Which Mustang bridge?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
BaddAdvice
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Which Mustang bridge?

Post by BaddAdvice » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:38 am

Hey gang,

Just picked up a used Vintera 60s JM and am pretty stoked about it. As I can never just leave well enough alone, I'm looking to maybe replacing the stock bridge with a Mustang one. Radius is 7.25 on the JM - is there a drop in Mustang bridge that will work with the same/correct string spacing? I would love to pop in a Mastery, but think it would change the "vintage" look too much, so looking for a more "classic" solution.

TIA!

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Which Mustang bridge?

Post by GreenKnee » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:49 am

These 2 are your best options:

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/parts/elec ... l?rdl=true

https://www.staytrem.com/store/staytrem ... jazzmaster

But if you look up 7.25" Mustang bridge then some very affordable options come up that shall do the trick also.

Happy modding :)

BaddAdvice
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BaddAdvice » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:55 am

GreenKnee wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:49 am
These 2 are your best options:

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/parts/elec ... l?rdl=true

https://www.staytrem.com/store/staytrem ... jazzmaster

But if you look up 7.25" Mustang bridge then some very affordable options come up that shall do the trick also.

Happy modding :)
Many thanks! I'd love to grab a Staytrem, but the lead time (currently 26 weeks!), plus the fact that I'm in the States, makes it a little more of a challenge. I may have to try that Johnny Marr bridge (the one you linked above), but not 100% sure it'll drop in - I've read a couple times where it won't fit the Vintera series - not sure if they mean the Vintera Jags or the JMs or both. I suppose I could just bite the bullet and try one out.

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:28 pm

BaddAdvice wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:55 am
Many thanks! I'd love to grab a Staytrem, but the lead time (currently 26 weeks!), plus the fact that I'm in the States, makes it a little more of a challenge. I may have to try that Johnny Marr bridge (the one you linked above), but not 100% sure it'll drop in - I've read a couple times where it won't fit the Vintera series - not sure if they mean the Vintera Jags or the JMs or both. I suppose I could just bite the bullet and try one out.
Can't really help you with the lead time issue for Staytrem, I bought mine when the wait time was 12 weeks and it took me the entire time. However I've heard other people say that the lead time is more of a worst case example and they got theirs much sooner. I can say as someone also from the states that once I did order it shipping was no problem, only 10 bucks and arrived quickly.

Johnny Alien
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnny Alien » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:14 pm

The Staytrem lead time is not exaggerated. I am finally getting mine that I ordered at the beginning of December (the lead time was posted at just under 20 weeks at that time).

That aside if the wait isn't a problem the shipping is cheap and fairly quick.

Kyon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kyon » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:56 pm

is your a vintera a modified with a tuneomatic because I've found the AM Pro always drop in on the non modified vintage standard fine

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:30 pm

As I suggested over on TGP, you could email Riley to confirm that their statement on the Marr 7.25" Mustang-style bridge page - that it "Does not fit Vintera series models" - applies only the TOM-equipped Vintera Modified.
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-ja ... 712971049/

It's also confusing that Fender now refers to that Marr bridge as an "American Professional" bridge, despite the fact that it has never been on an Am Pro series guitar (which so far have all had the 9.5" Mustang-style bridge ... that was the only one called an "American Professional" bridge by Fender until recently).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

TheCappy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TheCappy » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:49 am

7.25”? Get the fender Marr bridge or whatever it’s called now. I put them in all my 7.25”. Had to drill out a 2015 MiM roadworn and a 2022 MIJ for the American thimbles but that’s not a big deal. The ID mim were to small and the mij to big. But both OD we smaller than the US version.

BaddAdvice
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BaddAdvice » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:33 am

Thanks all. In a fit of late night shopping, I ended up going with a Mastery. Just came in today, so will probably get around to installing it this weekend. Now the question is, to shim or not to shim!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:28 pm

BaddAdvice wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:33 am
Thanks all. In a fit of late night shopping, I ended up going with a Mastery. Just came in today, so will probably get around to installing it this weekend. Now the question is, to shim or not to shim!
The fixed Mastery bridge relies on the opposite physics to the rocking bridge. Because the strings must slide over the saddles with trem use with a fixed bridge, you want low string-saddle friction. So, low string downforce on the saddles. Which means lower string break angle and/or string gauge (string tension). The former means lower neck angle (which leads to a lower bridge), so ... less shim.

So the starting point with a Mastery should usually be no shim.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

BaddAdvice
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BaddAdvice » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:08 am

timtam wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:28 pm
BaddAdvice wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:33 am
The fixed Mastery bridge relies on the opposite physics to the rocking bridge. Because the strings must slide over the saddles with trem use with a fixed bridge, you want low string-saddle friction. So, low string downforce on the saddles. Which means lower string break angle and/or string gauge (string tension). The former means lower neck angle (which leads to a lower bridge), so ... less shim.

So the starting point with a Mastery should usually be no shim.
Very good to know - thanks for the explanation. I'm awaiting a new set of PU covers, so will button everything up when those come in. I will go shim-less at initial setup to see how things fare!

BaddAdvice
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BaddAdvice » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:41 am

Well, installed the Mastery, but fudged up one of the thimbles, so the bridge didn't slip in as well as it should which buggered up the setup quite a bit. I was pretty bummed as the stock config was just fine, but I felt the need to mod! So, replacement thimbles on order and I'll try again. Sheesh.

Also, I had to re-solder the PU connects as they wiggled loose as I was checking things out under the hood. I'm not sure, but I think the rhythm circuit and neck PU wiring was routed under the neck PU? I might have been seeing things, but I'm pretty sure that's what was going on. That seemed strange to me. So, had to a do a little re-routing.

Anyway, hopefully once I get the Mastery properly installed, I'll be able to get things set up correctly. If not, I'll consider either picking up a Mustang bridge as originally pondered, or throwing in the towel and putting the stock bridge back in!

distressed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by distressed » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:47 am

Heh

I picked up cheap Squier 40th Anniversary JM OW Gold a month ago, and put myself on the waiting list for Staytrem, before setup. It turned out that the stock Mustang bridge works like a charm after a good setup, it is rock solid and stays in tune even with really heavy divebombing.

At least I can sell Staytrem for a good amount when it arrives.
Roza
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_imQDC4eUOjuBBRl2mBwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyQgllCIpqY
https://rozaliftwave.bandcamp.com/

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:14 am

distressed wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:47 am
Heh

I picked up cheap Squier 40th Anniversary JM OW Gold a month ago, and put myself on the waiting list for Staytrem, before setup. It turned out that the stock Mustang bridge works like a charm after a good setup, it is rock solid and stays in tune even with really heavy divebombing.

At least I can sell Staytrem for a good amount when it arrives.
If you don't need the staytrem you can just email John and cancel the order.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:56 pm

BaddAdvice wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:41 am
Well, installed the Mastery, but fudged up one of the thimbles, so the bridge didn't slip in as well as it should which buggered up the setup quite a bit. I was pretty bummed as the stock config was just fine, but I felt the need to mod! So, replacement thimbles on order and I'll try again. Sheesh.
I'm unsure what could have possibly happened here to require replacement of the thimbles.

STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO INSTALLING YOUR MASTERY BRIDGE

Did you follow the instructions, specifically step 2?
Using the medium size Allen wrench, slightly loosen the mounting post screws
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.