AVRI Jazzmaster/Jaguar Strings

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Webrocker
Expat
Expat

AVRI Jazzmaster/Jaguar Strings

Post by Webrocker » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:41 am

Hi,

I was browsing through some forgotten boxes, and found this empty set of strings, which was originally included with the 1999/2000 or so "Vintage American Reissue" Jaguar and Jazzmaster.

Original AVRI string set

Does anyone know if these sets were/are regulary available or is this just a marketing thing at that time?

"stainless flats, .11,.14,.20,.30,.40.50" I wonder how these sound…

Anyway, just feeling old right now, because a "new" AVRI is now twenty years old already… *sigh. I remember very well the excitement back then, when Fender re-started the American made Off-Sets, and with the supposedly correct vintage specs, too.

cheers, rock on,
Tom
look ma, no string-buzz

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AVRI Jazzmaster/Jaguar Strings

Post by vistavision » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:14 am

They don't make them anymore. The 50L and 50XL sets are in the 2003 accessory price list. By the 2014 price list only the 50L are available.

Fun story. At the guitar shop I worked at there was a high school kid who started frequenting in the early 00's. Awesome kid, genuinely funny, and great to have around. He really got into wanting vintage spec stuff.
So, in his early 20s he ordered up an AVRI Jazzmaster. It showed up, and I immediately thought, "How can I fuck with him?" ;D. I knew he would put on the supplied flatwounds. So, using a Fender letterhead from an invoice and MS Word, I cut & pasted (literally!) and xeroxed together a "letter" from Fender. It read that due to the tension issues inherent to flatwound strings Fender wouldn't honor the warranty if you used them. I opened the JM box at the bottom, slid out the case, slipped in the letter, and put it back in the box and taped it up.
I was off the next day when he picked it up. Hilarity ensued. Calls were made. The best part was he couldn't figure out why it shipped with the flatwounds. I called him the next day and let him on it. We're still friends. And the letter still hangs in the shop shipping room.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

Webrocker
Expat
Expat

Re: AVRI Jazzmaster/Jaguar Strings

Post by Webrocker » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:22 am

Muaha,
great prank :-)
I would have freaked out, unboxing the new shiny brown tolex, browsing through the manuals, hang tags and other stuff and then finding this letter. Oof.
look ma, no string-buzz