What string gauges would give tension parity between a JM, Jag and a Strat

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Marc
Expat
Expat

What string gauges would give tension parity between a JM, Jag and a Strat

Post by Marc » Mon May 22, 2023 11:16 am

If the JM was the benchmark tension wise would you say 11s on a Jag and 9.5 hybrid set on a Strat to get them about the same?

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What string gauges would give tension parity between a JM, Jag and a Strat

Post by GilmourD » Mon May 22, 2023 11:32 am

A Strat and a Jazzmaster are both the same scale length but I would guess that the length of string between the bridge and trem gives things a looser feel. I unfortunately have not gotten to play a Jazzmaster that I have done the setup for, so I'm not 100% positive. It's gonna be a while before I dial mine in as I still have to sand and paint the body. :D

I can say that a properly set up Jaguar with D'Addario 11s feels pretty close to my Strats with D'Addario 10s. I'm going to hazard a guess that the 10.5 set would probably get you in the ballpark for a Jazzmaster, if that's what you're looking for.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon May 22, 2023 12:02 pm

I found these to be about even across the spectrum:

11's Strat
12's JM
13's Jaguar/Mustang

...but I just use the same 12-54's on everything for the sake of simplicity.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon May 22, 2023 1:09 pm

I use 10-52 hybrid set on everything, including Jags and Mustangs.
I had 9s on a Mustang for a while. I really liked it, but eventually grew tired of how loose they were for anything other than lead playing.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon May 22, 2023 1:09 pm

Marc wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 11:16 am
If the JM was the benchmark tension wise would you say 11s on a Jag and 9.5 hybrid set on a Strat to get them about the same?
Sounds about right.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon May 22, 2023 1:11 pm

I've been quite happy with D'Addario EXL 115-110P 11|49s for years and use them for all of my guitars. I've only recently switched to D'Addario NYXL1149 Nickel Wound .011-.049 Medium for the extra durability. I have a Hallmark 65 Custom - apparently, they are notorious for breaking strings at the ball so these strings were recommended. 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

unreal77
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by unreal77 » Mon May 22, 2023 4:23 pm

.11's on all my offsets.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon May 22, 2023 7:06 pm

I've never understood the idea that two guitars with the same string gauge would have different tension. When you look at string tension charts, it always goes by scale length, string gauge and tuned pitch. Sure, different guitars will feel harder or easier to fret or bend on, but that's because of the million and one factors that influence the feel of a guitar (fret size, fretboard radius, neck thickness, neck profile, setup, brand and style of string, etc). The string tension will be the same.

If you play around with a string tension calculator, it shows that a 10 gauge string tuned to E4 on a 25.5" scale has about the same tension as a 10.5 gauge string tuned to E4 on a 24" scale.

So, stepping up one string gauge on a shortscale actually overshoots the tension a little bit. Jazzmasters, strats and telecasters all have the same tension.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue May 23, 2023 5:02 am

Embenny wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:06 pm
I've never understood the idea that two guitars with the same string gauge would have different tension. When you look at string tension charts, it always goes by scale length, string gauge and tuned pitch. Sure, different guitars will feel harder or easier to fret or bend on, but that's because of the million and one factors that influence the feel of a guitar (fret size, fretboard radius, neck thickness, neck profile, setup, brand and style of string, etc). The string tension will be the same.

If you play around with a string tension calculator, it shows that a 10 gauge string tuned to E4 on a 25.5" scale has about the same tension as a 10.5 gauge string tuned to E4 on a 24" scale.

So, stepping up one string gauge on a shortscale actually overshoots the tension a little bit. Jazzmasters, strats and telecasters all have the same tension.
Interesting. I’d like to try a 10.5 gauge set. Being in Newfoundland means I’d have to order sets. Odd stuff like that just doesn’t get stocked around here.
I miss living in Winnipeg. Lol

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Tue May 23, 2023 7:55 am

I wonder if neck tilt factors on the equation?

I also would venture speculate, that string construction (carbon steel content) might too, so string brands might vary a bit. The softer low carbon steel is more pliable, softer ....

These are hypothetical considerations. I do know, I may have to go to 12 flatwound on my MIM Jazzmaster. My usual 11s feel very light.

That calculator is very cool.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue May 23, 2023 8:19 am

String tension is entirely due to scale length, tuned frequency, and string mass per unit length (~ gauge squared). Known since at least Mersenne in the 1700s. So on a given tuned guitar, gauge is basically the only way to manipulate plain string tension*. But playing "feel" is additionally affected by string stiffness (how much finger force is required to change string length, in bending and fretting), which involves the full length of the string (ie including post-nut and post-saddle lengths), as well as the friction at those bearing points. String-saddle friction as we know is key to rocking bridge function, and is determined by string tension and string break angle - which determine the string downforce on the saddle - and anything else that affects the nature of the contact between string and saddle (eg saddle groove size and shape, string coating, [unwanted] lubrication). Finally, things like action affect feel by changing how far you have to push a string (with given tension and stiffness) to get it down onto the fret.

*plain strings are made from "music wire", a mechanical standard (ASTM-A228) with defined composition and mechanical properties. So except for some more expensive strings made with more exotic metals, string vendors all use music wire for regular plain strings ... and thus have no room to move on plain string tension except via gauge. Also, industry people have said that most string vendors get their drawn wire from the same small number of wire factories; which they then cut to length and ball-end (D'Addario OTOH draw their own wire because they bought a wire company). Wound strings are another matter, as many string manufacturers wrap their wound strings in-house, and can vary the ratio of core to wrap diameter (only the core bears tension in a wound string). So a same-gauge wound string can have lower tension if one manufacturer chooses to use a thinner core and thicker winding (which a few string manufacturers do).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue May 23, 2023 10:01 am

PapaB wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:55 am
I wonder if neck tilt factors on the equation?

I also would venture speculate, that string construction (carbon steel content) might too, so string brands might vary a bit. The softer low carbon steel is more pliable, softer ....

These are hypothetical considerations. I do know, I may have to go to 12 flatwound on my MIM Jazzmaster. My usual 11s feel very light.

That calculator is very cool.
I think there is a slight change in feel with the amount of string (stretchable) length that's between the bridge and trem versus, say, a Strat or Tele. Sure, the speaking length of the string under tension is the same from nut to saddle but there's more slack to stretch when you bend a string or whatnot.

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Tue May 23, 2023 10:11 am

I would think the vibrato would make the most difference in feel. I mean every time you fret or bend a string, you're tugging at the vibrato spring and it's going to give a little depending on the effective spring rate, unless it's totally decked. I have an Ibanez setup with only two light springs and it's crazy how much the bridge lifts.

I used to use 10.5s on Mustangs a lot, it's a good compromise to get not-heavy but not too-soft.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Tue May 23, 2023 8:25 pm

The tension of the speaking length of the string is down to scale length, string gauge and pitch, but there are other segments of the string, and each vector has its own contribution. A sharp break over the bridge, such as a Telecaster, will give a different feel than something more gradual, such as an Offset trem’.

As Tammy points out, a vibrato changes the resistance to bending. If you bend the G up a minor third, the trem’ will slacken slightly. A few years back, I used a circular mils chart and calculated the rough difference in expected tension. Basically, going from a 9-42 set to a 1-46 set would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7% more heft to the strings. If you go from a 24” scale to a 25.5” scale, the difference in tension would be 6.25%, so basically one full step greater in string gauge would be very close to the same tension on a 24” as on a 25.5”.

After decades of playing, mostly bridge cables, I’ve gone to fairly light strings on everything. The challenge is not bending strings inadvertently, but I’ve made peace with that, as well.
The artist formerly known as Synchro.

When Surf Guitar is outlawed, only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Wed May 24, 2023 1:46 pm

All these comments seem on point! What a terrific conversation. You all know your stuff. I am impressed. It's all good to hear and consider.

[As I type this I'm smiling, because what I'm about to say may not be entirely true, but i'd bet on it. Other forums (like the Led Paul guy and gals) are not having these kinds of conversations .... Lol. No offense to LPs afficionados, I own one myself. 😆]
Last edited by PapaB on Wed May 24, 2023 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.