OSG World Cup Final

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.

OSG World Cup Final

Poll ended at Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:00 am

Maggieo's black Telestar
39%
smjenkins' brown Bass VI
61%

Total votes: 36

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

OSG World Cup Final

Post by Stephen_42 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:00 am

We're down to the final two in the OSG guitars-under-£500 World Cup. For the final, voting will be open for a full week to make sure as everyone gets a chance. We've not needed penalty shootouts so far, but in the event of a draw I'll cast the deciding vote (I don't vote in the polls themselves).

As this is a final, that means it's time for an unreasonable amount of build up looking at how they got this far. First up Maggieo's Telestar:

It took an early lead in Group B, before eventually being overtaken (by just one vote) by robroe's Bronco.

That was still enough to progress with 16 votes, eliminating crainlarich's Hofner and Sal Paradise's SG (picture link has since broken for the SG).

In the second round, it it's runner-up status guaranteed a tough draw. It was paired with ohm-men's Jazzmaster, but defeated the Group A winner 26-15:

On to the quarter finals, and an 18-11 victory over forum newbie gazer's Framus:

The semi finals pitted it against Mechanical Birds' Jazzblaster, where it prevailed 21-15:

Can it go one step further? Only one thing stands in its way: smjenkins' Squier Bass VI.

Despite strong opposition, it achieved one of the most comprehensive victories in the group stage, where it received more votes than liquitone's Jaguar Bass, snarf's Vox and 2groggy's "Screamcaster" combined:

A similarly comprehensive second round win saw it dispatch Lost In Autumn's sparkly 12 string 29-3:

In the quarter finals, it met robroe's Bronco, the only guitar to have faced both of our finalists. It was beaten 22-8, and here it is again:

Onto the semis, where it faced its closest poll to date against ThePearDream, but a second green Bronco was dispatched 20-14:

Right, without further ado, here are your finalists!

In the sparkly black corner, Maggieo's Telestar:

And in the brown corner, smjenkins' Squier Bass VI:

Good luck to both, and thank you all for another fun tournament!

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: OSG World Cup Final

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:47 am

That was fun indeed.

And two worthy opponents for the final!
The current votes depict the feeling I had mid-tournament... "well just give it to smjenkins" - but it's another five days... so everything can shift.

Maggio's Telestar grew on my during the tournament - but I still find the pickguard (or the lack of it) around the neck pickup very weird. But the finish is very nice!
(My former bandmate bought a 12 string Hodad around new year - and while it wasn't THAT sparkly - it sure would have looked great in stage light... but this we might never see now.)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:42 pm

I haven't voted in many of these threads, because they're all winners. So many cool guitars!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Congratulations smjenkins: OSG World Cup Champion!

Post by Stephen_42 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:33 am

Apologies for the belated announcement, I've been away at funerals and checking OSG less

But in happier news, congratulations to smjenkins! Undefeated throughout the contest, the brown refinished Squier Bass VI is our guitars-under-£500 world champion!

Thank you to everyone who entered a guitar and/or voted, it was another fun tournament.

I'll leave it a few months before the next one, but any suggestions for themes gladly accepted.

Once again, congrats to smjenkins!

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:42 pm

I want to say congrats to everyone who submitted a pic. There were some amazing entries. I was particularly worried about Doug's (ThePearDream) Bronco. That thing is so hot. Contests and events like this are part of what makes OSG so special.

And Stephen, thank you so much for running this contest (and the last one!). I love the way you summarize the rounds. Always makes me smile.

Here's a couple random ideas for future competitions:

Squiers
Anything from Japan
Partsmasters
Hardtails
Self-finished instruments

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:46 pm

smjenkins wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:42 pm

Squiers
Anything from Japan
Partsmasters
Hardtails
I was thinking custom designs (like things from Deed_Poll, Cross, or any of the fine folks who make amazing custom designs) might be really fun.

I would love the echo the sentiment of "thanks for putting these together". They are a lot of fun and usually make my day to see.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:16 am

smjenkins wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:42 pm
I want to say congrats to everyone who submitted a pic. There were some amazing entries. I was particularly worried about Doug's (ThePearDream) Bronco. That thing is so hot. Contests and events like this are part of what makes OSG so special.

And Stephen, thank you so much for running this contest (and the last one!). I love the way you summarize the rounds. Always makes me smile.

Squiers
Anything from Japan
Partsmasters
Hardtails
Ha ha thanks Mike. Don't cry for me though. I get to play that Bronco whenever I want.

Another thanks to Stephen for his hard work, running these.

a few ideas for future contests:
Partsmasters only
European vintage Offsets only
Asian vintage Offsets only
Original designs
Fenders in non-Fender colors
Color specific contests
Doug
@dpcannafax

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:18 am

Thank you all for the lovely comments!

"I love the way you summarize the rounds. Always makes me smile." - that in particular really made me smile!

I think the trick for a good theme is keeping it well defined, but broad enough to get a good number of entries. Colour-specific is one I hadn't considered before, but could work well!

Non-offset, non-Fender, all-stock, basses-only are some other ideas.

Another option I've been toying with is a tag-team format: everyone gets randomly paired with another user, and we vote for the best pairing.

Let me know if any of those sound good/bad.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:48 pm

12 STRING WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!

Mwahahahaha! :-[

:fp:

{+1 on the gratitude sentiment - it's a whole lot of fun, and a fresh look at some peeps' recurring favorites/forgotten treasures/wierd stuff!}

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:20 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:48 pm
12 STRING WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!
I was going to suggest this but I knew I didn't have to because you would. :)

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:54 am

Loved following this. Some gorgeous guitars went out in every round.

Ideas for future categories:
  • Reversed guitars. Righties set up as lefties, reverse headstocks, pickups angled opposite to stock direction - that sort of thing
  • Partscasters with body and neck pairings from different continents
  • Guitars with one knob and one pickup
  • Guitars with 4 switches or more that aren't Jags or Jazzes
  • Baritones
  • Ukuleles
  • 60's guitars from defunct companies