Did Fender Marketing Just Lose a JM Sale?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Delukin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Did Fender Marketing Just Lose a JM Sale?

Post by Delukin » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:25 am

I have a milestone birthday coming up and want to buy a new guitar to celebrate. I've played Teles for years and was thinking a JM would be a nice compliment to them. After reading/watching a ton of reviews, etc. it feels like the AO60 is the way to go to get the "true" JM experience.

My one concern is everything I've heard about the JM's bridge. There are enough conflicting reports about intonation issues, fret buzzing, and string slippage that I'm a little nervous. I definitely don't want to pay all that money for a guitar that will need to be modded right away in order to be playable.

But just when I had convinced myself that those issues are likely isolated and the chances are that a top-of-the line JM wouldn't be plagued by them, I happened to look closely at an image on the Fender site that showed the B string clearly not aligned on the saddle of the AO60s JM page. Now I'm completely flummoxed and need some guidance. Should I expect all JM's have bridge issues? What is the likelihood that I would need to swap out an AO65's bridge? Is there a model that has a better bridge than others? Do higher-gauge strings really solve the slippage problem?

Any info from those who know is much appreciated - because right now even though my heart is saying JM, my head is saying Strat!

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Did Fender Marketing Just Lose a JM Sale?

Post by GreenKnee » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:39 am

The American Original line has a neck pocket that is cut to tilt the neck back somewhat, negating the need for a shim. This when coupled with higher gauge strings (ideally 11s and above) cures the string hopping issue without any modifications.

The American Originals are great (if you can find one) and I don't think you'll be disappointed if you pick one up. I believe they ship with 10s or even 9s installed, so a string change and a setup to accommodate this is a must when you first get your hands on one, or I'm sure any reputable shop would carry this out for you.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:05 am

It’s a threaded saddle. Pick up the string and move it over.

A Mastery or Staytrem bridge will drop right into this guitar.

Not everyone loves the original-style bridge. This guitar comes with it for the same reason reissue Strats don’t come with 2 point trems, and reissue Teles still come with ashtray bridges to fit covers nobody ever uses. Love it or hate it it’s traditional.

Delukin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Delukin » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:13 am

This is very helpful. I do love the sounds that JMs produce and they just feel nice. What I'm hearing is with the right strings/setup/patience things should go smoothly. Not necessarily "wrong" just "different."

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:41 am

I have a traditional bridge on my JM. I haven’t needed to change it. I use 10-54 strings on it. Never had a string slip the threads, even when literally attempting to do so. I don’t know where that comes from.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:44 am

I played with the original bridge for fifteen years or so, it's all there was. It still didn't stop me from loving the Jazzmaster more than anything else, and it would be the last guitar I would ever get rid of.

You may fall in love with the Jazzmaster also, you may not, you may find the original bridge to be OK or you may replace it. There's only one way to know.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:00 am

Not sure if it's as much of an issue on newer models, but on my '94 MIJ the only real issue I had was the height screws backing out, which is easily solved with some Loctite Blue. Other than that, even with aggressive playing I never had them come off the saddle or anything.

marginwalker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marginwalker » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:14 am

You just need a proper setup and at least some 10 or 11 gauge strings to negate any issues with the bridge. My AV65 came with 12’s from the previous owner and it plays like a dream!

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:51 pm

You can always get an inexpensive Mustang Bridge.. Drops right in, no hassle.. Works great! No problems...

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:32 pm

graphtech saddles work a treat.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:53 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:51 pm
You can always get an inexpensive Mustang Bridge.. Drops right in, no hassle.. Works great! No problems...
Sort of. Most of the inexpensive Mustang bridges you find on ebay and such have a 7.25" saddle radius, I think. OP needs a bridge with a 9.5" radius for the AO60s Jazzmaster. The American Professional JM/Jag bridge is the one to get, and not exactly inexpensive.

https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-am ... 709942000/
May be cheaper elsewhere – I just went to where I knew it was in stock.

I have one on my AO60s JM and can confirm it works great.

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:15 pm

That's actually a popular setup for a certain playing style where you want a little extra room to avoid accidentally hitting the third string.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

superficial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by superficial » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:45 am

I'd been rocking a Squier JM (which has the mustang-style bridge) for a while which I upgraded to AO recently. I was expecting to replace the bridge having read all the internet chat. But the AO bridge is, for me at least, just fine. I haven't had strings slip, or intonation issues and you can set the height of each string individually (which you obviously can't do on the Mustang bridge, if that's a concern). Obviously YMMV if you're a heavy strummer etc but I reckon the extra break angle afforded by the set-back neck pocket probably negates 90% of bridge troubles.

That being said, the vintage bridge is definitely one of those vintage correct appointments that wouldn't be there on a modern-spec guitar. But then neither would the trem system or rhythm circuit, probably. At least it's very simple to change the bridge.

So yeah, don't assume that there's a problem with the AO bridge. Do assume that it'll need a good setup when you get it!

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:50 am

I've always preferred the stock American bridge. Give it a try before you decide to swap it out. I've tried the fancy aftermarket bridges, but I like the sound of the original bridge the best, as well as the ability to easily adjust the string spacing (and height) to my liking. I use 10/46 strings, and never have any problems.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:44 pm

sunburster wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:50 am
I've always preferred the stock American bridge. Give it a try before you decide to swap it out. I've tried the fancy aftermarket bridges, but I like the sound of the original bridge the best, as well as the ability to easily adjust the string spacing (and height) to my liking. I use 10/46 strings, and never have any problems.
Agreed with all of this, but with .011"-.050" string sets.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.