There's going to be an American Vintage 2 series apparently.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: There's going to be an American Vintage 2 series apparently.

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:06 pm

Guys, the thing we're all overlooking is that young, popular bands don't drive sales of $3000 instruments. You're correct about the 80's stuff coming back, however that's why you see Fender reissuing stuff like the Lead in bright colours - but that's a $1000 guitar. Same goes for the Player and Player Plus series. Also the Meteora. All within that more affordable "within reach" tier. I know when I was in my 20's an AVRI was completely out of reach for me and almost everyone I knew. If you got an American Standard you friggin made it.

Even when offsets were only moderately in resurgence 5 years ago, a mid-60's Jazzmaster or Jaguar was still sitting in the $4-5K range. "Affordable" by vintage market standards but not affordable for the common player. Now they're pushing $14K. Like I said, collectors realized there was some demand for them and that they'd been long overlooked. Plus a bunch of youtubers started banging the vintage offset drum as "incredible values" and then boom, that was end of that.

Mustangs aren't worth reissuing because you can still get a vintage one for not much more than what an AVii price point would be. Probably the same reason why you see very few Custom Shop Mustangs.

mastermorya
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mastermorya » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:11 pm

So I got one of these, and I couldn't be happier. I was very concerned about Mike Adams' review and all the extremely fair and relevant critiques he offered. But I ended up buying a like new used one from a legit guitar shop that had a very reasonable price with all the case candy etc. The photos looked good, and it worked out. The guitar is great. Sounds and plays amazing, legitimately the best Jazzmaster I've ever played. Neck is a slimmer mid 60's C I guess, dots and binding and inlays look great, no wiring issues, and the correct trem bar. Even the "vintage tall" frets are more vintage than tall compared to other "vintage tall" frets I've played, which great for me!

mixed_states
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mixed_states » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:33 am

Hi! Has anyone had a chance to see if the qc issues are common across the entire American vintage II series? Having read comments and reviews (and specs) of the 1966 jazzmaster, I think that an American original or an American professional II may be a better choice for me. But I really like the American vintage II 1972 telecaster thinline also, and I was wondering if it’s worth it.

andare
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andare » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:59 am

mastermorya wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:11 pm
So I got one of these, and I couldn't be happier. I was very concerned about Mike Adams' review and all the extremely fair and relevant critiques he offered. But I ended up buying a like new used one from a legit guitar shop that had a very reasonable price with all the case candy etc. The photos looked good, and it worked out. The guitar is great. Sounds and plays amazing, legitimately the best Jazzmaster I've ever played. Neck is a slimmer mid 60's C I guess, dots and binding and inlays look great, no wiring issues, and the correct trem bar. Even the "vintage tall" frets are more vintage than tall compared to other "vintage tall" frets I've played, which great for me!
What do you mean by correct trem bar?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:57 am

andare wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:59 am
mastermorya wrote:
They were shipping them with a too thick vibrato arm at first. It’s since been corrected. They made the same foul up with the AV65s at launch.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:03 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:57 am
andare wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:59 am
mastermorya wrote:
They were shipping them with a too thick vibrato arm at first. It’s since been corrected. They made the same foul up with the AV65s at launch.
Heyyyy, dont spoil the fun. Much better to make them read 47 pages of our jibber-jabber to find the answer :D
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:52 am

^I’ll remember that for next time! :D

mastermorya
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mastermorya » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:58 pm

My 66 AV II Jazzmaster has zero QC issues. Like, I may adjust the bridge at some point because the low E string is sitting a bit low. That's a set-up issue and not a big deal at all. I think/hope Mike Adams' video was a wake up call for Fender and the company made sure that any similarly shitty guitars were pulled off the shelf or something. I have played another 66 AVII JM off the rack at Guitar Center, and it was also basically flawless like the one I bought.

My advice: these are expensive-ass guitars, but generally really, really good. You can get a deal on them used if you poke around a bit and be patient.

Between the AV II and my Elvis Costello and my Lee Ranaldo, I feel like I've finally got all my Jazzmaster bases covered, which is a pretty weird feeling being obsessively into these guitars for over a decade, and having owned two others that I let go: AVRI, which was great, but EC checks all the same boxes and mayyyybe has better pickups, and a 1976, which was amazing, but the A neck on it was just too narrow for me. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have sold either when I did, if only because of how insane the prices for them are now, but oh well.

Beyer160
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beyer160 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:11 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
As a general FYI on the trem bar thing:

I just took delivery of an AVII Jazzmaster (came across an "open box" deal I couldn't resist), and sure enough it had the "bad" trem arm. I emailed Fender customer service four days ago, explaining that I owned six other Fender offsets so I knew the collet was tight, and asking for a replacement. No reply so far. In the end it's a $20 part but it'd be nice if they would be willing to fix their mistakes. I have an AVRI arm in it now.

On the plus side, they actually finished the frets on mine. The setup was borked, but I expect that and it was an "open box" to boot, so who knows what happened to it after it left the factory. Two minutes with an allen key set it right. It's a gorgeous guitar, plays beautifully and sounds great.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:54 pm

mixed_states wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:33 am
Hi! Has anyone had a chance to see if the qc issues are common across the entire American vintage II series? Having read comments and reviews (and specs) of the 1966 jazzmaster, I think that an American original or an American professional II may be a better choice for me. But I really like the American vintage II 1972 telecaster thinline also, and I was wondering if it’s worth it.
I played one yesterday and it was SOLID. I might get one.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

DavidG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DavidG » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:24 am

Beyer160 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:11 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:

I just took delivery of an AVII Jazzmaster (came across an "open box" deal I couldn't resist), and sure enough it had the "bad" trem arm. I emailed Fender customer service four days ago, explaining that I owned six other Fender offsets so I knew the collet was tight, and asking for a replacement. No reply so far. In the end it's a $20 part but it'd be nice if they would be willing to fix their mistakes. I have an AVRI arm in it now.

On the plus side, they actually finished the frets on mine. The setup was borked, but I expect that and it was an "open box" to boot, so who knows what happened to it after it left the factory. Two minutes with an allen key set it right. It's a gorgeous guitar, plays beautifully and sounds great.
When this happened to me I contacted the store where I bought it. They arranged a replacement for me via Fender.

Id say Fender will likely sort you out, its something they are clearly aware of.

Beyer160
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beyer160 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:09 pm

DavidG wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:24 am
Beyer160 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:11 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:

When this happened to me I contacted the store where I bought it. They arranged a replacement for me via Fender.

Id say Fender will likely sort you out, its something they are clearly aware of.
It's been about two weeks, so I figured they were blowing me off. Just minutes ago though (and on a Sunday!!!), I got confirmation they were sending a replacement. This is the second time I've had to contact Consumer Relations about a product issue, and they've taken care of it each time.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the guitar, but I'm really digging it. A B&B Jazzmaster with matching headstock in LPB has been my dream guitar for years, it was worth the wait. Funnily enough, my alternate favorite color is Dakota.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:18 pm

Beyer160 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:09 pm

A B&B Jazzmaster with matching headstock in LPB has been my dream guitar for years, it was worth the wait. Funnily enough, my alternate favorite color is Dakota.
Lucky you then! :)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:44 pm

I put a deposit down on one of these:

Sooooooo nice.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:49 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:44 pm
I put a deposit down on one of these:

Sooooooo nice.
GORGEOUS!!!!