SCAM ALERT: fake celluloid nitrate pickguards on ebay & reverb by portlandmusic aka fender parts & pickguards

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: SCAM ALERT: fake celluloid nitrate pickguards on ebay & reverb by portlandmusic aka fender parts & pickguards

Post by Horsefeather » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:58 am

Wow, I'm surprised to see that the capabilities of printing devices has advanced to the point where they can print on the edges of the top layer of the guard to simulate the look of the thickness of real celluloid. In one of the closeup shots you can clearly see the pixelated ink, though. Lame.

I've seen those listing before and assumed they were guards he was buying somewhere and working over before marking up. Good to know they should be avoided.

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: SCAM ALERT: fake celluloid nitrate pickguards on ebay & reverb by portlandmusic aka fender parts & pickguards

Post by algeriet » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:42 am

Just wanted to chime in, as a Spitfire owner, that Lava Guard, or especially Avant Guard would be my next purchase, especially in relation to price.

https://www.avantguardshop.com

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:44 am

Horsefeather wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:58 am
Wow, I'm surprised to see that the capabilities of printing devices has advanced to the point where they can print on the edges of the top layer of the guard to simulate the look of the thickness of real celluloid. In one of the closeup shots you can clearly see the pixelated ink, though. Lame.

I've seen those listing before and assumed they were guards he was buying somewhere and working over before marking up. Good to know they should be avoided.
It's printed beneath a clear layer I believe. That would make up the thickness and egde.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:45 am

(N/A)