I find it hard to get excited about guitar since switching to Bass - anything I'm missing?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I find it hard to get excited about guitar since switching to Bass - anything I'm missing?

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:41 am

Dollywitch wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:45 am
The Revstars honestly look great I just hate the lack of trem
Duesenberg Les Trem - B I N G O ! ! !

(Other non-invasive stop-tail tremolo systems may be available.)

tqi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

-

Post by tqi » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:35 am

-
Last edited by tqi on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

tqi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

-

Post by tqi » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:37 am

-
Last edited by tqi on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I find it hard to get excited about guitar since switching to Bass - anything I'm missing?

Post by Synchro » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:27 am

tqi wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:37 am
Synchro wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:36 pm

You might like one of these: Dunlop Jazztone 477 205
Not a bad shout, they do work well (I have a couple I picked up for testing years ago); but I prefer the way the Jazz III grip works. :)
I find the 205 useful for some things. It doesn’t claim to be anything more than a Jazz pick, but there’s a distinct point, and they are great for fast passages.
The artist formerly known as Synchro.

When Surf Guitar is outlawed, only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:58 am

tqi wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:35 am
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:41 am
Duesenberg Les Trem - B I N G O ! ! !

(Other non-invasive stop-tail tremolo systems may be available.)
Though to be clear, the Les Trem II *does* often require modification to the guitar. It's just that "swapping the tailpiece thimbles to ones 2mm taller" isn't really in any way detectable after switching back.

Les Trem II is cool, I like Les Trem II.
Context is everything - my comment referred to the conversation I was having with the (Les Paul-loving) OP about Yamaha Revstars. Not a thimble in sight.

RavenCrest
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RavenCrest » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:39 am

Reading the OP I couldn't help but recall my same experience back years ago.
I had a very similar evolution but now decades later, after a hiatus to raise 3 kids, I'm back to guitar so to speak.
I started out in Jr High (Middle school *shudder*) as my mom wanted me to play violin. I played that for the better part of a year, then got sMyuper bored. For some reason, even now to this day, I've had extreme difficulty in learning to read sheet music. Problem with rapidly identifying which line the dots were on so I decided to memorize progressions and fingerings with relative success. I had switched to viola, got bored. Then went to Cello, got bored. Then upright bass. Something struck a chord, maybe it was the size, but this proved impractical. Fortunately the school I attended had no shortage of instruments I could use, take home, and fiddle with (lol) With numerous arguments with my mom she finally allowed me to try guitar.
My orchestra teacher, who had infinite patience readily approved my class change.
So when I started with guitar, I quickly discovered that my pinky didn't really move the way it was supposed to and now as a middle aged goober, I found that my "problem" was attributed to not forcing myself to move the pinky the way it needs to move. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
3 months of daily guitar playing, memorizing chords and progressions and just getting frustrated, the teacher asked me if I wanted to try bass guitar.

Remembering how much I liked the upright, I was like sure! I took to that 4 string rather well. Significantly better than the 6 string guitar and I had an ear to pick out bass lines from my favorite albums. I earned enough money to get a 78 or 79 Fender J bass black with white guard, and I also found a beat up Fender bassman head with a basic 2-10 cabinet of unknown build. My local pawn shop always had some now very collectable Fenders, and I was always eager to fork over a couple hundred bucks at a time to get as many as they would let me put on layaway. I even found a fretless P bass so I could learn some pink floyd basslines. So from age 13 til 17, I'd lock myself in my room listening to CD's memorizing basslines from my favorite bands. Around that same timeframe, my dad, who was and still is a bit of a workaholic, unaware of my instrument ADD found me a 59/60 Jazzmaster and I would play that from time to time. I had a friend that also had a MIJ black strat with fender lace sensors and I had earned money to find a mid 60s silver face super twin that was loud enough to drown out pretty much anything. This lasted a few months until another friend needed a guitar and amp for a project. I had bought and sold and traded around everything I had, with the exception of the JM that my dad forbade me to sell or trade. *yea it got stolen later on* but I traded the Super Twin and the Lace sensor equipped strat for a G&L Lynx bass when I was 16 along with a Crate 100w head and a custom made cabinet with a single 15" speaker. A stack I'd own until I was 25 or so. I still have that bass to this day. I'll post pics of that later. So with that G&L I played in a number of small bands in SoFla and at the same time I was writing for a local zine covering the music scene and doing some studio work all between 17-19 yrs old. I even got a chance to fill in for the bassist in a house band on S. Beach at a place called The Stephen Talkhouse and the lead guitarist and lead singer were the son/nephew of Barry Gibb. Yea that one.
I got a chance to meet him and oddly enough his mother.

Anyway I played bass for a long time after leaving guitar and I had more fun being creative on bass. Now years later, I have a renewed interest in guitar and for the last year or so I've force myself to learn some favorites and I couldn't be happier knowing both. To be quite blunt I haven't even plugged in my bass for a few months and I kinda feel guilty about it.
Point being, play bass, play guitar, spend time with both. Your interest will wax and wane over time. Just don't get rid of the instruments you have. This is my biggest regret.

I would have a rad collection if I kept every instrument I ever obtained. Just so I can log it somewhere

Washburn Acoustic electric with florentine cutaway unk year.
89? Fender SSS MIJ Strat maple fingerboard with lace sensors, red blue and silver
77 Fender strat natural finish, 3 bolt neck, bullet truss rod maple fingerboard, hella heavy
59 Jazzmaster 2ts (some told me it was 3ts but maybe the red faded over time?) with original tweed case, borderline heavy relic by condition description
78/79 Fender Jazz bass black with white guard
85 Fender P bass fretless White with black guard
86 G&L Lynx in Viking blue (still have this one)
17 CP JM 3ts with SD antiquity 1's
23 FCS Blue floral JM

sorry for the long post. Just feeling nostalgic lol

tqi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

-

Post by tqi » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:06 am

-
Last edited by tqi on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:12 am

tqi wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:06 am
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:58 am
Context is everything - my comment referred to the conversation I was having with the (Les Paul-loving) OP about Yamaha Revstars. Not a thimble in sight.

I'm sorry? If there's no thimble there, what does the stopbar bolt into? We may perhaps be talking to cross-purposes here. I'm talking about the threaded part that the Les Trem bolts into, which often needs to be replaced in the conversion, because the stock ones are often flush fit, and the Les Trem needs them to sit proud. Bushing? Socket? Nut?
Apologies - the use of the word thimbles led me to believe you were talking about JM/Jag/Mustang type thimbles. Didn't realise that nomenclature extended to anything that drops into a circular route.

tqi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

-

Post by tqi » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:31 am

-

Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dollywitch » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:40 pm

Starting to feel Guitar again. Went through the three guitars I have, a cheap Harley Benton PRS Knock off, a Squier VM Jag and my Marauder. I was hoping to reignite a spark with the Maraduer, unfortunately it didn't happen. The neck is a bit too thin/flat and the triplebucker just sounds so plain for something so different. The neck pickup is great, if a bit shrill - the Jag pickups are less "complex" sounding but do somehow have more warmth. The Jaguar however I definitely loved picking up again. Still not as fun as bass, but a lot of fun.

Been looking at a bunch of guitars in similar price range - the Revelation RJT has come up again, as well as the similar looking Vintage Surfmaster - I'm really warming up to filter trons as an alternative of that Jazzmaster "big but chimey" vibe, though I do prefer having the strat trem(since I have an offset trem on my Jag). I've also considered P90 guitars, I really like the look of the Worn Green Epiphone SG, the sound is great too but it's very much that throaty aggressive sound that I'd use my Jag & a bit of a mid boost for.

I also like the vibe of the Sterling Mariposa - though it is on the more expensive end and I'd probably want to swap out the neck pickup.

(I really like green guitars)