There's going to be an American Vintage 2 series apparently.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: There's going to be an American Vintage 2 series apparently.

Post by F15hface » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:27 am

I vaguely remember reading an interview with Fender’s CEO where he said they were very surprised by how many people were asking for an AVRI II Jaguar, and that they had not planned to do one. It makes me think that if it does come out, it won’t be for another year at least. The Jazzmaster being almost the face of the series is promising, suggesting that it sells as well as any of the traditional flagship models. I don’t think a Jaguar would sell as well as any of the other guitars in the range, but can’t imagine they wouldn’t be profitable. Same with a mustang actually - give us AVRI II ‘64 mustangs and ‘69 competition mustangs!

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:35 am

Fuck that noise! Why do jags always get the jag? I don't see why we can't have the Marr and the AVRI II at the same time.

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:46 am

What a cruel thread - every time there’s a reply, I’m like a kid at Christmas peeping in to see if Santa has come. An AVII Jag would kill!

I echo the comment above too. A Mustang reissue would floor me with excitement. But why stop there? Think about it, Fender, all you’d need is take those ‘64 Mustang blanks, do a little less routing and churn out a different bridge and suddenly the AVII has come full circle.

Duo-Sonic II, anyone? (Probably just me).

Gav Haus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gav Haus » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:28 am

American Vintage Coronado ii would be great, now that we’ve moved into CBS reissues.
http://wearerichlist.com

Downsman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Downsman » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:51 am

While they're at it, I'm surprised a Mustang Bass hasn't joined the lineup. Mustang basses, and shortscales in general, have surged in popularity over the last 5 years or so. My JMJ is a fantastic bass, vintage spec and nitro, but not everyone likes a Road Worn finish.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:47 am

I'd love to see Fender do an AVRI Bass VI.

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:49 am

Played a couple of the JMs yesterday and I must say they were lovely. Very tempted. If only the red one had the ‘right’ headstock, though the blue one was fantastic and a good price…

Will the nitro top coat still check on these?

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:07 am

Gav Haus wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:28 am
American Vintage Coronado ii would be great, now that we’ve moved into CBS reissues.
An AV Coronado or Starcaster would be hard to resist! It's a bummer the MIC reissues were far from true to the original.

We know they can do it as the CS has done some masterbuilds...

"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:38 am

...and the Jaguar never came, huh?
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

fuzzy_man_peach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzy_man_peach » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:47 am

I think unless you have a new management that actually appreciates alternative design it’s just going to be strats, teles and the occasional jazzmaster!

I was hoping that Carlos Lopez would rise through the ranks and be able to influence the lower production runs so there’d be alternative designs at a reachable price point, I’ve long wanted a production run brawler or marauder that’s close to original spec, even a baritone tenor guitar would be amazing, it feels like squier are now the only true alternative to strats and teles! Just frustrating with what fender could be and what they currently are!

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:04 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:38 am
...and the Jaguar never came, huh?
Not yet, but if they never started the project until people expressed confusion, it might still be a little while.

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Fri May 03, 2024 2:27 am

I just came back from shooting a video that compares bunch of different jazzmasters: from JMJM classic vibe through my two 70s jazzmasters to an insanely expensive masterbuilt JM (this one) and for me and everyone in the room, the best "new" guitar was the AVRI II 1966 - it was so much better than the masterbuilt it was funny. It was just as good as the vintage ones, but with better build quality. The masterbuilt costs six times more than the AVRI II, but the AVRI was at least six times better guitar :) It's not that the masterbuild was a bad guitar, the build quality was perfect - it just sounded completely bland and boring, completely lacking the wiriness and musicality of the AVRI.
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri May 03, 2024 4:33 am

Kinx wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 2:27 am
I just came back from shooting a video that compares bunch of different jazzmasters: from JMJM classic vibe through my two 70s jazzmasters to an insanely expensive masterbuilt JM (this one) and for me and everyone in the room, the best "new" guitar was the AVRI II 1966 - it was so much better than the masterbuilt it was funny. It was just as good as the vintage ones, but with better build quality. The masterbuilt costs six times more than the AVRI II, but the AVRI was at least six times better guitar :) It's not that the masterbuild was a bad guitar, the build quality was perfect - it just sounded completely bland and boring, completely lacking the wiriness and musicality of the AVRI.
That's interesting...

Now, here's the GIANT caveat that I want to get out of the way: My experiences with the AVII JMs has been guitars hanging on the wall at my local Guitar Center, so very, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY far from ideal conditions. Also, my personal collection may contain unicorns. Scientifically, the sample set is small and the conditions have not been isolated.

I tried a LPB and a sunburst AVII recently and... I didn't feel very much of a difference between those and the Squier CV necks I have on my JMs. That kinda surprised me because this isn't my first rodeo with vintage reissues and I expected a bit more of a difference in neck shape but also finish feel.

Again, to note, I didn't try them back to back at the same exact time, but I spend enough time with my own guitars to have a pretty good sense of what they feel like.

My takeaway was that I very much didn't feel that difference in price between the AVII Jazzmaster and my mostly Squier Partsmasters. But again, did I test out dogs against what may be my unicorns?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri May 03, 2024 4:45 am

Kinx wrote:
You need to share this video!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Fri May 03, 2024 6:11 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:45 am
Kinx wrote:
You need to share this video!
I hope it's gonna be out soon! It will be in Czech language tho. Hopefully youtube automatic transcription & translation will work :)
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg