New squier Bass VI colours at CME

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New squier Bass VI colours at CME

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:43 am

What happens in my cart when I input my address:

https://help.andertons.co.uk/hc/en-gb/a ... y-Country-

Probably for the best anyway. The CAD to GBP exchange rate suuuuucks right now plus if I were to ship to someone in the UK I'd end up paying VAT plus then the cost to reship would be around $150 and then I'd be paying Canadian sales taxes (12%) on top of the whole thing. Basically it would end up costing me around $250-300 more than buying one here just to have a blue one instead of black. For that money I can get an AVRI vibrato unit and possibly a replacement bridge.

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:31 am

My purple bass VI from Anderton's arrived last Monday. The color is difficult to catch on a photo. The last two photos show the color as it looks approximately in reality.

The good news is that fit and finish is good, electronics works properly.

The bad news is the nut as shown in the last two pics. It is really badly cut and the material seems to be of low quality. I've contacted Anderton's regarding this issue and am waiting for their response.

On the other hand, I planned to swap the nut sooner than later, so it is actually not a big deal.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:12 am

Igorilla wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:31 am
My purple bass VI from Anderton's arrived last Monday. The color is difficult to catch on a photo. The last two photos show the color as it looks approximately in reality.

The bad news is the nut as shown in the last two pics. It is really badly cut and the material seems to be of low quality. I've contacted Anderton's regarding this issue and am waiting for their response.

On the other hand, I planned to swap the nut sooner than later, so it is actually not a big deal.

It looks lovely! As usual I looked at the pictures first and was about to ask about the colour variation until I read your post. It looks much better (to my taste at least) in the headstock only photos. I'm not sure about the more saturated blueish look, but the more purple hue is beautiful.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:30 am

Yeah, they've been putting garbage nuts on the for forever. Easy enough to replace if you're so inclined.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:18 am

Igorilla wrote:
My purple bass VI from Anderton's arrived last Monday.
nice! i have one of the CME walnut/maple ones en route.

i'm wondering what people's level of satisfaction with the tuning machines is on these? good/bad/indifferent?
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:21 am

Embenny wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:30 am
Yeah, they've been putting garbage nuts on the for forever. Easy enough to replace if you're so inclined.
Yes, I am inclined :) I have already ordered the replacement nut.

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:23 am

dc wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:18 am
Igorilla wrote:
My purple bass VI from Anderton's arrived last Monday.
nice! i have one of the CME walnut/maple ones en route.

i'm wondering what people's level of satisfaction with the tuning machines is on these? good/bad/indifferent?
The tuning machines are solid on the one I've got from Anderton's.

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:19 pm

Igorilla wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:21 am
Embenny wrote:
Yes, I am inclined :) I have already ordered the replacement nut.
I got one of the first batch Squier VI on preorder. The nut looked like a child made it...some strings close together, others too far apart. I had to immediately make a new one before I could really play it. Amazing that they haven't gotten much better in the years since then!

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:38 pm

Igorilla wrote:

Oof, that last pic! The low E slot looks like it's almost off the fretboard!

You'd think that they'd have a jig at the factory for the nut slots rather than apparently eyeballing it.

That's worrisome as my Bass VI is en route right now and is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday.

The colour reminds me of that purple they used on the early 00's MIM Standards - I think it was called "Midnight" where it looked purple in some light and dark blue in other light.

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:46 pm

Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:38 pm

Oof, that last pic! The low E slot looks like it's almost off the fretboard!

You'd think that they'd have a jig at the factory for the nut slots rather than apparently eyeballing it.

That's worrisome as my Bass VI is en route right now and is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday.

The colour reminds me of that purple they used on the early 00's MIM Standards - I think it was called "Midnight" where it looked purple in some light and dark blue in other light.
It's a wonderful hack job, isn't it? :wtf:

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:53 pm

"The bad news is the nut as shown in the last two pics. It is really badly cut and the material seems to be of low quality. I've contacted Anderton's regarding this issue and am waiting for their response.

On the other hand, I planned to swap the nut sooner than later, so it is actually not a big deal."

AFAIK they're all like this. I have a pink one, the slotting is similarly close to the fretboard edge, it hasn't proven to be an issue in practice.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:16 am

Popped into Andertons and bought one of these, I got a purple Bstock one in the January sale for a bargain price… they threw in a padded soft case and new strings as some had rusted a bit…guitar was as new..no difference even though it was B stock.

Cleaned and polished the frets and oiled the fretboard, sorted one high fret, tightened the truss rod half a turn

Gigged it a couple of days later…Plays great, sounds great and did the job perfectly well. I see no need(at least I’m my case) to do any mods at all. I recommend.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:47 am

Embenny wrote:
It’s strange they use proper bone nuts on the Jags and Jazzmasters. I just picked up a CV70s Jaguar a few days ago, and sure enough it has a bone nut. I’ll have to get the nut done again once I take the 9s off and put proper strings on it, but it came to me properly done.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:56 am

Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:43 am
What happens in my cart when I input my address:

https://help.andertons.co.uk/hc/en-gb/a ... y-Country-

Probably for the best anyway. The CAD to GBP exchange rate suuuuucks right now plus if I were to ship to someone in the UK I'd end up paying VAT plus then the cost to reship would be around $150 and then I'd be paying Canadian sales taxes (12%) on top of the whole thing. Basically it would end up costing me around $250-300 more than buying one here just to have a blue one instead of black. For that money I can get an AVRI vibrato unit and possibly a replacement bridge.
I suspect guitar center is to blame for this…..

Andertons always shipped their exclusives fairly priced at least to the states, probably everywhere…
Then they got the epiphone lemon burst 59 Les and that black ebony board strat, both that guitar center also had as exclusives….

The epiphone ended up being (I forget the exact dollar but close to 100$) cheaper than it was at GC, even with the international shipping…
Strat (with shipping) at Andertons sat priced where GCs sale pricing falls and even more of a difference than the epi.
Possibly having to do with Andertons being less greedy and the exchange rate (?) not sure really !

But anyway, mysteriously very soon after they get the same exclusives Andertons can’t ship their exclusives overseas anymore….

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:33 am

In the meantime, I installed a new bone nut. In addition, I treated the fingerboard with shaft oil and lemon oil.
I treated the bridge with purple Loctite because the height adjustment screws were too loose.
The intonation is perfect now (with a shim in the neck pocket and LaBella flatwounds).
No need for any other mods except for a fancy pickguard. :)