Which Fender Jazzmasters come completely shielded?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Always-Ben
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Which Fender Jazzmasters come completely shielded?

Post by Always-Ben » Sat May 27, 2023 6:53 pm

Which series, both past and present, have shielding for both the pickguard and all of the body cavities? I happened to peek inside an AVII and it looks all it has is plates on the bottom of the cavities, which I don't want.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Which Fender Jazzmasters come completely shielded?

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat May 27, 2023 6:57 pm

Ymmv, but I would never let factory shielding be the deal breaker of a guitar purchase. A roll of copper tape from Lowe’s works wonders and any tech can shield a guitar for pretty cheap. Even cheaper if you do it yourself

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat May 27, 2023 7:40 pm

All the MIA "vintage reissue" offsets replicate the vintage use of brass plates in the base of the cavities. Which were not only for shielding, but also for distributing ground throughout in the guitar - in a way that can make modding more involved ...

The "modern" MIAs (eg American Professional jag/JM, Ultra JM) instead have shielding paint covering all the cavities. Most Squiers also have paint. A good way to check is to look at pics of Stratoshere parted out bodies, eg Squier Classic Vibe ...

MIM may be less likely to have shielding paint, but given that the shielding coat is often applied before the finish coat, it may be hard to tell for sure. This Am Performer appears to not be shielded ...

I haven't looked closely at pickguard shielding, but again Stratosphere's (loaded) pickguards will show you that.

Am Pro II JM ...

MIM Player JM ...

American Original 60s JM ....
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun May 28, 2023 6:20 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 6:57 pm
Ymmv, but I would never let factory shielding be the deal breaker of a guitar purchase. A roll of copper tape from Lowe’s works wonders and any tech can shield a guitar for pretty cheap. Even cheaper if you do it yourself
This. I have never in my life opened up a factory Fender or Gibson guitar and found adequate shielding, and I have owned a lot of Fenders and Gibsons.

On several of my Fenders with "shielding paint," I can't register continuity on my multimeter between two points in the cavity, and I can't find a contact point that would make it continuous with the guitar's ground connection.

The brass plates are the only ones that have done their job properly from the factory, but they don't cover the sides of the cavities.

All of the above is still far better than Gibson, which just leaves bare wood cavities in all their guitars because "fuck it, they have humbuckers, right?" It's not unusual for a stock Gibson with humbuckers to sound noisier in my room than any of my shielded Fenders.

I just add copper shielding tape to the cavities of my guitars. It's simple, it's easy, it doesn't give off fumes like the paint, and HF buzz is completely eliminated.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:36 pm

I think the first AV reissue 62 had ‘tubs’ that went up the side but it’s 20 years since I owned one. The 65 avri was just brass plates at the bottom because that’s what the originals had.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:09 pm

The tubs work well... that's the one thing I don't feel any need to upgrade.

The shielding paint that Fender uses is worthless.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:18 pm

I copper tape almost every single guitar that passes though my possession. Always works well, is cheap and easy and totally reversible.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by preservation » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:22 pm

JSett wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:18 pm
I copper tape almost every single guitar that passes though my possession. Always works well, is cheap and easy and totally reversible.
Bingo!