm
I figured I'd chime in. For the price that you paid, I'd say it's a good deal. In my experience MIJ necks > MIM necks, which is not to knock MIM stuff.

On ebay there are pickguards made specifically for the "player" Jaguar, where you can install a rhythm control plate and a pickup switch plate, but keep the HSS set-up.

Only downside is that if you ever want to add a traditional rhythm circuit, you'd have to route that area a bit bigger. These bodies are only routed for a single switch!

My player jaguar has gone through a bunch of iterations, but here it is in its final form:

Ok, good to know for future upgrade possibilities, thanks for the tip. Also, that's a great looking jaguar you have!

ThunderDan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ThunderDan » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:14 am

Changed the strings last night, put a set of .10s on, and noticed the neck doesn't seat properly in the neck pocket, its not flush against the back of the neck pocket at all so it looks like I'll have to fill and drill new holes for the neck.

Also confirmed the neck radius is 7.25", and the bridge installed is 9.5 haha, I'm going to order a Fender replacement bridge with proper radius.

Nothing too major, but it has now turned into a bit of a project.

ldp54002
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ldp54002 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:42 am

ThunderDan wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:14 am
Changed the strings last night, put a set of .10s on, and noticed the neck doesn't seat properly in the neck pocket, its not flush against the back of the neck pocket at all so it looks like I'll have to fill and drill new holes for the neck.
I had an experience some years ago that is the exact opposite of what you're seeing. I had an early 2010s MIJ Mustang neck (2012 if I remember correctly) that I wanted to build a parts guitar around. I bought a loaded Vintera I Mustang on eBay and found that the neck pocket was far too small to mount the neck. It would have taken some routing work for it to fit comfortably.

It was my understanding after speaking to others that had tried the same thing that MIJ neck heels and MIM bodies are a poor match, typically with the MIJ neck being too big. It's interesting that you're seeing the opposite.

Tiga
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Tiga » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:04 am

ThunderDan wrote:

Also confirmed the neck radius is 7.25", and the bridge installed is 9.5 haha, I'm going to order a Fender replacement bridge with proper radius.

Before you do I'd suggest checking your current scale length/intonation/saddle position. You just want to be sure that moving the neck won't create an issue intonating the guitar.

ThunderDan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ThunderDan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:41 am

Tiga wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:04 am
ThunderDan wrote:

Before you do I'd suggest checking your current scale length/intonation/saddle position. You just want to be sure that moving the neck won't create an issue intonating the guitar.
Indeed, that's actually the main motivating factor for fixing the neck mount, right now the intonation is flat across the board, and while I've adjusted the saddles way forward to help, its still off, so I was thinking if I could mount the neck all the way into the pocket I might be able to get better intonation.