OSG World Cup: Semi Finals

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.

Poll ended at Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:59 am

Maggieo's black Telestar
30%
Mechanical Birds' white Jazzblaster
21%
No votes
smjenkins' brown Bass VI
29%
ThePearDream's sage green Bronco
20%

Total votes: 70

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:59 am

It's time for the last four. This has been a really fun tournament so far. Some entries might have slightly bent the £500 limit (which is fine) but I'm still pleased that we've got four bona-fide sub-£500 guitar in our semi finals.

Both of the guitars that made it through from Group F (this tournament's group of death?) are still in the competition. I deliberately kept guitars from different groups in opposite halves of the draw, so will they meet in the final?

We're guaranteed a group runner-up in the final from the Telestar v Jazzblaster match. Both excellent guitars, and really goes to show how the luck of the draw can knock strong contenders early.

In the other half of the draw, it's Bass VI v Bronco. Two guitars that were mentioned a lot in the comments section and as, the only surviving group winners, both have looked like favourites. But there's only space for one in the final.

Any of the four would be worthy winners, but which will make the final? You decide in the usual way! 2 votes, 3 days.

I'm sure you know what they all look like by now, but just in case:

Semi Final 1:

Maggieo's black Telestar:
Runner up from Group B. I don't know much about these, but they look cool and pop up on reverb for ~$400. Any more info in the comments would be great!

v

Mechanical Birds' white Jazzblaster:
Runner up from Group F. Started life as a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster, before being fitted with rewound reissue WRHBs amongst other modifications.

Semi Final 2:

smjenkins' brown Bass VI:
Winner of Group D. Squier Bass VI, refinished in brown with matching headstock.

v

ThePearDream's sage green Bronco:
Winner of Group F. Home-made Bronco/Jaguar, assembled for $450 in parts and materials.

If anyone wants to add more details or photos in the comments, please do! There are some great extra photos in the submissions thread.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: OSG World Cup: Semi Finals

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:41 am

I definitely didn't expect to make it this far. Best of luck to MaggieO, MechanicalBirds, and smjenkins!
Here are some more details and pics on mine.
ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:40 am
Weight : 7lb 12oz
Body: 2 piece poplar, 1.625"D, contoured neck heel
Body Finish: VW Sage Green Metallic, with thin Nitro clearcoat
Neck: 24", Maple with Rosewood and pearl dots, 9.5"R, narrow tall frets (0.95x0.47), Deep C shape, 0.830-0.920"D, buffalo horn nut
Neck Finish: TruOil
Tuners and string tree: Gotoh
Bridge: Am Pro
Vibrato: MIJ with Staytrem collet and arm
Pickguard : BWB
Pickups: Bootstrap Big Spotted Cat™ set
Pickup Covers: my own design printed by Shapeways
Switching: 3-way slide with settings for: both in parallel / "neck" pickup / both in series
Controls: 1M master volume, 1M master tone, wired Jaguar style, including the 56K resistor, Boss style knobs

Doug
@dpcannafax

Liquitone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Liquitone » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:45 am

I like the use of buffalo horn for for the nut. Don't think I ever saw that before. I've been trying all sort of exotic materials for guitar picks and buffalo horn was the one I stuck to using most and preferred it over bone. Of course you can't compare picks to nuts, but do you notice anything specific tone wise with the buffalo horn nut?, because I might try it for my Thunderbird Bass.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:19 am

Liquitone wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:45 am
I like the use of buffalo horn for for the nut. Don't think I ever saw that before. I've been trying all sort of exotic materials for guitar picks and buffalo horn was the one I stuck to using most and preferred it over bone. Of course you can't compare picks to nuts, but do you notice anything specific tone wise with the buffalo horn nut?, because I might try it for my Thunderbird Bass.
I don't notice any tone difference. It definitely smells better than bone when you are cutting it though. My main reason for using it was the color (I don't like the nuts to clash). For anybody interested, Philadelphia Luthier sells a two pack of blanks for $4.49.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Liquitone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Liquitone » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:45 am

Thanks for the link, I'm in Europe but I found a more local online shop that have them. I can see how a bone nut would clash a bit with that colour scheme yeah.

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:32 am

I LOVE that white blaster.

How do you have it wired?

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:18 am

And that's it: no group of death rematch as Maggieo's Telestar and smjenkins' Bass VI progress to the OSG world cup final!

Congratulations to everyone who has taken part so far, it has been fun!