Current Japanese Fender Jazzmasters

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Current Japanese Fender Jazzmasters

Post by sal paradise » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 am

qb748 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:28 am
you guy seem to know alot about necks.

I'm new to doing anything to a guitar... aside from stringing it, or burning it with cigarettes. :D

Seriously though. I have a '95 MIJ Jazzmaster... i think it was the sh1tt13st year for MIJ stuff... I really remember that being my luck.

I am stripping it and replacing EVERYTHING except the pickguard and MAYBE a knob.

As far as a replacement neck...I swore I had found somewhere that I need to be careful and my serial number is important to nailing down a compatible neck.

Do you guys have any experience with this?

Thanks alot!! ;D
I had a ‘95 Jag. The neck was really nice. Pickups were awful, so I sold it. Should have just swapped them. I miss that Jag.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Funkybot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Funkybot » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:41 am

NDL wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:14 am
Interesting. Is the neck that big? What neck profile do you prefer. I don‘t have the biggest hands neither. And what‘s your opinion of the guitar besides the neck?
The neck is the chunkiest I have outside of maybe a vintage guild acoustic and I have a something like 13-14 electric guitars (after a certain point, why even count). It's not wildly uncomfortable though, I think the rounder fingerboard radius helps in that regard. I've got a 2003 MIM '72 Telecaster Deluxe with a somewhat thinner neck, but 12" radius, and that neck is way more uncomfortable for me due to the combination of thickness and the flatter fingerboard. But the chunky U-shape of the Traditional 60s Jazzmaster is next-worst.

What do I think of the guitar otherwise? Really nice. I think MIJ Fender's have been consistently really-well made even as Fender US has been inconsistent with better periods than others. You may get some non-American standard pots and other parts, but you're not going to get a guitar with QC issues from my experience. And the newer ones look like they use American tremolo's (someone correct that if I'm wrong) whereas the older ones did not.

Keep in mind, I'm 5' 3" tall. So very short. With hands to match. Short little sausage fingers here.

NDL
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NDL » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:01 pm

Thanks for your detailed review. I also have this Tele deluxe. It has not my favorite neck, but it‘s okay. I think it is a vintage c, but feels totally different than my jazzmaster vintage c neck which is perfect for me. And I don‘t need something much thicker. So I am very thankful for your information.

qb748
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by qb748 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:59 am

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 am
qb748 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:28 am
you guy seem to know alot about necks.

I'm new to doing anything to a guitar... aside from stringing it, or burning it with cigarettes. :D

Seriously though. I have a '95 MIJ Jazzmaster... i think it was the sh1tt13st year for MIJ stuff... I really remember that being my luck.

I am stripping it and replacing EVERYTHING except the pickguard and MAYBE a knob.

As far as a replacement neck...I swore I had found somewhere that I need to be careful and my serial number is important to nailing down a compatible neck.

Do you guys have any experience with this?

Thanks alot!! ;D
I had a ‘95 Jag. The neck was really nice. Pickups were awful, so I sold it. Should have just swapped them. I miss that Jag.

Are you experienced with the technical side of things?.. re: that 95 JM?

What kind of stuff have you worked on?

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:51 am

Gotta chime in... I love my MIJ Traditional 60s JM and would not hesitate to buy again. The fit and finish is top notch and the neck is one of my favorites. I am short enough to have been lying about my height for most of my life lol. I would not consider the neck a chunky baseball bat like a 50s-style Tele or Gibson neck, but it is definitely full compared to most modern Fenders, but it still feels thinner overall than my Johnny Marr Jaguar neck which is thinner in the lower frets and thicker in the upper frets. The thin nut probably helps. The U-shape neck carve is not for everyone and maybe not common for a JM, but I like having a variety of neck shapes. Rickenbackers have a thicker U, and I think some Gretsches have a thinner U.

Here are some measurements in case it helps, and some comparisons that you might be able to find more readily if you're in the US. Also check Mike and Mike's Guitar Bar sold listings on Reverb to get a sense of the range of measurements for this series.

MIJ Traditional 60s JM neck (no B&B, U-shape, 9.5" radius)
-width: nut 1.61", 12th 2.03"
-thickness: 1st 0.90", 12th 0.95"

MIM Troy Van Leeuwen JM neck (B&B, C-shape, 7.25" radius)
-width: nut 1.66", 12th 2.04"
-thickness: 1st .089", 12th 0.95"

MIA Johnny Marr Jaguar neck (no B&B, "modified 60s C" or "Custom Shape Based on Johnny's '65 Jaguar," 7.25" radius)
-width: nut 1.63", 12th 2.00"
-thickness: 1st 0.85", 12th 1.01"

Good luck in your search!

NDL
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NDL » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:01 am

Thank you Sciuri that is very helpful. Do you own the Troy van Leeuwen as well? If yes, how does the traditional 60s compare to the TVL? The TVL model seems very interesting for me, too.

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:18 pm

NDL wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:01 am
Thank you Sciuri that is very helpful. Do you own the Troy van Leeuwen as well? If yes, how does the traditional 60s compare to the TVL? The TVL model seems very interesting for me, too.
Hopefully this info gets you closer to where you’re going! I only have a TVL neck so can’t speak to the TVL model guitar. The TVL neck I’d rate as a 7.5 of 10, even after getting the fret ends cleaned up, which I think you can only do so much of with binding, and I’m content with it as it is part of my first offset. The MIJ neck I’d rate as a 9 of 10, and it arrived with perfect fretwork and buttery smooth fretboard edges. If it were a C instead of a U shape, I’d rate it a 10 of 10, and I’m perfectly happy with the U anyways.

A lot of other folks here speak very highly of the TVL model… I think there’s a long thread if you do a search. The electronics are thoughtfully done. The pure vintage 65 pickups, which are also on my JM, are great. Coming stock with an AmPro/Mustang style bridge is great. Oxblood is a great color, especially in person.

NDL
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NDL » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:09 am

You didn’t like the pickups which came with the traditional? How are the electronis and hardware ?

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:44 am

NDL wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:09 am
You didn’t like the pickups which came with the traditional? How are the electronis and hardware ?
I have a CME Player JM, which has the PV65 pickups, with a TVL neck refinished with a black headstock. The NGD thread is here if you're interested.

I'm not sure about the other MIJ series, but for the more recent MIJ Traditional 60s series, the one knock on them is the pickups. The pickups are V-Mod 1 JM pickups which are not real JM pickups and are closer in construction to Strat pickups. I intended to change them, but after more than a year I've kept them stock if that indicates anything. The electronics are CTS and Switchcraft. The hardware is fine, but I prefer Staytrem bridges and collets for all my offsets. On mine, the MIJ tremolo's spring is a little squishier than the AVRI tremolo but both work just fine for me.

I think you can't go wrong, but if you don't want to do any mods whatsoever or this is your first JM (and should really experience legit JM pickups), then maybe the TVL is a good option out of the box.

NDL
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NDL » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:37 am

Interesting, because I have the same CME Player Jazzmaster and a Vintera (not the MOD). The Vintera feels and sounds much better than the CME. The CME sounds very thin and bright. Sustain is not existing. Only jangle, but Iack of this nice JM beef. So I am looking for a replacement for the CME player.

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:01 am

NDL wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:37 am
Interesting, because I have the same CME Player Jazzmaster and a Vintera (not the MOD). The Vintera feels and sounds much better than the CME. The CME sounds very thin and bright. Sustain is not existing. Only jangle, but Iack of this nice JM beef. So I am looking for a replacement for the CME player.
Interesting, sounds like you have plenty of experience with JMs. A good set up might help, as well as trying different bridges. I like Staytrem way more than the traditional JM bridge. I like bright sounds and have even thought about switching to 1meg pots (stock are 500k), but I wouldn't say mine sounds thin, though a lot of people feel JM bridge pickups are too thin sounding for them. I don't know much about the Vintera pickups, but I think of the CME model as basically using Vintera parts.

If you're definitely replacing the CME and already have a Vintera, I think getting another MIM JM, even a TVL, might be kind of a lateral move. I'd recommend trying an MIA or MIJ JM instead, but I like variety.

NDL
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NDL » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:07 am

I have a set-up done by a luthier and a staytrem on the CME. So it's a nice guitar. I like the pickups and the electronics are very good. But it is not my guitar, because of the very bright and thin tone. No problem when playing at home, but in a band context it's getting shrill. How is your traditional in comparison to the CME tonewise?

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:02 am

I can't really give you apples to apples. The MIJ has 1meg pots which are brighter, but V-mod pickups which are more mid-rangy but thicker, and I have flatwounds on my MIJ.

I'm sure others here can give you better advice about what to do if your setup sounds shrill! I'm not a JM pickup guru by any means.
Last edited by sciuri on Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheCappy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TheCappy » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:05 am

Still say look around for the Inoran sig. Between the PV ‘65 pickups, alder body and the ‘59 neck you’ll be set. Can always sell the pickups once you decide on replacements and will probably make a bit back.

jonathanrichman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonathanrichman » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:34 am

Just wanted to chime in, that I have both the Heritage 60s and FSR B&B Traditional 60s Jazzmaster. Both are 2 of the best modern examples of Fender guitars I've ever played.

The Heritage 60s seem to be rapidly increasing in price and are an all nitro model. The Mary Kaye finish is gorgeous and despite being all nitro, has been polished to a glass perfect sheen - unlike some of the AVRIs Ive owned which had this kind of powdery quality when touched. A look under the hood reveals high quality electronics from CTS and Switchcraft though the rhythm section mini pots are only stamped "made in korea" on the bottom and don't look the same as the import pots the MIJ/CIJs have historically been equipped with. I had an initial false impression (at least I think?) that the Black Bobbin pickups were just AVRI 62s - however they do not have the beveled polepieces - and actually have much more character, dimension and a wonderful vintage airiness to them than either the 62s or the AV/PV65s. The neck pickup has a woody tonality that I've only really ever heard in Peter Leonard's, Antiquity Is and also Sunday Handwounds "Woodies" pickups. The wiring are also all cloth covered leads - although not vintage correct colors as seen in Fender USA builds. No shielding tubs or plates but are shielded in paint - and paired with the anodized aluminum pickguard - make for one of the quietest true single coil iazzmasters I've ever picked up.

It came setup from the factory so well, I left the stock bridge in for like 2 weeks. (That's literally never happened with any of my other jazzys with stock bridge) I eventually upgraded with a marr bridge and avri tremolo, making an already great guitar even better. There are those who say the neck on these feels chunkier, but that doesn't quite describe my experience. As others have said, the U designation by Fender Japan is not the same profile as the U shape described by Fender USA. And because of the slightly slimmer, vintage correct for the early 60s nut width, and the nicely rolled off edges, the bigger shoulders are almost negligible - and at least for my hands - making for a comfortable c shape that fills the hand perfectly. It's definitely not as chunky as say, a vintera 60s jazzmaster, which do feel thick in hand, and are comfortable enough - though I do end up feeling fatigue when playing for extended periods of time.

If you can track down one of the FSR Traditional 60s Jazzmasters in Piano Black - I've gotta say - it might be my favorite new production Jazzy EVER. I've owned everything from vintage 60s Fenders, MIM Vinteras to more premium MIM models like the TVL, and AVRIs 62 and 65, and while I def miss my 62 more than anything (especially given the prices for vintage refins now!) - this one is just a joy to play. The FSR B&B features an alder body unlike some of the other Trad 60s line and the fit and finish is immaculate and everything is just - I don't know how better to explain - than calling it rock solid! I can rip this thing up, and its stable as stable can be, rarely ever going out of tune and without a buzz despite the comfortably low action with 11s.

Under the hood is a similar affair to the Heritage 60s , in that it has all CTS and switchcraft electronics - save for again - the mini pots- which on this model have the correct slim shaft size as the brass shafted ones found in Fender USA - however there are no markings that tell me the make of them. There are also 2 more substantial differences - no cloth covered wiring - and these unfortunately come with V-Mod pickups, which may be fine for some - but I personally didn't jive with. I dropped in a set of Sunday Handwounds "Woodies" and the sounds coming from this are heavenly. I upgraded the bridge and trem with same USA hardware I did for the heritage, but I also modded the whole thing to have a more inoran look to it, with black plastics and gold guard bc I always dug this look on black jazzys and one place Fender Japan seems to still be severely behind in - is the tort department. Lol. They are still using those ugly printed red guards unfortunately - despite Fender Japan completely revamping their body and hardware manufacturing templates to align 1:1 to Fender USA (no more having to hunt down MIJ specific parts! Yay!)

Where this particular model really shines is the neck. Unlike the widely and wrongly published spec on these, I confirmed that this special run actually does have a 7.25" radius. The rosewood is nice and dark on mine - almost ebony, and despite the binding, the edges don't feel hard, nor can I feel any sharp fret ends - like I unfortunately did with my Ox Blood 2018 TVL. The neck, at least by my memory, feels identical to the necks from the CAR and OLW B&B jazzys from the late 2000s/early 2010s, although these have also been given a U neck shape designation. Be curious to know if anyone has one of those earlier models and this one - and can break out some calipers to really measure if there is indeed a difference. I'd say it does feel ever-so-slightly fuller in the hand than the TVL - but for me is more comfortable again, because the binding edge feels more rolled off, and I can set the action lower than on the TVL bc the fretwork is perfect.

Both of these also have angled neck pockets which nix the need for a shim as the bridges will sit from factory at a medium height, giving you a good break angle from bridge to trem ootb.

Overall, if what you're looking for is a real premium player with unrivaled attention to fit and finish - either of these fit the bill. Even if you paid at the higher end of what these go for, the fit and finish is consistent and you wont be hearing scathing reviews decrying Fender Japan's quality control, unlike some of the things coming out of the Fender USA factory according to some unhappy customer accounts.

If you keep an eye and set alerts on ebay - and can be more patient than I was - deals can def be had - and if you're like some of those lucky ducks who scored either of these for $1300 or below - you are getting a lot more in quality here craftsmanship wise than say - a new vintera (which are good guitars too! I still own one!)

But for sure, it'd def be a worthwhile wait to snag at a good price if you're in the market for a potential forever jazz. If you are okay with 9.5" radius, Id be willing to bet the rest of Fender Japan's standard Trad 60s line or even their Hybrid 60s - are just as impressive - especially if you're going to end up upgrading bridges and pickups anyway.