60th Anniversary Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Gearbox
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

60th Anniversary Jazzmaster

Post by Gearbox » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:25 am

I'm new here. I don't even own and offset yet but I'm trying to change that. I'm looking at a 60th anniversary Jazzmaster or building one just like it using Warmoth. Does any one have any knowledge of the build quality of the 60th anniversary model? I know its MIM and that's about it.

I've use Warmoth before and have always been happy with their quality.

superficial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 60th Anniversary Jazzmaster

Post by superficial » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:50 am

I almost bought one of these recently when it came (used) into my local shop for what looked like a bargain. But someone else snapped it up :fp:

I think the quality is supposed to be pretty good - in line with Vinteras etc. That is: nice specs, usually finished well but occasional issues with QC. If you get a good one there's probably no real benefit spending more on a USA model.

But the main reason the 60th models are quite desirable is because they have a great combination of specs that Fender don't have elsewhere in the lineup. In particular:
Matching painted headstock
Blocks / binding

They also have several other niceties that are annoyingly absent on some recent Jazzmasters:
Normal JM wiring (full rhythm circuit)
'Proper' (classic) trem positioning
Nice but traditional pickups (PV65 IIRC)
9.5" radius neck IIRC
Hard case
Normal bridge (not a TOM)

The closest in the current line up is probably the TVL JM or one of the Vintera 60's.

Basically, the 60th model ticks a lot of boxes for JM afficionados. If you're not bothered by those things, then there's probably no real benefit of the 60th model over a Vintera. At least here (UK), the 60th anniversary models seem like they command a significant premium used. If you can get it for around the price of a new Vintera, that's probably a pretty good deal.

DavidG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DavidG » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:01 am

The other thing about these is the finish, which is nitro. So I would class these in general as a specced up vintera in terms of quality...before vinteras existed!

Always been close to getting one, but the pao ferro boards in these seemed to range wildly, from dark to an almost maple like shade. Kills the look for me with the light shaded boards.
Last edited by DavidG on Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:32 am

Also worth knowing that for some unknown reason the pickup position at the bridge is in the wrong position for the Warmoth Jazzmaster and this then means you have to buy their pickguard. It’s a pain.

superficial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by superficial » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:32 am

The other thing about these is the finish, which is nitro.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. It is a great spec list.

I agree about the Pau Ferro too. I can see that it looks pretty, but it just always looks kind of wrong to me!

Sub-Hip
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Sub-Hip » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:45 pm

I bought a Daphne blue one a few weeks ago. Saw it online at Reverb for a good price, went to the shop website and it was 50 quid cheaper than reverb so jumped on it, took a chance buying online. For me it is everything a Jazzmaster should be. Great pickups, B&B (if you can get over the non trad blocks), rhythm circuit (I use them), and correct trem placement. Also 9.5 radius which is a plus for me.

Pau Ferro fretboard, but the one I got is pretty dark, maybe the previous owner darkened it but looks great. Also luckily came with a staytrem, original in the case. The nitro finish is a big plus, feels so good.

I have put a mint guard on and it is stunning, love the matching headstock, and the colour. It is slightly greener than my CV Daphne blue Jazzmaster, presumably as the clearcoat yellows through age. I would post a pic if I knew how! It is my first post here.

Love this Jazzmaster, for me it is one for life. Having had an American pro, on which I loved the build quality and the neck, but was ultimately left disappointed with the sound and never got on with the switch placement. For me the 60th Anniversary was perfect spec for me.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:47 pm

Sub-Hip wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:45 pm
I'm afraid we're going to need to see some photographic evidence

DavidG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DavidG » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:02 pm

Sub-Hip wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:45 pm
I bought a Daphne blue one a few weeks ago. Saw it online at Reverb for a good price, went to the shop website and it was 50 quid cheaper than reverb so jumped on it, took a chance buying online. For me it is everything a Jazzmaster should be. Great pickups, B&B (if you can get over the non trad blocks), rhythm circuit (I use them), and correct trem placement. Also 9.5 radius which is a plus for me.

Pau Ferro fretboard, but the one I got is pretty dark, maybe the previous owner darkened it but looks great. Also luckily came with a staytrem, original in the case. The nitro finish is a big plus, feels so good.

I have put a mint guard on and it is stunning, love the matching headstock, and the colour. It is slightly greener than my CV Daphne blue Jazzmaster, presumably as the clearcoat yellows through age. I would post a pic if I knew how! It is my first post here.

Love this Jazzmaster, for me it is one for life. Having had an American pro, on which I loved the build quality and the neck, but was ultimately left disappointed with the sound and never got on with the switch placement. For me the 60th Anniversary was perfect spec for me.
Was that the one in rich tone? I was slightly disappointed I missed that one. As you say, that had a nice dark fretboard, many have the really light board which just knocks the whole look for me.

Sub-Hip
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Sub-Hip » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:50 pm

Yes the one from Richtone. I jumped on it straight away as knew it wouldn't be around long. It is in very good condition other than a tiny chip from the laquer on the headstock and the binding losing some of its laquer. It seemed virtually unplayed other than that.

Sub-Hip
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Sub-Hip » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:53 pm

Sub-Hip
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Sub-Hip » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:00 pm

Pic with the tort compared to mint, also put the witch hats on

Sub-Hip
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Sub-Hip » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:03 pm

Pic of the new one with my CV which has upgraded wiring, staytrem and avri trem. Now considering pickup upgrade and whether I go for av65s to match as a backup or something different

I'll stop spamming you with pics now I've worked out how to do it :D

superficial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by superficial » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:59 am

Ha, small world.
I almost bought one of these recently when it came (used) into my local shop for what looked like a bargain. But someone else snapped it up :fp:
That was the one I was talking about too from RichTone, looks like I'm not the only one who missed out. Coincidentally I'd also already sourced a mint guard to go on it as well.

Looks like you got a good one!

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:50 am

Sounds like there's a few of us from Sheffield on here!

Gearbox
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Gearbox » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:14 am

Thanks for all the replies (and pics)! It's a lot of help. I think 'Ill just find a 60th anniversary. Seems like everything I'm looking for.