Anyone else order a Staytrem lately?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone else order a Staytrem lately?

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:09 pm

Thx, guys for the info. Much appreciated.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

mikeyjames56
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mikeyjames56 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:26 am

A little update: I ordered a basic Staytrem bridge on November 10th, and got the invoice and notification of shipment after paying on Monday, February 12. I thought that the holiday season would add an extra few weeks but no, almost 3 months exactly.

Super excited to get this on my parts build, it'll likely be the nicest part of that whole thing.

eilrahc
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by eilrahc » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:47 am

mikeyjames56 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:26 am
A little update: I ordered a basic Staytrem bridge on November 10th, and got the invoice and notification of shipment after paying on Monday, February 12. I thought that the holiday season would add an extra few weeks but no, almost 3 months exactly.

Super excited to get this on my parts build, it'll likely be the nicest part of that whole thing.
I ordered one myself at the back end of November for my own parts guitar, so this is good to know. The build on which it's going is still in the process of being finished, so its arrival will hopefully coincide with it actually being completed.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:50 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:22 am
I’ve been on the fence about ordering one. I’ve always fixed my offset problems with Mustang bridges.
Is the Staytrem really that good of an improvement? Or would it not really be an upgrade, if I’m already using a perfectly good Mustang bridge?
I’m not turned off by the price or the wait, just the uncertainty of what I mentioned above.
What is it is different. I got my Staytrem to replace a Mastery. I'll start out by saying the Mastery is an excellent design and I love it on my Jaguar. But I found that when I put the Mastery on my Jazzmaster it really changed the tone from the stock bridge significantly. The Mastery made my JM bright. And I mean BRIGHT. On the bridge pickup I had to run the tone knob at about 4 to keep it from being piercing. I didn't want to go back to the stock bridge due to the problems inherent in them, but decided to try Staytrem. After living with my Staytrem for about 4 months now, I MUCH prefer the tone of it over the Mastery (again, on the JM). The excessive brightness was immediately cured (tone knob runs at about 8 on the bridge pickup now) and it just seems to have brought back that "Jazzmastery" sound. Mastery makes it brighter and adds sustain - which kind of makes it almost Telecaster-like. And that's cool, if you want that tone. I did not. Staytrem sounds more like the stock bridge but without all the weird problems they have.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:15 am

Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:50 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:22 am
I’ve been on the fence about ordering one. I’ve always fixed my offset problems with Mustang bridges.
Is the Staytrem really that good of an improvement? Or would it not really be an upgrade, if I’m already using a perfectly good Mustang bridge?
I’m not turned off by the price or the wait, just the uncertainty of what I mentioned above.
What is it is different. I got my Staytrem to replace a Mastery. I'll start out by saying the Mastery is an excellent design and I love it on my Jaguar. But I found that when I put the Mastery on my Jazzmaster it really changed the tone from the stock bridge significantly. The Mastery made my JM bright. And I mean BRIGHT. On the bridge pickup I had to run the tone knob at about 4 to keep it from being piercing. I didn't want to go back to the stock bridge due to the problems inherent in them, but decided to try Staytrem. After living with my Staytrem for about 4 months now, I MUCH prefer the tone of it over the Mastery (again, on the JM). The excessive brightness was immediately cured (tone knob runs at about 8 on the bridge pickup now) and it just seems to have brought back that "Jazzmastery" sound. Mastery makes it brighter and adds sustain - which kind of makes it almost Telecaster-like. And that's cool, if you want that tone. I did not. Staytrem sounds more like the stock bridge but without all the weird problems they have.
Thanks for the reply, ToastMan (and others)
I’ve made my mind up and will be ordering a Staytrem.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:26 am

just received notice that my StayTrem arm order from November is ready to ship. by coincidence i've also made it to the top of the King of Tone list. say what you will, StayTrem is faster ;)
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

mikeyjames56
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mikeyjames56 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:24 am

And just another update, I received my left-hand setup 9.5 radius bridge yesterday! So only about two weeks from notification of shipment to delivery at my mailbox.

First impressions: this is a solid piece! I almost feel the need to buy a nice JM to install it on. For now it'll go into my mostly Squier parts build.

The first thing I did was take some twine and check the string spacing at the fretboard edges with the bridge installed. The spacing was my biggest worry as I originally used one of those aftermarket adjustable Mustang bridges and the high and low Es were essentially unplayable. This bridge fixed that issue and while I was 99% sure it would anyway, it was great to have the visual confirmation.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:52 am

Does the Staytrem bridge include thimbles?

Nevermind- Just read that they don’t include thimbles.

guitarsammy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitarsammy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:22 am

I ordered on 12th December but still haven’t seen the follow-up email confirming it’s ready to ship / asking me to make the final payment, so it’s now been about 17 weeks. At this stage, I'm a little concerned it may have gone to a spam folder or something (I can’t see it in there, but mine are deleted after 30 days). Is 17 weeks + normal?

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:20 am

guitarsammy wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:22 am
I ordered on 12th December but still haven’t seen the follow-up email confirming it’s ready to ship / asking me to make the final payment, so it’s now been about 17 weeks. At this stage, I'm a little concerned it may have gone to a spam folder or something (I can’t see it in there, but mine are deleted after 30 days). Is 17 weeks + normal?
I received the invoice for my November 19th order of four arms on April 8th and they were dropped off with Royal Mail on the 10th.

In one of our emails John did say he was waiting for a replacement part for a machine he uses to make his stuff. I believe he's a one-person operation with a bazillion order waitlist, so I'm generally OK waiting since he also has a history of following through.

guitarsammy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitarsammy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:52 am

GilmourD wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:20 am
guitarsammy wrote:
I received the invoice for my November 19th order of four arms on April 8th and they were dropped off with Royal Mail on the 10th.

In one of our emails John did say he was waiting for a replacement part for a machine he uses to make his stuff. I believe he's a one-person operation with a bazillion order waitlist, so I'm generally OK waiting since he also has a history of following through.
Thanks! That’s really useful. I’m also totally fine to wait longer, just concerned I’d missed the email!

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:09 am

Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:50 pm
This is literally the best piece of constructive criticism I've read about the Mastery, ever. Actually helps clarify why I might love mine so much - it's paired with hot pickups in a Jag, ones that are known to compromise the treble quite a bit, so the brightness the bridge brings is probably one of the reasons I love it. If I had vintage pickups in there or in a JM it sounds like I'd hate it - one of the things I don't miss from all the Jags/Mustangs I've had is how piercing the stock bridge pickups are, and rolling back the tone knob never seemed to fix it without compromising other things.
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:49 pm

guitarsammy wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:52 am
GilmourD wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:20 am
guitarsammy wrote:

Thanks! That’s really useful. I’m also totally fine to wait longer, just concerned I’d missed the email!
You could also email him. He's always been helpful through email and responds pretty quickly.

DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:29 pm

Indeed. Two days ago I emailed John about the status of my order, having placed the order late December but not being in a hurry. He sent an invoice within the hour and shipped my order the same day. I think he initially simply overlooked my order and acted immediately when I asked about the status. No complaints here, glad he's out there making lovely products.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:31 pm

+4 for how responsive John has been over the years. He usually gets back with in a day or two. Due to the quality of his product and his reputation as it is - I can cut him some slack for being a One man rodeo on his delivery times.