I'm in love with a bird.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I'm in love with a bird.

Post by Embenny » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:25 pm

A Guild S-200 T-bird, to be specific. And yes, it's a reverse offset, so feel free to argue about which section this belongs in. It's not non- offset, right? Glad we cleared that up 8).

So, this all started out as GAS for one of the reissues. But, they only came in black and sunburst. White, red, and blue were available on hardtail and/or P90 models, but I wanted the full model with the vibrato and Jaguar style wiring.

One day, I got this crazy idea in my head that this shape would look amazing in a sparkle finish. There are literally no photos out there of Thunderbirds in interesting finishes, though, so it was all up to my imagination.

On top of my obsession with sparkle finishes, I also have an obsession with bluebursts that started when I saw a G&L Comanche in the first Guitar Player magazine I bought as a 13 year-old.

Why are bluebursts so rare? They fucking rock.

So anyway, I give Stike at Rowyco a shout and then this happened.

The whole thing was a gamble. Because I'm in Canada, it only made financial sense to buy one from the US and have it sent straight to Stike. What it meant, though, was that I never got to play it before the refinish, and I knew that I'd never get my money back on it if I hated it.

Well, this gamble has paid off spectacularly well.

I love it. And not in the honeymoon sense - I've had it for around 6 months now. I posted about it when it was first on its way to me, but figured I'd make a new thread now that I've been playing it for a while.

Where has this guitar been all my life? It's possibly my ideal combination of specs.

A Jaguar was my first Offset, and my main guitar(s) for 20 years now. I loved the chrome, the switching, the shape, the scale length - everything.

More recently, I discovered how much I enjoy the Gibson scale length, though. Full-scale Fenders always feel a little big to me, but 24.75" Gibsons and even 25" PRS (boo, hiss) feel great.

Well, this guitar seems to take most of what I love about Jaguars and most of what I love about Gibsons, and mashes them up in a far more unique way than Jaguars with stop tails and humbuckers (of which I've owned several).

The switching is straight up Jaguar. Two extra chrome plates to house a darker rhythm circuit with volume and tone, and a brighter lead circuit with three on-off switches - even a high-pass capacitor in the exact same spot as the Jaguar's. The vibrato is a Hagstrom unit in roughly the same spot as a Jaguar's, too. The edges of the guitar are aggressively contoured which makes it as comfortable to play as a Jag, and it balances similarly on a strap.

The body is set-neck and everything is made of Mahogany though, like a Gibson. It's got two mini-humbuckers and (unfortunately?) a TOM, too. The blocks and binding are more Gibson-style, too, as is the 3x3 headstock.

But when you put that whole package together and play it, it's just so familiar feeling to me. Like a Jaguar and a Firebird had a baby.

And the finish. Stike nailed the blue sparkleburst I had in mind - I sent a few photos and asked for sort of a composite with some features of each. It's more saturated than a Pelham Blue but lighter than a Lake Placid, and he nailed the 2-tone fade to black I was hoping for.

We also decided to do the back of the neck in a matching burst and I'm so glad we did. Even while playing, you can see little moving glints of light from the sparkle behind the binding.

The only things I'm currently planning to change are one or both pickups - the bridge pickup is bright and jangly enough for me, but the neck pickup is sort of too much like a PAF, and I have my Flying V for that tone. I'm trying to cut down on guitar redundancy, so I'd like to get something unique for it. Oh, and it'll need something like a locking roller bridge, too.

The routs can fit Filtertrons, or if I get a new pickguard, Firebirds. That was my original plan - when I traded away my Firebird, I thought that I'd replace it by putting those pickups in this guitar whenever it was done.

I kinda dig the look of the stock pickups though, so I might see about opening them up and hiding the guts of a Firebird pickup in there. I also have two Filtertron-equipped guitars already, so despite how good I'm sure they'd sound, I'll probably go more into FB territory.

The labels explaining the controls are on the pickguard's protective plastic, so those will come off whenever I open it up for the pickup swap.

The thing that really runs through my mind as I play guitar, though, is that it's the first guitar that really felt like it was 100% "mine."

I don't know if it's because I've played Jags for 20 years, or because they've gotten so much more popular, but even my heavily-modded Jags feel like they're "just another Jaguar."

But this thing? Nobody plays Thunderbirds. Nobody talks about modding them. Nobody refinishes them. I know I sound like a special-snowflake hipster, but this thing is one of a kind, and I do get a kick out of that. And yet, with all its control plates and switches, it already feels like an old best friend.

With some Firebirds to lean into the whole "Fender meets Gibson" vibe, it's probably going to be my #1 for a long time.

Part of me is already wondering why I'm not planning out a second one in purple sparkleburst with single coils.

Oh wait. I think I already am.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I'm in love with a bird.

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:06 pm

Congrats & enjoy! Beautiful bird - love the blue sparkleburst! :?

Not too long ago, I was Gassin' for Guild guitars - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=122874 but got distracted with some other brands (as one does :wacko: ).

I'll probably circle back to them at some point. 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:16 pm

That looks fantastic!!!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:38 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:06 pm

Not too long ago, I was Gassin' for Guild guitars - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=122874 but got distracted with some other brands (as one does :wacko: ).

Nice. You should totally give them a shot! Although you might want to play them in person...I can't speak for all models, but this one definitely doesn't have what I'd call a "fat" neck. It is, however, a bit on the wider side, and for me, is super comfortable. But I know you like chunky necks - maybe the semi-hollows have a bigger neck carve?
beauzooka wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:16 pm
That looks fantastic!!!
Thank you kindly. I definitely have almost as much fun staring at it as I do playing it.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:53 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:38 pm
Surfysonic wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:06 pm

Nice. You should totally give them a shot! Although you might want to play them in person...I can't speak for all models, but this one definitely doesn't have what I'd call a "fat" neck. It is, however, a bit on the wider side, and for me, is super comfortable. But I know you like chunky necks - maybe the semi-hollows have a bigger neck carve?
Yeah, after some research, I found out that some of the models have fairly thin necks. Definitely will have to try before I buy at some point. 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:42 pm

Looks great. Just my style

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:02 pm

:-*
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:26 pm

That finish is absolutely to die for.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:05 am

this is amazing, cuz of the couple dozen guitars i've bought or traded,
i've always avoided Sparkle, Blue, and non-traditional Bursts.
(i am a bit of a Bird Man, though...)

but somehow, i feel like if i saw that on the wall in one of my local shops, i'd be all over it!

seriously, i'm glad to learn that this is your one-off custom,
now i don't have to hunt it down second hand over the next two years.

Bravo, enjoy!
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:29 am

that's simply magnificent.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:28 am

No kickstand?! :ph34r:
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:32 am

What a fun project.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RIORIO » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:04 am

Obsessed

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:04 am

Thanks, everyone. I had a feeling it might be to the taste of some folks here. I just needed to gush about it, I'm just so pleased with it, and it feels like the kind of guitar that only OSG folks would truly understand. Many people aren't in love with the shape. Many people lack the appreciation for insanely sparkly finishes. Many people even dare to complain about rhythm circuits and too many switches being on a guitar!

I might not even attempt another, because I'm afraid lightning won't strike twice and the next one won't measure up.

Plus, with the bass cut switch and the right pickups, this guitar can honestly probably do everything I need a guitar to do. Firebird + bass cut is pretty much a Fender tone, and Firebird + tone knob +/- a mid boost is pretty much a PAF tone.

Normally, when I find a guitar I love, I make the mistake of re-buying it with the excuse that pickup and aesthetic changes will make it "different enough."

This one probably deserves to stand on its own. I don't need to push it in a Gibson direction because I have a Gibson for that, I don't need to push it in a Gretsch direction because I have a Gretsch for that, and I don't need to put Fender pickups in it because I have way too many Fenders.

Then I think, "but just imagine a purple sparkleburst on one..."

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:52 am

That guitar is ridiculous - I love it! Congrats.

Switches are like chillis - you can never have too many but some folk just can't handle them.