NGD! TVL build from parts

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Glumlord
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

NGD! TVL build from parts

Post by Glumlord » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:41 pm

I wasn’t sure if this should go in this forum or the Mods and Projects since it’s kind of both.
I’ve been wanting an Oxblood TVL ever since they were released, but never got around to getting one. Prices kept creeping up on them and since I knew I was going to put some mods into it right out of the gate it was put on the back burner.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I was browsing JM bodies on The Stratosphere and came across a TVL body with hardware and a TVL neck with tuners. Price was just about right so I grabbed em and considered it an early birthday present to myself. I had played one in a store a few times and although I loved the feel, I knew I was going to want to change the pickups anyway so the fact that it came without electronics was kind of perfect.

I decided to go with a SD Antiquity in the neck(I have a Antiquity II in the neck position of my telemaster and wanted something a little smoother for this build), and a Lollar Regal for JM in the bridge. Wiring harness is a 920D from Black Bobbin, the pickguard I found on Reverb is from an AO JM and included the shielding. I will eventually switch out the knobs for either witch hats or Jaguar knobs, but these tele style dome knobs that my tech had on hand don’t look too bad at all.

I am amazed at how well the Antiquity and the Regal balance with one another. They each have their own feel and sound, but switching back and forth is as balanced as I’ve ever heard two pickups sound. The middle position is clear, articulate, and warm.

So far I’m in love. I was sure I would be underwhelmed by the stock bridge and vibrato, but they sound and feel amazing. The entire guitar just rings like a bell with tons of sustain.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD! TVL build from parts

Post by Embenny » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:29 pm

Congrats, that looks amazing. Those Oxblood TVLs were something special. One of the only Fenders I've ever bought new. I parted with mine because of a trade offer I couldn't refuse, but I do miss it.

Dark tort looks great on them, but years ago a forumite posted theirs with a mint pickguard and it looked amazing too. Basically can't go wrong with that colour, anything within reason works so well.

The Tele knobs do look sharp, but I'd vote to witch hats. The way they pick up on the white of the binding, pickups, switch tip and pickguard edge on the Oxblood is *chef's kiss*
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Glumlord
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glumlord » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:56 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:29 pm
Congrats, that looks amazing. Those Oxblood TVLs were something special. One of the only Fenders I've ever bought new. I parted with mine because of a trade offer I couldn't refuse, but I do miss it.

Dark tort looks great on them, but years ago a forumite posted theirs with a mint pickguard and it looked amazing too. Basically can't go wrong with that colour, anything within reason works so well.

The Tele knobs do look sharp, but I'd vote to witch hats. The way they pick up on the white of the binding, pickups, switch tip and pickguard edge on the Oxblood is *chef's kiss*
I totally agree re: the witch hats. I will surely be ordering some fairly soon. I want to get some cream or parchment Jaguar knobs as well just to see what it looks like. I feel like they won’t work, but I need to try them since I have Jag knobs on every other guitar I use regularly. They just feel right to me.

Deciding what pickguard to get was actually a huge ordeal. That TVL with the mint pickguard made a real impact on me when I first saw it and i came very close to going that way. I was also considering a black anodized guard since I feel like that would look great.

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:18 am

That's a super lovely guitar!

I've been considering a TVL JM in Oxblood myself as I somehow don't have a JM or any model in Oxblood. Fender's palette has been boring for the longest time and it's put me off JMs entirely until now. But like you, I'd want to make mods to the TVL, which makes me hesitate. But darn, they're fine-looking.

The TVL seems to be a fantastic JM to me, but as a Mustang and Jag person I've no reference point for them. Appreciate it's custom under the pickguard and you're likely in a NGD haze, but you've had a plink about on them stock too - how does it compare to other Jazzmasters? Wondering whether this would be a good model to start a foray into JMs. At the moment, it's either this or a Squier that I'll gut because I just can't get past the drab colours of everything else out there.

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:05 am

dreamy pickup combo

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:43 am

ainm wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:18 am
how does it compare to other Jazzmasters? Wondering whether this would be a good model to start a foray into JMs. At the moment, it's either this or a Squier that I'll gut because I just can't get past the drab colours of everything else out there.
Mine was always kept stock. It sounds like a proper, traditional Jazzmaster. Its feel is entirely different from a Squier. Extremely solid, no QC issues, amazing fret work on mine, better bridge that will never need upgrading, etc.

It pretty much felt and sounded like a poly-finished version of my AV65. I cannot say the same for any Squier.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:58 pm

Beautiful!

That's always been my favorite JM color scheme.

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:10 am

Really great, Perfect pickup combo as well.

How I don't have one of these at this point is a mystery. I think like you I keep waiting for the right deal but they're only going up.

Glumlord
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glumlord » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:58 am

bubba899 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:10 am

How I don't have one of these at this point is a mystery. I think like you I keep waiting for the right deal but they're only going up.
Thanks so much. I wasn’t totally sure how I was going to like the pickup choice. I’ve never used a WRHB before, and as much as I love the SD Antiquities, I had no experience with the 50’s style JM pickup. It ended up being exactly what I was hoping for. Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut!

And yeah, I felt now was the time to jump on it. I remember back in 2007 when the Elvis Costello JM was available, I was working at a fender dealer and had the chance to get one at employee pricing(10% over dealer cost was the standard) and kept putting it off. They discontinued it in 2008 I believe, and I have regretted not getting one ever since. Good luck finding one for a decent price now, right?!

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:21 am

Glumlord wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:58 am
bubba899 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:10 am

Thanks so much. I wasn’t totally sure how I was going to like the pickup choice. I’ve never used a WRHB before, and as much as I love the SD Antiquities, I had no experience with the 50’s style JM pickup. It ended up being exactly what I was hoping for. Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut!

And yeah, I felt now was the time to jump on it. I remember back in 2007 when the Elvis Costello JM was available, I was working at a fender dealer and had the chance to get one at employee pricing(10% over dealer cost was the standard) and kept putting it off. They discontinued it in 2008 I believe, and I have regretted not getting one ever since. Good luck finding one for a decent price now, right?!
Absolutely. I had a really similar thing in 2009 when I worked at a shop that had both a Costello JM and a MIJ and I went with the MIJ because at the time I couldn't quite justify stretching to the Costello. I mean I'm glad I got the MIJ, played it live for over 10 years and sold on recently for a decent mark up to help with moving fees, but yeah, the joys of hindsight.

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:11 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:43 am
ainm wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:18 am
how does it compare to other Jazzmasters? Wondering whether this would be a good model to start a foray into JMs. At the moment, it's either this or a Squier that I'll gut because I just can't get past the drab colours of everything else out there.
Mine was always kept stock. It sounds like a proper, traditional Jazzmaster. Its feel is entirely different from a Squier. Extremely solid, no QC issues, amazing fret work on mine, better bridge that will never need upgrading, etc.

It pretty much felt and sounded like a poly-finished version of my AV65. I cannot say the same for any Squier.
Thanks. Really keen on a proper Jazzmaster, so that's good to hear. Loved the one I tried and just needed to be reassured that that I wasn't missing something obvious. I guess I'm late to the party on these with the price increases, but I can't see anything in the same ballpark at their current tag.